Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

So it wasn't a genuine reinvestigation, it was a massage Macron's ego reheating of the original botched job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

ah yeah, because most people who murder someone go around the local community telling everyone they did it! the bottom line is they have absolutely noting that places Bailey at the scene of the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Possibly no file sent to the DPP until at least 2024..??

I think that statement instantly rules out any DNA evidence.

If that is the case... And it would seem so (if the news article is to be believed), then the review is being based totally on hearsay...

Maybe one or two more Maria Farrell types coming forward with some misconceived ideas??

Realistically, it's not looking good conviction wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

She usually wore her watch on her right wrist, it had a black leather strap, seen in several photos. It was in the house after the murder.

Foster has no source in Schull, he's a spoofer.

<Mod Snip>

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But they have nothing that places anyone at the scene.

The thing about Bailey is is that compared to any other individual he has so so much circumstantial evidence against him.

No one else even comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Yeah, I overlooked your point that they have nothing that places Bailey at the scene.

Principally because of the fact that Bailey was one of the first people at the murder scene and spent quite some time there before the scene was properly secured to ensure their could be no cross contamination of forensic evidence.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Alfie Lyons. Next door. Claimed he wasn't sure if Sophie was there or not despite the rental car and lights being on. Had bandaged hand after "dog bite" despite not having a dog. Inquired which guard was investigating when he got reply -"Good. I know him". Yes he knew him. He was the guard who "botched" the earlier drug bust on Alfie. Mysterious background. Allegedly lived in the US, returned speaking Italian and Russian. Seemed to have a family living at the Basil Bush restaurant who disappear to be replaced by Shirley. Alfie's "death" was not reported on Rip.ie or in any newspaper. Despite being allegedly dead for over two years his estate hasn't been through probate, despite the property transferring to Shirley and being sold. Was getting mail delivered at 6.30 p.m. on a Sunday (unbelievable). Was in a dispute with Sophie about the gate. Subsequently bought a sliver of land at the rear of Sophie's cottage he had to pass over to get to his place.

Probate probably not recorded yet, can take ages.

Shirley would have had to have title to be able to sell.

That's interesting about the sliver of land he bought , do you know when he bought it? and would you be able to identify it on the map I posted up back in the thread; page 15. post 434 ?

I know he sold the shed and the land around it to Sophie's son, Pierre, but kept the paddock below his house.

post 434 page 15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I thouht he had to go through the Garda cordon on the pretext of delivering fuel to the Lyons' ?

• Advertisement

So why was Alfie Lyons not getting the same attention as Bailey .

And I don't mean from the police I mean from the writers, the documentary makers, the podcasters?

It's probably because any evidence against him is far less circumstantial than the evidence against Bailey, and Gardai, quite rightly ruled him out years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

For someone who says he wants to get on with his life Bailey seems to be always putting himself front and centre in this case.

He was commenting on it again only a few days ago, I think he secretly likes the attention he gets from all of this.

That's exactly what got him to where he is at now after 26 years, but he couldn't help it.

It depends who or what he was. If he was a retired or semi-retired FBI undercover agent in the US sent to the back of beyond for a new life the reluctance of law enforcement to go after him is eminently explainable. There is bucket fulls of circumstantial evidence against him.

The circumstantial evidence against Bailey is he was feeling randy in the middle of the night and left a house full of women to trudge around the dark and cold lanes of West Cork. And a few scratches on his hand.

I had the info - not sure I can find it now. Alfie bought that parcel of Du Plantier land long after the murder. I didn't understand it at first because on the land registry it said something like 0.0014 hectares taken from Folio X put into Folio Y. If you look at a map, the back of Sophie's house is North facing. On that North side the access road to Alfie's is adjacent to her house. He bought maybe 20 of metres of that lane. I haven't looked at the folio since new owners acquired it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

So Alfie Lyons was an undercover FBI agent? I think this thread has reached peak stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

I know! I wonder if as an ex FBI agent he might have known the beret wearing assassin purportedly sent from France??? So utterly ridiculous the nonsense and lies people spew forth about the identity of the murderer in this case. I am waiting for someone to suggest the turkey that ‘allegedly’ attacked Ian Bailey committed the murder 🦃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Look, the original investigation was utterly incompetent by village idiot gardai who, at best could issue a parking ticket.

There simply is no chance whatsoever that the DPP could bring charges as even a first year law student would punch holes in every aspect of any case and a trial would not proceed.

They are simply playing to the politico

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will also feature an extensive interview with key witness Marie Farrell.

Um, ok 🙄

• Advertisement

Who is this pub owner Dan Griffin who saw Sophie with a 'mystery man' on the day of her murder..?????

Mystery man not located or interviewed??

Sounds like a non - local to me.... Maybe french?

Where did he come from, and why has he never come forward.....????????????

Is the publican a deluded liar? Was he making it up? if so - why??

The circumstantial evidence against Bailey is he was feeling randy in the middle of the night and left a house full of women to trudge around the dark and cold lanes of West Cork. And a few scratches on his hand.

That would be regarded as motive rather than evidence.

But let's list the circumstantial evidence against Bailey.

• Scratches on his arms that were not there on Sunday.
    • Changing his story about what he did after the pub on the Sunday night.
    • No alibi for the night of the murder.
    • Ambiguity about knowing Sophie.
    • The bonfire a few days after the murder.
    • The early arrival at the murder scene that was noted by Gardai.
    • A history of violence against women.
    • Telling multiple people that he did it.

That list is pretty much well know, I remember it from the West Cork podcast so I'm not making any of it up.

What can you list as regards circumstantial evidence against Alfie Lyons ?

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Which pub owner was this ?

I thought the only pub she visited the day of her murder was in Crookhaven and she was alone.

He seems convinced it’s from the French side, or the answers at least lie there. (Yes I know he’s not much to base this on, but interesting to see this angle pushed in the media for once)

Interesting to see the film if it’s based on the French side.

https://www.southernstar.ie/news/sophie-gardai-say-more-information-is-out-there-4254172

Two reports of Sophie potentially being with a mystery man in the short time she was in Ireland in December '96.

Are the descriptions of this mystery man similar in both intances - at the garage in skibbereen on the afteroon she arrived and the description given by Dan Griffin?

Personally, I don't take too much heed with regards to any French Connection. The three stooges couldn't pull off a more incompetent murder if they tried...

The Bailey angle is highly unlikely too.... Apart from the logistics on the night, he would never have cleaned himself up without leaving one iota of evidence behind him... Remember, he was living with a Family of women & their guest(s). And then to carry on the following morning without betraying one inkling of remorse, panic, paranoia or fear, is just off the richter scale.....

There was also several shady characters knocking around the neighbourhood at the time of the murder too.

However, given the nature of the attack, and the absolute lack of any evidence at the scene... Could this have been a total random murder... A hippie type nomad looking to lay down for the night, maybe expected the holiday cottage to be empty... Was confronted by an ill tempered Sophie... (and the rest is history)??

Random murders are the hardest to detect & solve - The Sophie murder ticks a lot of the random murder boxes.

Personally, I don't take too much heed with regards to any French Connection. The three stooges couldn't pull off a more incompetent murder if they tried...

I'm not too sure how incompetent the murderer was. 26 years later and we still don't know the motive or the murderer.

Yes I can see that now, a small triangle 12/15 sq mtrs across the lane. Looks like a turning or parking spot for Sophie's property. It changed hands in 2008, probably the same time as the shed. The bit where she parked her car by the Eastern gable actually belonged to the Richardsons. The ownership of the shed was easy enough to establish as it was clearly marked as being on Alfie's property and Sophie would have had to accept that. There may have been some agreement between the previous owners about sharing the shed or allowing the previous owners of Alfie's property access to it. By the looks of things at the time of her murder Sophie appeared to closing off that access with the erection of the 2 gates in the year before her murder. The clip below from the French documentary a long while after the murder, shows the ground and the gate to the rear of Sophie's house. The ground rises sharply from Sophie's house up to Alfie's , I reckon over 6mtrs, and once you pass onto Alfie's lane at Sophie's Eastern gable there is no access to his landlocked property including his shed without going through Sophie's property, either through the gate at the rear of house or through the other new gate into the bottom of her lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Incompetent murder imo followed by incompetent detective work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

To the point made above about a first year law student rebutting any case here that the prosecution could establish against Ian Bailey, well in fairness the prosecution counsel in the murder trial is likely to be closer to the Paul Gallagher SC (former Attorney General) end of the scale and someone every bit as skilled and effective as Mr Gallagher was in his cross examination of Bailey during the failed libel case brought by Bailey against newspapers that quite rightly described him as the chief suspect in the murder.

Advertisement