Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey 390 T problem

Options
  • 21-12-2022 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

My neighbour has come to me with a problem with his 390T. He says it has a smell of fumes coming from the exhaust that he didn’t notice before. I went for a look and I thought that the colour smoke coming from the exhaust was white in colour. Otherwise I can’t see anything else obvious. He doesn’t do computers so trying to help him out the best I can and this board has helped me out before…

Anyone have any suggestions where to start with something like this? Could it be a blocked filter somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

I suppose check oil and water would be your first step. Make sure that they're not mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Could be issue with fuel injectors. That tractor must be guts of 40 years old. Had to get the bores done on a massey years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I called over to him this morning to see that tractor. Oil and water were fine. There was a real smell of fumes off her if she was running and you hopped down off her. Puffing white smoke constantly. The pre cleaner filter on top of the tractor looked fairly dirty and had not been changed in a while. Would that be causing it to be so choked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

I wouldn't think so. A blocked air filter usually results in black smoke.

When you checked the oil, was the level on the dipstick alright? Diesel can enter the sump, raising the level. This would result in it burning oil, causing smoke and a smell....

After that, it's probably diesel dripping into a cylinder. This could be a faulty heater plug or injector.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Thanks for the advice, I did check the oil, it was up to the maximum and he told me he changed the oil a few weeks ago thinking it was dirty oil. I’ll look into the pump, it must be something there when it’s so fumey.

you wouldn’t think it’s the turbo? I don’t have a turbo so don’t know much about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't know particulars of the 390T itself but other Massey turbos of slightly later have fueling issues when pump ages.

There is a diaphram that alters fueling based on turbo requirements at any given throttle. If this goes out of tolerance or torn you can get under fueling resulting in no exhaust smoke and lack of power or overfuel which could be what you are seeing.

I'd certainly be looking at the pump and if it has thousands of hours on it, consider a rebuild of the pump if nothing obvious can be seen.

The turbos, certainly control wise are very straight forward and don't have any electronic control or anything like you might see on a recent car.

Advertisement