Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing cattle slurry

Options
  • 18-12-2019 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Being asked if i could sign for Importing cattle slurry. checked with my agri consultant and he has done the figures based on my stocking rate and fertiliser and meal usage it turns out I can.

question i ask here is does Importing cattle slurry increase the chance of a inspection or anything else department of ag or indeed environment related.

Would be around 100k gallons.
    Also should i charge for this service if you like?
    As i see it my ground does just fine without Importing someone else's slurry and would be doing the exporter a huge favour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Nobbies wrote: »
    Being asked if i could sign for Importing cattle slurry. checked with my agri consultant and he has done the figures based on my stocking rate and fertiliser and meal usage it turns out I can.

question i ask here is does Importing cattle slurry increase the chance of a inspection or anything else department of ag or indeed environment related.

As i see it my ground does just fine without Importing someone else's slurry and would be doing the exporter a huge favour.

Tis abit late to be spreading, should be no reason for an audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Import slurry myself every year with a few years, and haven’t had an inspection...

Usually the person exporting gives something for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Import slurry myself every year with a few years, and haven’t had an inspection...

Usually the person exporting gives something for it...

Would you put a monetary figure on it?
    Say for every 50k gallons. bearing in mind i dont consider my land as being in need off another's slurry. i don't know the exporter personally, so not a neighbour as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Tenner for 1000k gallons is tbe price. Makes zero difference about the inspection chances.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Tenner for 1000k gallons is tbe price. Makes zero difference about the inspection chances.

Happy days if your tenner per 1000k gallons is on the money. ???

• Advertisement

DukeCaboom wrote: »

In fairness though if Importing cattle slurry and the only reason as in my case i,de consider it was for a monetary gain. If it does in reality raise my chances of a inspection i would need a decent payment to bother with the increased riskof one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

In fairness though if Importing cattle slurry and the only reason as in my case i,de consider it was for a monetary gain. If it does in reality raise my chances of a inspection i would need a decent payment to bother with the increased riskof one

Mine is only going about 7 miles.

Dont think it would work as well if i said the opposite side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Going by the first sentence of the OP, this thread should be closed down

Going by the first sentence of the OP, this thread should be closed down

Sounds like your taking high ground?

Sounds like your taking high ground?
    We'll are you actually taking in slurry or just signing for taking in slurry? Big difference. Shouldn't be advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

We'll are you actually taking in slurry or just signing for taking in slurry? Big difference. Shouldn't be advertised.

Think you’re reading way too much into it. He did say he didn’t think his ground was in need of it, that reads to me that he was considering spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Odelay wrote: »
    Think you’re reading way too much into it. He did say he didn’t think his ground was in need of it, that reads to me that he was considering spreading it.

"Being asked if i could sign for" it's the interpretation of this.

mycro2013 wrote: »
    "Being asked if i could sign for" it's the interpretation of this.

But the poster said in the same post “As i see it my ground does just fine without Importing someone else's slurry and would be doing the exporter a huge favour.”

You’re taking it completely out of context.

Nonsense like what injuryprone is suggesting is why lots like myself don't post much on boards anymore. Reading far too much into someones post and jumping to a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

With derogation coming under the spotlight for nitrates on farms, exporting of nitrates is being followed up. A lad in this end of the world took in 300k of slurry in to a bog with a six foot gate as the only access and a 12 mile away from the dairy exporter and wondered how he was inspected by the local authority.

Nonsense like what injuryprone is suggesting is why lots like myself don't post much on boards anymore. Reading far too much into someones post and jumping to a conclusion.

Keep posting, we need people to ask questions or else the rest of us will never learn.

You could just have clarified that you will be taking in slurry. It was you that said that you're being asked to sign for rather than just take in slurry.
    You're sounding very defensive.
    You and your neighbour are very well prepared given that the slurry probably won't be spread for months yet and won't have to 'sign for' til this time next year.
    Hardly jumping to conclusions when export forms for 2019 are currently being sent in before the end of December.

You could just have clarified that you will be taking in slurry. It was you that said that you're being asked to sign for rather than just take in slurry.
    You're sounding very defensive.
    You and your neighbour are very well prepared given that the slurry probably won't be spread for months yet and won't have to 'sign for' til this time next year.
    Hardly jumping to conclusions when export forms for 2019 are currently being sent in before the end of December.

Ok garda sergeant. this will be my last post on the matter seeing as i,m defensive as you put it and your inquisitive on one word.
    what other word would one use?ultimately i would be SIGNING if i went ahead with it.

Best of luck in your policing of others language.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

With derogation coming under the spotlight for nitrates on farms, exporting of nitrates is being followed up. A lad in this end of the world took in 300k of slurry in to a bog with a six foot gate as the only access and a 12 mile away from the dairy exporter and wondered how he was inspected by the local authority.

First off, calm it down a bit lads. There probably is a risk that ppl taking in or exporting slurry would be under the spotlight for an inspection as derogation rules tighten up.

It's worth roughly a bag of 0 7 30 as far as nutrients go per 1000 gals. There is less land available to take in slurry now compared to a few years ago, main reason for this is that farmers in GLAS had to sample soils and P levels were higher than the assumed level of index 3 previous to the sampling taking place.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

If it is ok to bring this back up as it is the most accurate result I found when searching for this topic.... I am considering taking in cattle and pig slurry at the moment. Could anyone guide me as to how I could calculate how much I can take or how I would go about finding out exactly. Google results gave me the NMP on the Teagasc but all that was in PDF form. Also I don't have an advisor so I just wanted to be sure I did it right before accepting slurry.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

If you're taking in slurry at the moment, it will need to come into a store, to be spread from Jan 13th.

You will need to have your farm soil sampled, because if not sampled, you will be deemed to be index 4 for P giving you no P allowance, and you will not be able to import any slurry.

You can import as much as your soil samples allow, but in any case you cannot exceed 170kg of total organic N on your farm between your own stock and the imported product.

Any movement of slurry from one farm to another are done electronically, sonthe exporter will have to instigate the movement online, and you will have to accept online.

Quiet a bit to it, and one of the great positives of having a good teagasc advisor is that they'll handle all that hassel for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Hi all , imported some pig slurry this year and am just wondering how do u go about importing it online on agfood , it has been exported online but I can't find where to accept it

Thanks a million Alps for taking the time to post it. Yeah that is the plan , going to take it in next week and week after for spreading when the dates open. The longer this goes on the more I think I need an adviser!

Forgot to add.... I don't have the farm sampled as I hadn't intended taking any slurry up to lately . So on that basis reading above, does being indexed at 4 automatically mean in effect I can't take any slurry until I do sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

It's in nitrates section I think, well hidden but if you can't find it I'll log on later and tell you which section...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

That's good advice. It is the phosphorous that will catch the importer out and if no soil sample results available that indicate index 1 or 2 then steer clear of importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭raindodger

you go into exports put in 1/1/22 in dates and todays in other box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

@Tipperarymike are you getting this slurry for free, getting money for taking it or are you paying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Commercially sensitive information in any line of business..😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

True to a point. The reason I ask is one of the opening comments on this thread was to charge €10 per 1000 gallons for taking it in. I'm curious if thats the case as I used to take in slurry and got it for free, whereas this year I was being charged €35 per 1000 gallons to get it. I'm wondering then if its get paid, get nothing or pay for it at this time. Don't want to know any money details at all as to costs.

• Advertisement

No harm in ever asking a question Rooster. Getting it for free because i have a good bit of room at the moment and it suits both parties. I imagine when the spreading dates are open lads would have less interest in getting rid of stuff or twould be easier anyway to get someone to take pig and cattle slurry.

Advertisement