Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

On this I would have no problem, the person I was replying to was on about placing ALL Russians under arrest/intered.

1: Calling me "woke", that's when you know you have lost the argument 🤣

2: More hyperbole.

3: please show one post from.me where I have "defended" Putin or the invasion of Ukraine, me pointing out the stupidity of suggestions made on here does not equate to me supporting the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The more that lot in Moscow belter on like this, the more we know they are living in misery.

Dan.

• Advertisement

I wasn't the 1st to mention internment.

I called you out for this idiotic "idea" you posted.

"another idea would be to have these people publicly have to send a letter to any paper of record with their name denouncing Putin and this war when it comes time for visa renewal, if they don’t like to do the descent thing publicly don’t renew visas and put them on first train back to motherland"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Some interesting Aviation Movements from today and yesterday.

Yesterday, a relatively recent arrival to the Italian Airforce, a G550 with its conformal Early Warning radar, is seen finishing up its monitoring of both Belarusian and Kaliningrad borders.

Further West, a USAF KC-135 is well on its way back to its probable base at Mildenhall. Its historical flightpath gives us a clue to where its accompanying flight of F-16's was operating ( with their transponders off). The KC-135 is one of a number of assets based around the venerable Boeing 707, with some still flying with "steam gauges" and flight engineers.

This morning, over Lithuania, a gaggle of Beechcraft B200's betray its use as a base for these versatile SIGNIT aircraft. These have been operating along the Russian, Belarus and Kaliningrad borders for months now and are operated by the US Army. ( I can still remember the calls "N1, 12%, fuel in" with this type....)

Finally, our old friend, Global Hawk FORTE 11, is seen returning from an all-night foray over the Black Sea. Unusually, it had its transponder off all night until it returned to friendly airspace this morning, on its way back to Italy.

"Why? Why would a descent person denounce publicly the criminal terrorist fascist regime

thats what Putin is most afraid off millions of Russians seeing him as illegitimate"

Yeah, cos Putin cares about the letter that Boris the bricklayer from West meath writes to the Herald 🙄🤣🤣🤣

1: care to show the letter you sent to the newspapers condemning the actions of the IRA?

2: Yeah, angry letters are more effective than sinking battleships, ffs this gets more ludicrous by the hour 🤣🤣

"but I don’t see why any these people should remain in the civilised world if they disagree with our values."

Again with the ridiculous hyperbole, if they refuse to stand on a soapbox and scream their dislike for Putin they must be removed immediately 🙄

And straight after the ridiculous hyperbole we follow up with a healthy dose of scaremongering for good measure

"Once again it’s only a matter of time before we endup with an atrocity in Europe after being radicalised and incited by crazy Russian propaganda and tv"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Your point? They were watching these areas long before Russia invaded, Kaliningrad especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Headline in tomorrow's Times is self explanatory ; experts saying it could take Russia 30 years to fully recover from the dictator's war on Ukraine. Also, fears that he could be bonkers enough to try and take Kyiv again.

My "point" is only relatively relevant to some.

I would have imagined a flight-simmer kid, such as yourself would appreciate the info, although judging by your comment, I'm sure your interests far outweigh mine. I might recommend putting me on ignore, though, as I do post similar comments quite a lot.

Fair warning!

😉

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Surely seeing the functional air forces of a real military alliance in operation is worthwhile in itself? I mean, neither Ukraine nor Russia have shown any real capability in that area this year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ukraine reported something interesting today in their daily update. For the first time, they indicated that a tiny village called Dibrova was under shelling. That would indicate that they competing for it, or at least in the vicinity. I read a few reports on Telegram yesterday suggesting that Ukraine had advanced in the forest area, but having read further reports today I think there could be something to it. I said a few weeks ago the the road to north to Svatove was potentially cut. While we can't say anything for certain yet, if Dibrova were to fall then Ukraine would have direct control over two entry points to Kreminna.

Even to someone with no military training like me, it's clear that Kreminna is a fairly important hinge of the Russian defence. It looks far too difficult to go around, and looks far too important for Russia to abandon. This is one of the places I can see serious fighting for next year and I can't see it being easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Putin and the like of him want to drag as many as possible down to a serf level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

NovRussian is safe outside Russia . They can be got at and have been got at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

fascinating stuff…….particularly the ‘N1 12% fuel in’……..could you expand on this a bit….?

Great question, and for fear of going off topic, I'll explain briefly.

The Beech 200 is a twin-engine turboprop aircraft. Essentially a jet engine with a propeller stuck to the front. When starting, you flick the electric starter motor to "on", wait until the rotational speed of the engine, or N1, reaches and stabilises at, or preferably above 12% of total rotation. Only then do you introduce fuel into the engine by moving the Condition lever to Low Idle. This ensures plenty of cold air flowing through the engine before ignition.

If you introduce fuel at too low a percentage, the engine could potentially " Hot Start", which means the ITT temperature peaks way too high or goes " off scale high", causing damage.

From a Russia v Western perspective. Most Western aircraft use electrical systems in the startup sequence, which is fine until your power goes down and you're stuck on an airstrip somewhere with no start-cart. Many Russian aircraft use compressed air, provided by a compressor on the plane, negating the need for electrical power.

Many years ago, I took the opportunity to train in a Yak-52 at Weston. An incredibly tough aircraft with a 9 cylinder 350bhp engine. It used compressed air to rotate the engine for starting, had air brakes and the flaps and landing gear all used compressed air for operating. Russian aircraft are built to operate from unprepared and unsupported airstrips in extremes of temperatures.

Hope that answers your question.

The success of Ukraine’s counter offensive explained in one article…

It’s WW1 Russian tactics versus 21st century Ukrainian tactics. So that a much smaller force can defeat a larger army.

“The power of advanced algorithmic warfare systems is now so great that it equates to having tactical nuclear weapons against an adversary with only conventional ones,” Alex Karp, the chief executive of Palantir”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ukraine-is-outflanking-russia-with-ammunition-from-big-tech-lxp6sv3qz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Keep up the good work Greenpilot., its very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

“Kherson. In the morning, on Saturday, on the eve of Christmas, in the central part of the city. These are not military facilities. This is not a war according to the rules defined. It is terror, it is killing for the sake of intimidation and pleasure.” - Zelensky

the word war has been used by Putin

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Here comes the Sound of Music to Ukrainian ears and unmitigated terror to the Ruzzians. Even its appearance is terrifying, not to mention its name, Warthog. Bring them on, sooner the better.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

This makes a lot of sense to me. They would be perfect for lend lease as I understand it because the US Air Force doesn't want to keep them, but doesn't want to get rid of them either. If they lent them to Ukraine and they never came back, they were yesterday's airframe. If they perform magnificently, maybe the US will bring them back to production or a similar type concept. They are currently used by the USAF Reserve and National Guard. It's not like there is a pressing need for close air support in continental United States. So I don't see why they couldn't be given as a matter of urgency.

At approximately $10m each, 100x warthogs would make so much more sense than patriot. As an added bonus, they are only for Close Air Support so there is a low risk of attacks in Russian territory compared with e.g. migs or F16s!

I don't really understand why the US was concerned that they would be easily destroyed by Russian SAMs. If the Russians attacked again from Belarus, they would be too far from Russian territory, Belarus couldn't or wouldn't use their air defences for fear of getting dragged into the conflict, and so the only real threat to the Warthog would be the mobile air defences that they bring with them, which can be targetted with HARM missiles by the Migs taking up the rear. They might be at greater risk if they were used in Donbas, but you'd imagine that this would be a calculated risk or justified by absolute necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The annoying part is the US saying they won't give Ukraine XYZ, only months later they row back and give them XYZ, but it will take a few months training. Like the Patriot system. Why couldn't Ukraine be training on that system months ago?

As for Russia attacking from Belarus, well they would deploy Sam sites within Belarus and Ukraine may be reluctant to attack them on Belarusian soil. These Sam sites operated by Russia would give quite a lot of air protection for a ground force moving towards Kyiv.

The excuse Biden gave for not giving the likes of ATACM's was ridiculous. Because they are a different sort of weapon (it's just a longer range version of what Ukraine already have) it would risk NATO or the EU breaking up. I'd love to know what NATO or EU countries (if any) are against it and would leave the Bloc/pack because the US give Ukraine a weapon to defend their citizen's being murdered, raped, kidnapped etc...

HARM missiles were given to Ukraine early in the war, adapted to be fired from Migs, have routinely being fired at SAM sites within Russia and there's been **** all said about it from either side.

What I was getting at is that he just makes an example of on or two here and there and ‘spread the word’ that the same could happen to you/ your family if you do not cooperate with what I want you to do

At Sivershchyna direction Russian army shelled Hirky of Sumy region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The US should stop defining what Ukraine 'needs' or is practical. I have been fairly heavy on the point the US is doing far too little compared to it's stated objectives of what it wants Ukraine to achieve, which is to survive and defeat a country their entire arsenal is predicated on with less than 2% of it given over (made up number). The US wouldn't in a million years expect it's own armed forces to take on the Horde with only what it has given to Ukraine. Every bit of hesitancy on the part of the US is paid for by Ukraine with destroyed buildings, infrastructure, dead civilians, dead heroes in the military, and copious amounts of misery and grief.

Had they given the Patriots 6 months ago, as they should have, there would be Ukrainians alive today who aren't.

It's Christmas, Give them the A-10s as a present and let them worry about the practicalities.

I wish I had saved or posted pics from about 5 months ago of an Orc BMP Ukrainians had just restored to put to use. It probably was in better nick than when it rolled off the production line. It looked like something you'd put in a car show, everything under the hood shiny and spotless. If Ukraine can build the Antanov 225 and aircraft carriers, maintain Mig-29s and Sukhoi 27's, I am confident thaey can keep a few A10's in the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement