Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an English reg Bike in Ireland

Options
  • 21-12-2022 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Guys,

I am looking for advice on purchasing an English reg bike stored in Ireland since last summer. I’ve looked and looked but can’t seem to find this scenario exactly.

What am i liable to be caught for here? I will have a hand written receipt from the private sale showing January 2023 which is when I intend to purchase it.

I know I will have a customs charge of 10% and will have to VRT. Do I have to pay VAT? Looks like cars over 7 months old with 8000kms or more are exempt from VAT. Is there something similar for Motorcycles?

I am a bit lost about the correct procedure here as it landed in Ireland about 6 months ago and I won’t have taken ownership of it in that time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

You will have to pay VAT. All imported Uk mainland vehicles are subject to vat since brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm willing to be corrected, but I think you'll need proof of when it was imported... You've got a very limited time to register it here... So there could be some sort of punitive charge.

Proof of import can be something along the lines of a ferry ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Tell them you bought it off a lad in NI, they won't be looking for ferry tickets then.

They'll know by the registration... There is a difference between Britain and the north of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

they want proof of import. They can tell by registration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

ANPR cameras in Dublin port pick up every vehicle leaving the port. The customs check the system. So make sure your ducks are in the correct line before you tie yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Pretty sure your not allowed buy an English reg car/bike in Ireland as an Irish citizen.

Needs to be vrtd before you buy it

Believe it or not, the import is based on where it's registered, not where you pretend to have bought it...

I meant the V5C which is the owners registration document. They go off the address that is registered in. I'm well aware that there are mainland bikes in NI.

If the bike is originally registered in england this isnt a problem once the V5C has an NI address, but the change of address on the V5C needs to be before 2021.

But they will want proof of entry into NI for any mainland UK registered to show it entered before 2021, they added that requirement this year.

• Advertisement

OP, why don't you just tell them it's really an Irish bike? They'll have to believe you...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You will need a Customs agent to complete the paperwork after the TCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

You can contact Citizens Information and they will tell you exactly what you need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

New rules brought in last year require proof of entry into NI on any vehicle.

I went through all this with my own bike last october.

If you legit had the bike in NI before the cut off point then MOT certs, purchase receipts, ferry bookings and basically anything that shows the bike has been in Northern Ireland and has a date and the reg plate on it will do

• Registered Users Posts: 35,058 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Either get the seller to clear the bike before purchase or walk away. No need to be dealing with cleaning up someone else's mess.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cz455syn

Thanks for all the responses. I have the bike now. I had to engage with a customs broker for a small fee and had to pay 6% customs duty and 23% VAT. I sent a supporting letter from the company that stored the bike in Wexford to say that I collected the motorcycle from their unit after I purchased it from the Uk owner. No question of shipping fees being added after that. Just waiting in my VRT appointment now.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

How much did the customs agent charge, just for future reference in case I might find a bargain bike in GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 scoots

would anybody know what way customs and vat is chargeable on a bike brought in from the north, as in custom% vat% is it on the price of the bike or is it on the amount of vrt? the bike im looking at is a private sale, would a hand written receipt be acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,330 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik you only pay VRT if the bike was registered in NI before 1/1/2021 or if newer, it's first registration was in NI (i.e. never registered elsewhere in the UK).

Not 100% whether VAT is chargeable or not.

Regulations are meant to ease further in the near future from what I've read elsewhere on Boards.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement