Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sometimes pub close. It can be hard to understand and accept but it happens.

That's not what the statistics tell us, I have them open in front of me.

They tell us that 1.6% of deaths were below 45 years old. That's less than 150 people in 3 years.

You have nothing to back up your opinion. It's just your own feelings. Other countries didn't lockdown and they also have similar low percentages in their data.

I've only been in a pub twice all year and left long before closing. Sorry you find it hard. There are experts that can help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But...

A low percentage of a small number is a very low number. A low percentage of a very large number is a large number.

If the total number of deaths goes way up, then the absolute number of young people dying also goes way up.

A little social experiment.

There are a lot of people here who are very angry about our handling of Covid.

How many of you think that things are otherwise OK, that the country is otherwise being run well enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You don't understand the statistics you are quoting. You don't understand the difference between life expectancy at birth and life expectancy at age attained.

And it was never just about protecting those over 80. It was also about protecting the health services capacity to function and treat everyone. - especially those who could be saved from covid with hospital care. People with manageable conditions with decades of life expectancy ahead of them. The largest demographic in ICU during Covid first wave in Ireland were people aged 55-64.

20% of Covid deaths in the US were under 65. A further 20% were under 80.

We were not alone in this approach.

England had to reluctantly do same, as the NHS was on trajectory for being overwhelmed.

Care to explain how Germany, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Canada all reacted as they did? It's not due to nonsense about HSE rostering.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Emotional manipulation. The only tool of the COVID dogmatics as they cannot interpret data and understand risk.

The data of the median age of COVID deaths shows that in fact there is no tragedy here; these are normal death statistics. Adding COVID as a possible cause of death is fine, as any number of other things would've been added as a cause of death before COVID was around, but to be clear; there is no real preventable cause of death here for those within the normal age range for dying in Ireland.

But extrapolating from these statistics that somehow all of society needs protecting is illogical and unscientific. I believe the COVID hysteria was motivated by a combination of ignorance and herd mentality, with some powerful vested interests (in particular among the NPHET group (for some reason only was made up of health officials even though they made decisions for all of society)) having too much power and money (to promote their message in the media). It really pisses me off that ridiculously OTT measures persisted for two years and for me justifiably fosters a distrust of officials.

There is only 1 number, the official data. Otherwise you're just making up numbers based on your own opinions or emotions.

It's also bizarre that anyone whose job it is to produce and interpret statistics concluded that this was a very serious disease requiring immediate and serious action

But only angry lads with a Facebook account and a junior cert could REALLY see what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

No it's not as bad as it was. I do remember when I guy a seasonal fit skier got the first dose in Austria. He was hammered. A lot of us were lucky we got a weaker strain.

• Advertisement

All the experts ultimately done was copied what they saw China doing.

With 25% of our deaths in nursing homes, it is clear that they were a huge area to get right.

But we discharged sick people to nursing homes and refused to use antigen tests as they are snake oil.

Proper actions in nursing homes alone would have been more beneficial than almost all of our other nonsense restrictions on healthy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

a) Actions around nursing homes and hospitals and health settings were updated as more was learned about the virus, the initial few months did a lot wrong that was learned from.

b) It's funny you're quoting small numbers of deaths that occurred during lockdowns and restrictions while completely ignoring the elephant pooping all over you of those numbers being much larger without lockdowns and restrictions.

c) The pearl clutching that goes on because a father wasn't able to attend a birth yet all "old" people were gonna just die anyway is absolutely ridiculous, pick a lane.

I use the actual data available.

You have a feeling the numbers would be bigger based on your own opinions and feelings.

Theres no evidence that the restrictions had any major impact in terms of numbers. Most of them weren't based on science at all.

In fact, countries that didn't lockdown certainly weren't the bloodbath that people thought.

We didn't copy China. They actually did a hard lockdown. Our lockdown was more of lockdown lite.

They always discharge people with issues to nursing homes. You generally don't send people in perfect health and no issues to nursing homes.

Healthy people work in nursing homes, visit them. Not sure how you still can't connect the dots on that one.

Even before COVID maternity hospitals have been restricting access. People would rock in with huge numbers of families and visitors to see the new baby. It was getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I posted this back on the 18th.

He has tested negative for Covid since Tuesday, but due to a dangerous spiking fever and severe confusion and hallucinations, he was taken to Hospital by Ambulance last night.

On arrival, his BP and O2 sats were very low.

Thankfully, they have pushed fluids into him and he is resting with an oxygen mask and a few other treatments to ease his symptoms and is communicating normally and sleeping peacefully most of the time. His wife was told another day at home as he was, may have led to permanent organ damage.

I wanted to post this update for those who might still be dismissing the risks of the illnesses that are out there.

Yes my relative has Crohn's, but he is only 40 years old and is otherwise extremely fit and very active and well living.

Please be concious of those around you who may not handle relatively common viruses as well as you do.

These threads never seem to grasp how healthy people are not disconnected from how it spreads to vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

As if Boards didn't need another feckin' Covid thread. There's already a busy forum so why is this here?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So what do you suggest we do? Permanently lockdown? A raft of hard restrictions? Would that satisfy you? Covid is never going away and the vulnerable will always be exposed to it unless you’re advocating for a permanent lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The scientific modelling by medical professionals showed otherwise. Your feelings can try and disagree with that now :)

Lol, are you really going to base your argument on those models?

Time and time again they were woefully inaccurate. Leo even admitted at one point that we were "substantially better" than NPHETs optimistic models.

Their pessimistic models were pure laughable numbers that Phil Nolan made up.

I prefer to deal with real life data, not models that proved hugely inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You do realise that modelling is an accepted scientific practice and that the analysis of post-event outcomes is also an accepted scientific practice, to inform the next level of modelling and research, right?

Arguing both for and against science in the same sentence is about as stupid as stupid gets.

Did the science fail at points? Sure it did. But it succeeded at others.

Those expecting crystal ball levels of scientific prediction, in response to a new and heretofore unknown coronavirus, would want to have a very sober word with themselves, as to what is realistic and what is not.

Me, I applaud the scientists the World over, that worked themselves to exhaustion trying their best to help, with all their skills and the information available.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The models were based on dodgy data from China but also they changed the behaviour. They were part of the process that averted some of the worst case scenarios they predicted.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Hospitals and similar always had restrictions before COVID. Maybe understand why.

• Advertisement

I answered your question.

If you don't like the answer. Maybe you should ask a better question.

Advertisement