Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year upon us - what are you hoping for?

Options
  • 22-12-2022 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭

I recall seeing these new year plan threads for the last few years. Here's the latest incarnation. I didn't bother putting a year on the title as the new boards is a pain in the hole for searching, quoting and what not. This way this thread will be relevant for any year!

I'll go first since I'm here.

• I'm building the new house and plough on at that for the year. That will be the main focus. No date for when we'd be in but would be nice to be there by this time next year.
    • Parents another year closer to 80. Must try look after them better and help the sister in her plans to move back to Ireland
    • Continue on as usual on the farm. I'd like to have more say but not to be unfortunately. Father isn't keen on that or in a transfer. I'll continue doing what needs to be done when asked and not worry about anything else.

2022 thread

Post edited by roosterman71 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Keep the business tipping along as it is. Doing well and want to keep it that way.

Hope to make a start on the last machinery shed by the end of the year 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

New Shed 2 bay slats 2 bays dry bedding (Organic standard for the 60% grant)

Solar panels (Again availing of the 60% TAMS grants)

New Wardrobes for 2 bedrooms (No grant here unfortunately)

Build a new front porch for the house, I'm losing half the heating out under the front door!!

Cull back a few cows so that I'm not under pressure in Organics.

Fit the back window for the tractor that has been sitting in the shed with 2 years. (note if I repeat this line next year than feel free to give kick up the hole)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Get 2 "project tractors" liquidated.

Other than that I always try to be happy regardless of what happen's. I always try not to let external factors effect my happiness.

But those 2 **** tractors must go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Cull of rushes and drainage in some fields.

Get handling facilities built up.

Get to position where less time and effort is required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

In no particular order…

* Try to put a few dairy-beef heifers in calf thru AI

* Price new slurry storage and figure out which options might fit a long-term plan

* Clear back ferns and furze around a field and put up electric fence

* Figure out solar/PV panel options for the sheds

* Buy my own topper and top more

* Join Glanbia Twenty/20 scheme (if it’s worth it)

* Go on a few farm walks

* Drink more and work less

* Get better at YouTube videos

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Work: Hoping to apply for a transfer for a new job. No guarantee I’ll get it but otherwise will be stuck in a new place for next 21 years and the new boss doesn’t like me so it will be a struggle.

home- paint the house before communion

try sort a few bits and start working upstairs.-eldest is 8 and I’m hoping to have it sorted for her 12th so better start.

farm-

*reduce costs at all costs. If I don’t get into acres, I’ll have no option but to look at planting- have about €11k of bps/anc a year and have to pay my mother €10k a year so need schemes to have any hope to do anything.

*no more bull so AI a few cows and clear off whatever doesn’t keep.

*Keep tackling rushes, improve fencing, build a few walls in shed.

Finances

keep plugging away at 3 short term loans- have 14 months left in 2 and they add up to €900 each/month so eat up any free money.

family:

* always solid enough on this end but probably make a playhouse together and try improve raised beds.

*take OH out more.

personal:

*make some time for myself. During lockdown, I slowly ran a marathon distance- now, barely have time for a walk and have put on the weight I lost so want to get fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

Might liquidate some stock😜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭893bet

Where’s last years thread so we can see what we missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

Less than you would think- around the same price as a new 150base hp tractor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Being nosey and you don't need to answer but are you paying the 20 odd percent income tax on that 10000 euro or finding a tax exemption someway? 2000 euro is a big hit to give the tax man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Not in acres so no Glas money for next year.

farm; but if drainage in one field. Tidy up around farm yard after building shed last year which was never done this year.

house build garage and put up gates and landscape the garden some bit.

family. Go on another good family holiday. Great Crain last summer.

get fit. Putting on a good bit of weight over past 12 months.

try reduce work hours in job. And just get better work life balance. Constantly rushing around and fed up of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭893bet

I did what I said I would do last year pretty much.

I pressed the organic button this year so

1) Zero preventable calf losses at calving.

2) Sow some red clover and improve grass land management.

3) Top a little earlier and a little more often. Avail of the 60 percent grant and buy myself a new mower.

4) Move the weanling cattle a little more often.

5) Maybe fence and out farm. Kinda depends on if I join acres or not as might make sense to put in a 1.5m riparian zone and let that pay for the fence.

6) Maybe a simple handling unit and crush on an out farm towards the end of the year. Will depend on the finances.

7) Try figure out what system I am going to run in organics.

Personal life

1) Spend less time on my phone. It will make more time for everything else that can only be value add.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Pay her about 7200 in salary and remainder in electricity(connected to farm anyway) and couple of bills.

Haven’t paid the accountant yet for managing that part so not fully certain of fees.

from my mother point of view, she gets €597 from me per month, I pay about €9 in her tax. That number keeps her under some thresholds.

it’s the first year of it so not fully clear myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Consolidation here for 2023, get as many cattle killed off grass by Jul, without much feeding.

looking at TAMS for a weighing scales and machinery shed would be a nice to add aswell.

and 100% buy no machinery!

off farm, like us all drop a bit of weight, have been alot better at work life balance but need to keep on it.

get the driveway done to finish the house, wife is looking for concrete as you can powerwash the green off it (we're surrounded in trees) I'd prefer tarmacadam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

The matcrete would be a nice compromise.

Autocorrect turned matcrete into machete there!!!! That would make the wife agree

I am reading a contiguous herd test in an hours time here due to a neighbour on an outfarm going down. If I get caught I'll be starting a calf shed immediately to have it up and running in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

started a 2500 sq ft 2 storey house in April of this year, pretty much self build. Enjoyable but draining too

waiting for first fix wiring to be completed, plasterer lined up for mid Jan. happy enough with how far we’ve gotten on with to date, would love to have it useable inside and outside for the young lads 3rd birthday and christening of our 6 week old baby in late may

tall ask but think it’s doable

farm wise Id like to/need to increase land area, current prices for leased land or land for sale are bonkers

no major yard infrastructure work bar a dirty water tank for the parlour and 2 bays on a lean two for storage

looking forward to what cows we’ll be milking next year, got rid of a fair few poorer cows this year and last year, creeping towards 600 kgs ms per cow more and more every year. Think we’ll take a big jump towards that next year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Security cameras at home - FAIL

Secure out Farm - FAIL

Reseed some Paddocks - FAIL

Put up handling facilities at out Farm - FAIL

Cull low performing cows - DONE

Try castrating calves Younger - DONE

Slatted tank for Storage - DONE

Genetic test Bull - DONE

Tidy Yard - FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well I got my boat,(my 2021 resolution on here) and what an experience that turned out to be.

A whole new learning experience, Steering doesn't work in reverse, but it's a twin propeller so when I get it in a tight area, I steer it like a skid steer, one propeller forward and the other reverse. There's no brakes , you have put it in reverse to stop it,

Central heating fuelled from the diesel tank.

It carries 900 litres diesel so if I was 30 years younger It probably could cross the irish Sea. two Perkins turbo 6354 diesel engines , can travel faster than we're allowed go on the shannon.

It had a lot of issues when we bought it despite getting it professionally prepurchase surveyed so learnt a lot about it very quick.

2023 ambition is to learn how to drive it

All clear now so I can plan for the next 4 months until I have to test again.

Got into boating myself recently.

It's a fantastic hobby, I'll stay at it for life hopefully.

Perkins turbo 6354 diesel engines

FYI some of those in the marine version were turboed & had a habit of blowing the turbo return or supply hose and causing fires. Just something to be aware of and check the condition of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

What are the project tractors Fintan if you don't mind saying?

110-90 & 8211 Zetor. The Zetor is 40k & one of the last produced

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Very good guy servicing it in the marina, anything he doesn't know about boats isn't worth knowing.

As I said we've had problems with it and he's been through it front to back.

Thanks for the info anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

2 interesting ones. What work does the Zetor need doing?

• Advertisement

Brakes and PTO pack replaced will leave it mechanically sound.

All panels are present but the cab needs some rust repairs to the top panel.

I have never seen a tractor that starts as easy as the Zetor

Interestingly it's doing 41kmh on the road with 34 inch rear wheels

Advertisement