Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

I would agree to a point. This is why M. Martin does not want a review as he is `afraid everyone will be looking over their shoulder`.

I am wary of Covid tbh and I believe everyone acted in good faith but some did lose the run of themselves completely (on all sides) and the response became too political at times and became an ar*e covering exercise more times from one side or another.

This is why I believe it is critical we have a review. Fundamental to a good review, for me, has to be a review of the good, the bad and the ugly in all of this and fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) must include criticism too as there has been too much of a one sided narrative in all of this. I am not looking for anybody`s head in this either. I want us to be ready and be in as best as possible of a position as we can possibly be for the next one. There were some good things accomplished out of this and it is important that both good and bad are acknowledged.

There was some desperate nonsense too and not just in Ireland. Like I said I believe it got too political and the very one sided narrative in media really annoyed me and I believe a one sided narrative always leads to conspiracy theory's! At the very least have an open debate among experts and question figures/beliefs and debunk any nonsense from both sides.

Such a review needs to include:

• HSE Response including major reform or disbandment of HSE (not just because of Covid) as we have brilliant front line staff but they are leaving due to poor conditions, management is poor and getting worse every year Covid or no Covid! Its frustrates me to think over 2 years we were subjected to HSE management continuously on media and the airwaves despite their abject failure in managing the health service yet they were managing our lives!
    • Nursing homes and why patients were transferred there and how to protect them in future. I know it happened worldwide but we still need to know the basis for the decisions at the time and plan for the future to mitigate against a repeat. I know that it didn`t happen after but it still needs to be investigated.
    • Means used to determine the relaxation/increasing of restrictions/lockdowns? How were these determined, what data was used, what was the evidence provided for this data? The mixed messaging at times.
    • Travel restrictions, both internal and external, how they were decided. basis for decisions.
    • School closures, building site closures when and if they should have been closed.
    • Data and Figures used by Government/NPHET in arriving at their decisions.
    • The use of testing including why the reticence in using Antigen testing for so long.
    • Media behaviour throughout, rehashed multiple times throughout these threads.
    • Why was there no proper adult mature reflection or debate about Irelands response be it good, bad or indifferent?
    • Why was our response so tunnel visioned at the expense of everything else including health (screening etc), did it have to be and alternative approaches that could be used.
    • Vaccination and vaccine passports. What went well and what didn`t.
    • What the government spent on supports, PPE etc. as part of the Covid response.
    • The laws enacted during Covid and proper scrutiny of same for potential civil rights infringements as highlighted by Catherine Connolly during the pandemic.

Like I said I don`t want heads to roll however mechanisms must be put in place so that at least proper balance can be maintained and we can have a better, successful and more balanced response and none of the nonsense. It is a once in a lifetime event so that is an ideal opportunity to review and learn from it with todays tools.

Anyhow I hope you and yours have have a great Christmas/Holiday.

Post edited by live4tkd on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Thank you for being empathetic. Yes it's a sad time. Another neighbor of mine has died, sepsis he's in his mid 40's , only yesterday Dad told me that my sister got bad news from her doctor about a blood test. Something to do with platelets or something. He told me in confidence. She's 42. Eats well, hardly ever drinks, into her yoga and mindfulness, a busy mum to her kid's and a good wife to her husband. And a good sister and daughter, great aunt and a general good person all around. Of course my head went into a spin. But I decided not to speculate as it's best to stand back and be rational. Better to admit I know nothing,than to jump to conclusions.

I said I don't know what is causing the upsurge in deaths of young people. I never mentioned anything covid related. I'm unqualified to speculate anything too. As it's pointless try to blame

When you get tunnel vision and only focus on 1 issue in society, you can be sure that everything else will suffer the consequences.

A badly damaged economy and surge of deaths in other areas was inevitable.

It's sad that our leaders didn't explain this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SebastianDahl

I think that with all this madness happening with russian aggression towards Ukraine, most of the people in Europe already forgot about COVID. Working in coworking Stockholm each day, I see that more and more people are returning to offices. Probably, being under lockdown for 2 years is too much. Speaking about the lockdown and watching what is happening in China, I always think about how glad I am that I can move freely everywhere I want. Their politic of zero tolerance to COVID would drive me crazy if I were to live like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

No. Nobody really cares. Good to see that Dublin airport is very busy and is comparable to pre pandemic numbers this Christmas . Family and friends all being reunited for Christmas. I’m actually flying out myself on Stephens day.

Of course if i was sick i would keep my distance from people and stay home. I have no problem with that but as long as i feel ok life will be normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

As I said before I have not heard that there has been an uptick in deaths of young people at all so not sure where you are getting this from.

Sure infections are everywhere again causing illness as people have been coccooned for the last couple of winters but not dying and certainly not young people.

Commiserations on your sister but if she is young fit and healthy as you describe I wouldn't be writing her off. Nor would I be jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You can see from the graphs here that ages 0-14 have had quite a significant amount of excess deaths this year in europe, and ages 15-44 have been raised for most of the year. Light blue is 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thanks Ceadaoin , thats very good to be able to separate the age groups and countries.

I was talking about little old Ireland which has little to no excess death rate this year thankfully .

Interesting that some of the countries in Europe peaked at the end of Summer . Excess heat on the continent maybe ? But that would be the combined age groups, and probably affecting more older people

Doesn't explain all but other surges appear to come after waves of Covid infection .

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

The mean age of those that died from or with COVID, whatever they're saying, is the mean age for dying in Ireland in general. This means that it is more likely that the vast majority of those that died from or with COVID simply died of old age.

Half the population only ever would have little to no symptoms at all, without vaccines.

In reality, did people really care that much? I don't think so but herd mentality can be a dangerous thing. Somewhere along the way, hysteria took over and everyone thought they needed a vaccine, people at little risk were terrified to get COVID and the HSE deflected all blame on the public for overcrowded hospitals instead of the lazy and bloated roster they have. What a farce it was.

I'm not arguing the opposite to this, but these "unvaccinated make up a disproportionate number in the death stats and ICU numbers" always had me suspicions; how many of these unvaccinated were unvaccinated because they were either unable or not recommended to take the vaccine? Considering the vast majority of people who got seriously ill from COVID had serious underlying conditions, I think it is logical that the black and white stats of "X% in ICU are unvaccinated" was clearly an overstatement of the risk and without context.

• Advertisement

Supposedly there was an issue with statistics for dying with, or from covid. And the powers that be said....Were not really worried about numbers ,we just want to save lives.

Some people were annoyed with numbers being unreliable, others weren't too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There wasn't any ambiguity around deaths and a lot of extra scrutiny due to the UK f'ing up early in the pandemic about reporting.

The with or from was usually around hospitalisation where it was running at 90%+ until later in the pandemic when it dropped below 50% (and then we opened up fully).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The mean age of those that died from or with COVID, whatever they're saying, is the mean age for dying in Ireland in general. This means that it is more likely that the vast majority of those that died from or with COVID simply died of old age.

I genuinely can't tell the trolls from the lunatics any more, but this is just all kinds of wrong.

Unless you take issue with my use of the word mean instead of median (it should be median), then you are the lunatic trying to argue against the data.

Old age killed almost everyone who died from or with COVID in Ireland, it truly was not a deadly virus by any data metric I have seen. Under 40s (making up almost half the population) were so statistically unlikely to even need to go to hospital let alone be at risk of ending up in ICU or dying that I wouldn't even say they should be aware of COVID. Again, just reading the data.

Leaving aside the absolute misrepresentation of statistics, is there any more terrifing sentiment that better reflects the rancid core of a person than "they're only old people, so f**k them"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,228 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a sure indication of the mindset of a certain cohort of people. Callous, nasty, selfish buggers who are now trying to engage in the worst kind of revisionism of Covid for some bizarre reason.

Deeply, deeply, unpleasant individuals.

That's your interpretation, I have an idea of the angle you came in at.

Another terrifying sentiment is people who wanted scare the hell out of everyone. They're already suggesting don't see granny this Christmas again, even though granny has all her vaccines and boosted.Thankfully my family didn't get caught up in the no vaccine no Christmas dinner etc.

Those vaccines were supposed to protect people, that whole wear a life jacket on dry land in solidarity with the fishermen didn't cut through to everyone. If you're vaccinated it's said you're protected from getting sick end of.

The flu is as potent as covid for vulnerable and elderly people. But we were never told get your flu vaccine to protect yourself and others.

I hope all those people who were guilt shaming the unvaccinated went out and took a flu shot. They did not, I can tell you that for a fact.

Call it revisionism or whatever, but that's the way the cookies crumbles in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

The flu is not nearly as contagious as Covid, there have been vaccines for years and everyone has had natural exposure to it. It's a totally different beast to Covid in 2020 and early 2021

If you want to see lunatics and trolls go over to Twitter. We still have morons wanting lockdowns and restrictions in December 2022 lol.

• Advertisement

Nobody said that at all but the data is available for everyone to look at.

People generally don't die of old age, usually something kills you. For many, it was catching COVID while on their deathbeds.

All those people that died in nursing homes etc weren't going to miraculously recover and walk out to live for another 20 years.

While it's awfully sad we can't be guided by emotion.

“”They're already suggesting don't see granny this Christmas again””

Yep, RTE are just in time for their Christmas cheer.

'Life won't be normal again' - wife of Long Covid patient” a big article about it on their RTE news app this morning. Nice timing for Christmas eve.

But being guided by emotion is exactly what you're doing.

You are ignoring all the science and twisting the stats to say things they do not, because you are bitter and angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Thats not how the system works. Even long before COVID You only get to stay in a hospital while you need the services of the hospital. Once you no longer need the treatments exclusive to the hospital you are discharged from the hospital to free up the bed. Those that delay being moved are often referred as bed blockers.

That's not a COVID thing. That's just how they normally operate. As are the problems with resourcing nursing homes. Those are old problems. Dragged out on COVID threads as if its new thing. When it isn't. It's disingenuous to keep trotting out Sweden when it's own commission said it failed to protect the elderly. I think they'd have preferred not to die in the first place.

I simply looked at the data and educated myself. I can clearly see the ages of those that died and the Comorbidities etc.

All deaths are sad. But people don't generally leave nursing homes and get better.

There's no doubt that COVID accelerated some deaths.

But acting like it is severe illness that strikes people down in their prime is completely contrary to the data.

In hospital maternity setting couples, babies are not all in isolation from each other.

'Life won't be normal again' - wife of Long Covid patient” a big article about it on their RTE news app

And why not?

You've lads on here saying all Covid did was speed up a few old people in shuffling off a few months early.

That poor bastard was young and healthy, and thanks to Covid he'll be on a ventilator the rest of his life.

Tell his wife that Covid only affects old people.

Once again, you're letting emotion take over. It's called an outlier...

Sometimes people unfortunately get sick and don't do well. It's hard to understand and accept but it happens.

Nobody ever said that COVID only affects the elderly. The vast majority. 89% over 65 to be precise, with most of those 75+.

And almost 25% of deaths in nursing homes.

Can't really argue sure it's just old people and people who will die any way. Then go on about people dying alone , oh the humanity in the same breath.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed that you still think stats are your friend.

Yes, he's an outlier. And if you let a novel virus, for which there is no natural immunity, vaccine or treatment, run rampant through the community, then the number of infections goes through the roof and therefore the number of outliers goes up accordingly.

You can shrug off that poor guy as one of the unlucky ones. If we had taken the approach that you wanted, there would have been far, far more outliers. That's what statistics tell us.

Advertisement