Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It seems to me they are concerned about potential abuse occurring in these places.

It's very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It seems to me they are concerned about potential abuse occurring in these places.

I’m sure it does 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

No surprise that you support that kind of carry on.

A pity you're not concerned about the children in these places.

’Twas a poor effort the first time mate, time to drop it now and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The women in east wall or what ever its called expressed concerns are they not to be believed ?

You hardly need my permission to believe whatever, whomever, whenever you want?

No idea what you're on about.

The refugee Council or whatever the name is, warned of serious harm in Citywest.

It's pretty serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shock horror…. The pro population spiral / unlimited refugee cheerleaders, found out, again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You are deliberately acting stupid now.

Looking for a rise perhaps. 🙄

What do you say when someone from the county council contacts you over planning, roads, etc, do you say they are public sector employees rather then county council employees?

He specifically stated ultimately CPO was an option. You left that bit out.

We all know how Ireland works, nod wink wink.

Where will all the jobs be in Mayo for all these people?

It has often been stated in the past that moving asylum seekers/refugees to rural villages and towns was a way of renewal for these places.

And at the moment it is housing asylum seekers and refugees that is of paramount importance, not the local Paddy or Mary.

I am not allowed discuss …

Have the children in Citywest been moved yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The Government is set to distribute €8 million amongst NGOs and other organizations that qualify in order to help asylum seekers find housing, according to a new tender document that Gript got their hands on. Paying an NGO/'s to fulfill the objective of finding housing(not new builds or vacant homes) for 18,000 migrants across the 26 counties with our tax money I see as a massive misuse of funds here and a cute earner for the ngos

https://gript.ie/christmas-present-2-government-to-award-e8m-to-find-housing-for-migrants/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Some people think that dole heads are bad, but NGOs are the biggest societal leeches you'll find, and very powerful leeches at that.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Nothings a problem when you can throw taxpayers money at it.

Honestly horrible carry on, and just kicking the problem down the road and making it worse long term

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

This thread is about accommodation of non-Ukrainian refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Here is the full text. Not one mention of Ukrainians or asylum seekers. It is you that has twisted the narrative to conclude this is a scheme to give free houses to refugees not a scheme to release properties that are out of use to the market.

A pilot project to turn vacant properties back into homes is being launched by Mayo County Council.

The project will be funded by the Government's Housing Finance Agency and aims to identify vacant and derelict properties in Mayo and put the owners in touch with potential buyers.

This will be facilitated through start-up housing-solutions platform Homebuyer's Hero.

Director of Services with Mayo County Council Tom Gilligan explained that the council will assess vacant properties and then contact the owners to see if they are interested in taking part in the project.

Then those people who are interested in buying the properties can view them on the Homebuyer's Hero website where they can declare an interest.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, he said the project is focused on people who are looking for homes, who want to make it a principal private residence.

In relation to pricing, Mr Gilligan said property will be valued and he hopes that there will be co-operation and collaboration between the homeowners and the prospective buyers so that there will be a fair price paid.

However, the council will have the option for a compulsory purchase order.

"This is obviously something that we will use, but we want to use it as a last resort."

He said that as part of the Government’s housing plan 'Housing for All’, it does specify that local authorities can use CPOs.

"One of the key aspects here is that up to 2,500 vacant properties will be CPO’d for resale onto the open market, so local authorities like Mayo County Council do have the powers and the capacity to CPO properties," Mr Gilligan said.

He added that the council wants to match up the property owner with potential home buyer.

According to the last census, there are more than 166,000 vacant properties in Ireland, he said, adding that in Mayo, there are "9,166 vacant properties".

"So unfortunately, our towns, villages and some parts of our cities, we do have the scourge of vacant and derelict properties which is a total blight in relation to our society," he said.

The project is already running with several properties having already been identified. The council is working in conjunction with home buyers and the hope is that throughout 2023 to have a number of transactions completed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Commoner threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I seen a few notices on doors in the area recently.

I have not read it in full but its something confirming from the county council that this property is unoccupied.

Something like that but I can't recall the exact words.

Does this sound like the new scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭Jeff2

That seems like a good way to have squatters move in and then it's useless to the council. In my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that Ireland and the Irish government also has a responsibility towards their own Irish younger generation first and foremost. Helping Ukrainian refugees or any other refugees would be the 2nd task, not the first. When young Irish people go to university in Dublin, where do they get to stay and live? - if they are from the country? Not everyone fancies a 2 hour train ride one way to get to university.

The young generation of Ireland would seriously have to ask themselves whether they would be better of studying overseas or taking jobs overseas to make money and save money for a possible down payment upon their return to Ireland? - if they would return at all.

Helping refugees or not is one thing, but I strongly think that the younger generation of Ireland have to bear the brunt of the accommodation and rental crisis and NGOs with their "everyone is welcome attitude" have the upper hand.

Going to university is also an investment into the future, not only personally, but for the country of Ireland as well.

Star Bingo threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thre within easy sight of my home. Owned by a Scottish person who has not used them in the five years I am here. More a little further away

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Houses such as you describe do get rented out, as I know from experience the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know in my area these old rural cottages are getting bought up and renovated. This is still a very costly, complex task. There are few builders around with the experience and ability to complete such renovations to a good standard. It’s too late to look at these for the refugees as it would probably take at least a decade to get a large amount of these fixed up and of course who would pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Reports of a mass stabbing at direct provision centre in Killarney.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rtenews/status/1609685984400248832

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

All is fine. Nothing to worry about here at all. Is that the standard of post we are allowed here now or else a ban...???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We are throwing groups of men into unsuitable accommodation together.

They have no job prospects, most likely very little English and have nothing to do all day.

Who could forsee these type of incidents occurring, only far right loons.

Let's be glad no innocent Irish person was caught up in it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Killarney will be dump in a few years time. The hoteliers have gone for short term gains at the expense of the overall product.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement