Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Carson attacking Zelensky again. Making comparisons to a Stalin speech. Really weird. Top comments in agreement with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't think the Ukrainians would just roll over by any means ,

But , I think Russia may have been far more prepared for an insurgency than they were for a war ..

They had Rosgardia troops in their first echelons of troops heading for Ukraine , in places like bucha , and kerson they were going door to door with lists of people of intrest , they knew the families of service men , of any one who openly expressed anti Russian sentiment ,

The Russians are expierienced in running a police state , it seems to be what they excell at ,

I think the plan was to split Ukraine into fiefdoms ala Chechnya, put a local hard man in each , and fund him ,

Wether or not the Russians could have afforded that ... Given how much it costs them to keep the kadirovites on side , who knows ..

They'd probably earmarked the Russian speaking areas as easy territory.. believing they'd be welcomed with open arms , as opposed to any arms available..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

russians would laugh at his wokeness

So what?

if he was posting on a social media site in Russia with a homosexual cartoon character as his avatar he be sent to prison at best to fight for criminal oligarchs at worst

So what?

Tucker Carlson and his ilk were laughing at the "wokeness" of the American military and bemoaning why they couldn't be more like Russia a year ago, saying they could never win in a fight. Which is obviously hilariously wrong and utter nonsense of the highest order.

Not caring about civil rights of people you don't like makes you a lot more like those you so gleefully revel in the deaths of then it does those of the western order trying to defend Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes in the beginning that was the plan, the 3 day plan, that is. They even had the restaurants chosen the ones they would dine in to celebrate their "Victory" plus the residences they would live in after ejecting the owners. I remember reading about the "kill" lists they had too, and the plan to go street by street, house by house eliminating "Anti-Russian's". But even so, even if their 3 day plan had worked, what they managed in Chechnya , Georgia and in Afghanistan would not be guaranteed to happen in Ukraine. And certainly not now or even in the future, after what they have done.

Once the Russians have been driven out of Ukraine entirely, and even assuming that Putin survives, I'd say you will see Georgia and Chechnya fighting for independence from Russia. Once the cash that keeps Kadyrov in power stops, it will remove a lot of his power, and with a much reduced military capability, if Georgia pushes back, it has a good chance to succeed.

He's not the one who brought up internment.

You would be naïve to think a close eye isn't already being kept on those people. No special rules or policies are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Oh yes, the 3 day plan.

Remember all the "civil servants" they sent in canvas lorries?

That was some BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Excellent, that gives a better insight to what's happening on the ground, main media only show a few arrows on a map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Fine, so you are confident that this minority are being closely monitored, bugging & spyware etc.

You clearly suggested that all Russians should be kept under very close surveillance - not those toting Z emblems and spouting propaganda. There are a host of incredibly good reasons why this is not the norm and its a kind of police state approach that should be rejected at all possible opportunity. Just cause you are fond of the targets now doesn't mean you will always be.

Apart form anything else it would be a terrible use of resources anyway.

If were suggesting all e.g. Afghans should be under surveillance I would be strongly disagreeing with you also.

Maybe you mispoke and your point is just that those who provide probable cause for surveillance should be under surveillance. Well I've good news for you - they probably are already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I would just observe that the ECHR upheld the legality of Internment in Ireland. The difference between the earlier iterations and the iteration most people associate exclusively with the word is the difference between targeted internment and sweeping interment. The one is not the civil liberties infringement that the other is.

Hold on now! Just above you wrote "You would be naïve to think a close eye isn't already being kept on those people. No special rules or policies are needed."

Now you say "Well I've good news for you - they probably are already."

Which is it? First you imply some degree of certainty but now you ain't sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭jmreire

That certainly removed one or two of the proverbial nine lives. Their time was not up.

That was a nice thoughtful message, maybe they are worried about their own power supplies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We don't have the ability to surveil anyone coming let alone hundreds or thousands at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

On this I would have no problem, the person I was replying to was on about placing ALL Russians under arrest/intered.

1: Calling me "woke", that's when you know you have lost the argument 🤣

2: More hyperbole.

3: please show one post from.me where I have "defended" Putin or the invasion of Ukraine, me pointing out the stupidity of suggestions made on here does not equate to me supporting the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The more that lot in Moscow belter on like this, the more we know they are living in misery.

Dan.

I wasn't the 1st to mention internment.

I called you out for this idiotic "idea" you posted.

"another idea would be to have these people publicly have to send a letter to any paper of record with their name denouncing Putin and this war when it comes time for visa renewal, if they don’t like to do the descent thing publicly don’t renew visas and put them on first train back to motherland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Some interesting Aviation Movements from today and yesterday.

Yesterday, a relatively recent arrival to the Italian Airforce, a G550 with its conformal Early Warning radar, is seen finishing up its monitoring of both Belarusian and Kaliningrad borders.

Further West, a USAF KC-135 is well on its way back to its probable base at Mildenhall. Its historical flightpath gives us a clue to where its accompanying flight of F-16's was operating ( with their transponders off). The KC-135 is one of a number of assets based around the venerable Boeing 707, with some still flying with "steam gauges" and flight engineers.

This morning, over Lithuania, a gaggle of Beechcraft B200's betray its use as a base for these versatile SIGNIT aircraft. These have been operating along the Russian, Belarus and Kaliningrad borders for months now and are operated by the US Army. ( I can still remember the calls "N1, 12%, fuel in" with this type....)

Finally, our old friend, Global Hawk FORTE 11, is seen returning from an all-night foray over the Black Sea. Unusually, it had its transponder off all night until it returned to friendly airspace this morning, on its way back to Italy.

"Why? Why would a descent person denounce publicly the criminal terrorist fascist regime

thats what Putin is most afraid off millions of Russians seeing him as illegitimate"

Yeah, cos Putin cares about the letter that Boris the bricklayer from West meath writes to the Herald 🙄🤣🤣🤣

1: care to show the letter you sent to the newspapers condemning the actions of the IRA?

2: Yeah, angry letters are more effective than sinking battleships, ffs this gets more ludicrous by the hour 🤣🤣

"but I don’t see why any these people should remain in the civilised world if they disagree with our values."

Again with the ridiculous hyperbole, if they refuse to stand on a soapbox and scream their dislike for Putin they must be removed immediately 🙄

And straight after the ridiculous hyperbole we follow up with a healthy dose of scaremongering for good measure

"Once again it’s only a matter of time before we endup with an atrocity in Europe after being radicalised and incited by crazy Russian propaganda and tv"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Your point? They were watching these areas long before Russia invaded, Kaliningrad especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Headline in tomorrow's Times is self explanatory ; experts saying it could take Russia 30 years to fully recover from the dictator's war on Ukraine. Also, fears that he could be bonkers enough to try and take Kyiv again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement