Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly mysterious helicopter crash in Kildare

Options
  • 24-12-2022 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Crash happened in mid December, pilot dead. Hasn’t been announced who the pilot was or who owned the helicopter. Story seems to have disappeared.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No more strange than not naming the victims of a car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I didnt hear anything more. I thought it was a very odd day to be out flying. The weather was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mykrodot

well to be fair names of people killed in car crashes are regularly released to newspapers, I've seen it often. In the likes of helicopter crashes, people killed out hiking on mountains, cave divers, surfers etc, they are usually names in newspapers. So yes in this case it is a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

firstly a helicopter crash is far more newsworthy than a car crash.

Secondly the victims of a car crash would normally be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't disagree that its more newsworthy but not every accident victim is named.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The AAIU investigation is ongoing and AGS have prepared a file for the coroner.

• It’s a strange one alright. Robinson 44. It’s like they don’t want the pilot/individual flying to be named. Was perhaps the flight by an unauthorised individual, if so that will come to light in the report. Have taken a couple of lessons in the R22, you have to be super vigilant in this class of chopper. A pushover will result in a quick tail chop which means curtains, the piston engines are se sensitive to carb ice so you have to keep that in mind all the time, and in case of an engine failure you’ve a split second to push down the collective and use forward cyclic to maintain 60 knots, of course bearing in mind loss of rudder authority around touchdown. As for flying in unfavourable weather, you don’t. Actually the engine will often refuse to start if it’s too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mykrodot

thats true and I don't what the protocol is........ sometimes car crash victims are names, sometimes not, likewise other accidents, but mostly something like a helicopter crash you would hear a bit more. I had dated a man from Kildare a few years, he was a private helicopter pilot , a kind of hobby thing, ferrying people to and from race meetings etc. I was a bit alarmed when I heard about that crash a few weeks ago but there was no follow up at all, no names, no cause...... so I just wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a stupid thread. Sometimes people's names aren't released for family reasons.

Its not mysterious, its just an unfortunate incident that took a life. Flying is always risky, especially small single-engined private aircraft.

As for the rest, mind your own business and keep in mind that somewhere are a family suffering a Christmastime bereavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its odd in the sense that the media are usually all over an aviation crash or incident. I doubt there is anything dodgy about it, just strange it hasn't been reported on much. Rip to the pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭carfinder

Hardly a stupid thread and an aircrash incident is very much of public interest and the accident report will be published including details of the pilot .... your "mind your own business" is quite misplaced as is your smug virtuousness in the same post that you describe the thread as "stupid" 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As per elperellos comment.

no real requirement to name names.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Aircraft registers are public, if you have the registration, you can find the individual or company that owns it and a lot of other details. This aircraft was reported to be US registered and from the wreckage pics it looks like the reg may be N999RL although the last letter is partly obscured.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My likes are no than your likes.

So I win. Mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭carfinder

Wow. Well done - you're up there with Messi - hopefully it wont all go to your head 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A person has died. That person almost certainly had friends and family. Speculation here achieves nothing other than possible distress to those who were close to the individual

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement