Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I prefer the pre ceramic Subs(& much prefer the very early ones. MilSub being top of the totem for me). More elegant as you say. Though the newer Subs & Rolex overall have far better bracelets. Best there are IMHO. And far better finishing and movements. And if you prefer a beefier watch the only choice is a new one.

Funny enough last week I spotted a Sub in the wild for the first time in ages. Actually the first interesting watch in the wild in a goodly while. A chap who runs my local hardware shop where I'd pop in from time to time. I thought feck it, for a change I'll ask him about it. Nice guy. He's had it ages, got it as a present and just recently got in back from a service which he did say wasn't cheap. I was like you don't say... 😁 We had a chat and he's not a watch nerd so he has been surprised how mad popular the whole watch thing had become of late and how valuable they can be now. He sees it as "his watch". Proper order. Noted how reliable it's been* It looked in great nick.

*not a shock. After the end times among the few things left working will be Keith Richards, 90's Toyotas, Seiko Divers and Rolex Subs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,439 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Wibbs - "*not a shock. After the end times among the few things left working will be Keith Richards, 90's Toyotas, Seiko Divers and Rolex Subs."

LOLOL! Back in the middle of the cold war we were told the only living things that would survive a nuclear war were cockroaches and scorpions. I guess they should have included Keith Richards in that list 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Tried these two on last night, which would you choose? For me it’s the no date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Agree.

It looks cleaner without the date.

I can't see the date on my Stein even with my glasses on!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like a date on a watch, it's the one complication I actually use. But the sub looks so much better without the cyclops I'd get the no date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im the same, i think it looks better without a date but i miss a date when im wearing a watch without one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Agree with you that without the date it definitely looks better.My first one was a sub and the one I have now and will be keeping is the sub date . Whenever I wear a watch without a date I realise how many times I go to my wrist to check the date .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Depending on your point of view its either the shorthand name for the 126613LB submariner or a stupid name used by fools who have somehow found 15k to spend on a watch and are willing to go on AD lists. My opinion is its the shorthand for the two tone blue sub cause reference numbers are for bores.

I have issues with the colourway for the blusey, the ceramic one is very saturated in colour and it give a bit of an egyptian souvenir vibe. I prefer the colour of the preceramic. but as above the new ones are superior in form and function.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. The cyclops always looks like a bit of a gimmick to my eyes. I've seen a few owners on forums who've removed the cyclops. Looks much cleaner, though then it shows how tiny the date window is. Why they don't just make the date and window larger in the first place. The space for it is there and it would be about the same size as the cyclops magnification anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm leaning towards the no-date purely for the convenience and the better balanced dial. Both are classics and you won't go wrong with either TBF.

• Advertisement

i think nowadays there is an AR coating on the underside of the glass where the cyclops sits and if you remove the cyclops that becomes quite apparent.

One thing people never say is that the date on a Rolex with a cyclops it totally unreadable unless you are looking exactly perpendicular to the window. At a glance all you see is the reflection and distortion of the cyclops. No date defo looks better, but for across the room recognition having the bubble on the crystal is nice. As a functional complication its not brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Nice to see some people here own Rolexs, do your wives object to you spending 14k on a watch ? Mine would leave me lol. I would love one if I came into abit of extra money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

The talk of cyclops and dates made me realise I don't own any mechanical watches with a date. I only ever had one, a 1930's Mimo because they were the first to have a date window rather than a pointer. It was positively tiny though and wore even smaller so I sold it on. So now the only date watches I have run by the power of magical electrons.

1973 Omega Seamaster "Mariner". Driven by Omega's first all inhouse quartz movememt. Little beauty it is too. Omega went on to make some of the finest analogue quartz movements of anyone.

yep mine got me an IWC Portuguese when we got engaged, a while ago now. She has developed a taste for watches herself since 😁

imo its easy for a lady, cartier tank and a rolex lady president and you are sorted for life.

You think my opinions on watches are strong?, you should hear my wifes. She holds a better collection than me at the moment. Honestly is a hobby best shared with your wife than one you seek permission for. Also a woman can wear a man watch no problem...its a power move these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Had occasion to be with friends at a semi-formal event last night, which was very festive.

I noticed one of the older gentlemen there, who was sporting a bit of bling, bracelet, signet ring, etc, also had a lovely, co-axial Speedmaster Mark II with the racing dial.

It looked quite at home beneath a french cuff.

I was wearing my vintage Mark II on a Forstner 1450 too.

Of all the Omegas to cross paths in Ireland at least, 2 Speedie mark 2's wouldn't have been at all what I'd have lain money on. That's a lovely watch tho, the orange accent really does set it off well.

• Advertisement

Totally agree it goes a long way towards both making it recognisable at a distance but also has the wonderful benefit of that black hole effect making fakes a little easier to spot.

I'm the last person to take advice from on a convenient complication from anyway given my own fav is a GMT 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

that is lovely, like a bit of colour

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

The no date is cleaner. Both are a perfect fit for you. If you can afford one and you love it, go get one! It's a classic, has been for decades and most likely will be for decades.

It's one of the few watches that even if you bought at the top of the hype earlier this year, it will have gone down maybe 2 grand by now. Very likely more than recovered in the next few years too.

@mondeo - ask herself would she rather you keep your money in your savings account and lose 10% per year on it because of inflation, or have a decent chance to make some gains over the years, that you will be able to spend on her. That should sound convincing. Or to her maybe not 😂

ask herself would she rather you keep your money in your savings account and lose 10% per year on it because of inflation, or have a decent chance to make some gains over the years, that you will be able to spend on her. That should sound convincing. Or to her maybe not 😂

Its always important to make the man-maths work 😉 We aren't all as lucky to have as understanding a Mrs as Fitz or even one with even a passing interest in watches. Mine, thinks a miband pro is all she needs 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My wife bought me my panerai and is now trying to decide between a 36mm OP or a Cartier for herself .I went to buy her a tennis bracelet and she said she’d rather spend that price range on a watch but she knows full well I’ll buy her the tennis bracelet after the watch as well.Thats women maths for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

No date Sub looks cleaner and flies under the radar much better.

I’d say I wear my date one <10% of the time but it gets noticeably more attention than the no date that I wear most days. I would be a lot more careful where I wear it.

And as the lads said, if you can get the Mrs on board then it helps. My Datejust has effectively been annexed by herself so that’s the price of happiness in my gaff.

Happy days. You can only wear one watch yourself, so better if she wears the other one rather than it sitting in a box somewhere!

My wife has not much interest in watches. Got her a nice slim Skagen years ago, she's happy with that. I've suggested buying her a ladies datejust in the past, no interest. And a Cartier tank, some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I quite fancy a Cartier Tank myself, Jeff Goldblum style.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Was in keanes in Limerick today.

Only a single two tone datejust for sale.

blackdial explorer 2 (which has grown on me recently) and a few 40k gold sky on exhibition.

Also no omega. Have the gotten rid from that branch or in general I wonder.

• Advertisement

I was in looking for Omega and Tudor in there recently and was told that they were all in Cork and could be up next day for viewing.

There is a serious dearth of options locally.

Advertisement