Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festive 500 2022

Options
  • 19-12-2022 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

500Km between Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Who's in?

I've signed up, but with less than 1000Km in the legs all year and a wedding the 28th/29th, it's looking dodgy. I'll chance it anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

600k short of 15,000km for the year so I’ll attempt it anyway. Mrs not overly pleased about a 4hr spin Xmas Eve so that will be done on the turbo early doors (7am).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Weather permitting a few of us will give it a go outside, as long as there's no ice we should be grand but the turbo is there as a fall back I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Couldn't be arsed cleaning the bike that much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Never really seen the attraction of it tbh, even though I've more hope now the children are older - I'd get my 4 hours in before the teenagers are even up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I always give it an ol college try, though I often miss the mark a bit. 400 odd is easy enough to get. Getting the 500 is another story especially given that, for me at least, Christmas eve and Christmas day are out, so you're really looking at 5 consecutive 100k spins in likely-poxy weather.

Anyway, it's always a good challenge and if nothing else I find it encourages you out a little bit more than you otherwise might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

This exactly. Two kids in the house, wife working Christmas week, various people visiting/being visited, it would be like working a job for me to try and make time for this🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I registered alright but after last year's dismal 0km, I'm confident I can beat that but the 500km will be a far reach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Got to 450k last year. Just couldnt motivate myself to do another 50k on NYE. So went home and had a beer instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Indoors shouldn't count . To make it a proper challenge it should all be out doors .

Abandoning the family at Xmas should be right of passage for any aspiring roadman doing the 500 .

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

I feel like it would be a lot more difficult to do on a turbo tbh. Trying to get the motivation to do 100km in a week inside is torture at the best of times, let alone 500!

• Advertisement

Only year I got close was last year, and that was because I got out for spins. Not that the family see me disappearing to my turbo as any different from going out for a spin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm in. Hopefully the weather will co-operate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Roadman bolloxology should disqualify you more than indoors

What a load of nonsense.

Roadman - this terminology died last few years with the growth of Zwift/Trainerroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Got it done last year, a particular highlight was cycling from Dublin to Belfast on little back roads for most of the way and then the Newry Canal and Lagan towpath to get into Belfast.

I think I might try the turbo option this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Nonsense indeed . Zwift is far from real life , the effort involved is much less than trying to replicate on the roads.

All it does is massage the fragile ego's of those fearful of a proper road spin .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

Jaysus, you're a barrel of laughs.

Remind me again. This Festive 500, is it a semi-pro/pro invitational race? Or maybe it's a race with a large entry fee?

Oh, no. That's right. It's a marketing tool that has evolved into a completely free, open to everyone, Christmas time fun activity 😂😂😂

Would you go way with your proper road spins and fragile egos. How does people completing it in whatever fashion make an iota of difference to you🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm not sure I'd go for the throat quite that badly but he does have a point.

Zwift is great for getting the wok done but for an endurance challenge through what's usually some of the shittiest weather it's not really comparable.

In saying that if I do take part it'll like be split between zwift and outdoors. The trainer just makes it easier to jump off and be down stairs than to roll in the door 2 hours after the time you said you'd be back. 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I’m gonna ride the Supersix Evo this year as opposed to the aluminum Trek 1500 SLR. Both rim brake.

I’ve had the Evo over a year but I’ve never nailed down my position on it. So I’ll either do that over the next week and keep it or consider selling it on after Xmas (different saddle and longer stem ready to go on it if required during the week).

Clip-on mudguard only - could be an issue.

Winter bikes or otherwise for ye boys?

And they say road cycling can be elitist...

A (Rapha) badge of honour for abandoning the family and going out in crap weather to all the "roadmen" (which in itself is probably a bit misogynistic)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've never had any interest in doing this. Too much on usually. Friends to see.

I had a go about 4 years ago I think it was and a cold Christmas morning spin to Navan and back which I enjoyed did make me question myself. I cycle for the joy of it and the fitness being a happy coincidence so as such I've never gone well with targets and goals, I'll leave those for work where I'm paid to care for them.

To each their own though, what another gets out of cycling or how they want to go about it is for them. The main thing is you enjoy it and like anything in life not become a slave to it.

Proper road spin - go way will ya.

Indoors provides a safe environment for cycling in all weathers or for folk to scared to play chicken with cars for 4hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Winter weather = Winter bike all the way.

I dunno how all of a sudden endurance spins on a turbo are considered easy? Anything over an hour on an indoor trainer is hard as fcuk, I'd much rather do it outdoors if at all possible.

Anyway, half the planet gets to do their festive 500 in balmy summer temperatures, so whatever works for you. If you do 500km indoors you've earned your badge!!!

I’ve knocked out more than enough 4hr turbo spins & I can tell you now 4hrs on the road for endurance is the easier option.

Anyway I’m set for day 1, likely to leave at 7.30am to try avoid Mrs & Mrs frustrated car driver as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

I spend my fair share of hours on the turbo (well did at least but riddled with colds / and throat infections for what seems like months now) but I never used Zwift.

Can someone who uses Zwift explain this to me .............

'Kilometers' traveled on Zwift always seem hugely inflated to me and don't represent a kilometer traveled outside on an Irish road.

Just looking there at a Strava activity from a mate of mine.

He's 80kg at least. He has a group ride (not a race) up on Zwift from a couple of days ago and it says he averaged 38km/hr at 217 watts average. Power is relatively consistent throughout. There is no group ride you can do on an Irish road what will allow you clock up nearly 40km in an hour at 217 watts and 80kg. It's just impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It can depend on the route you pick, some of them are pan flat or even mostly descents. In those cases it’s more like the equivalent of doing laps of a closed race track than out on the road I guess. Plus if it’s a group ride zwift has drafting, which they say is up to 25% power saving, ie someone doing 225 watts in the draft of someone is the equivalent to 300w

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There's no slowing down for traffic, junctions, needing to take care in the peloton, anything like that. No head winds either. I could probably do the same distance for the same amount of effort on a closed road in a large group. Not sure what my average speed on Zwift is but I'd guess it is 32-34kmh. There's no chance on a solo ride on open roads though - would be more like 25kmh for the same effort.

As said above though, anything above 90 mins on Zwift is tough going and I definitely wouldn't fancy doing 500km in a week on it. It'd be a two hour spin every morning but I wouldn't find it easy or enjoyable.

I've abandoned my festive 500 effort due to a cold but was hoping to get about 120km done today, then finish it off with two 70kms on Zwift and two more outdoor spins

And that there in a nutshell is the problem for me with logging miles on Zwift. Not a hope in hell does anyone anywhere save 25% power by drafting and we're not going to get a downhill route and end up back home (impossible).

All that said, I'm not for a minute suggesting that turbo isn't difficult. I know only too well. I'm saying it's a stretch at best to think that 50 or 100km logged on Zwift is actually 50km or 100km.

• Advertisement

Maybe you could but I for sure couldn't. I've raced around in enough Pelotons to know I'm not ever covering 40km in an hour at 220 odd watts (@72kg). It's just not going to happen. Unless these Pelotons on Zwift are huge and one can sit in for the hour and never go up a hill then maybe it's possible but I have my doubts

Advertisement