Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Katiepie

A major problem ive found with them bringing in core routes first is that alot of orbitals seem to exist to fill gaps left by the new bus routes so its causing alot of areas to be underserved as their replacement bus routes dont start for months if not years after the core route is implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes - the C-Spine stops will move further west along the N4 when the infrastructure works for that corridor actually start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If people are currently using the L51, L52 and the N6 right now. What would be their thoughts on GAI drivers balloting for industrial action after Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Katiepie

So the temporary replacement stops will be available by the footbridge until they finish the new stops by the interchange?

• Advertisement

There will be no changes to where C-Spine buses stop until the infrastructure works on that corridor are completed. The new stops, bays and footbridge on the N4 are only plans right now.

Those infrastructure plans are currently with An Bord Pleanála as a planning application, so we are talking about some time before this actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

Their thoughts would probably be that the drivers might be going on strike. What kind of question is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

anyone who's checked the dublin bus christmas schedule, am i right saying that the 24 hour service for c1.c2 etc will not operate from he 26th till the 30th?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The way I'm reading it, all 24-hour routes will be back to 24-hour operation from 5am Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah thats what usually happens . For the 24-hour routes last bus is 9pm Christmas Eve, and first service back is from 5am Stephens day where 24hr operation resumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

They want a pay increase and given the some of the stories I've heard about GAI I can't say I blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Me neither. They should have parity with their Dublin Bus counterparts at the least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some interesting comments here: Ryan planning to introduce ‘bus gates’ to speed up move to public transport

Finally someone in government realised that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and that the current set up is incredibly long winded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Great news. Its long overdue hopefully it can be delivered quickly in the new year. City centre needs a quick overall to remove through routes for cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Bit of an update on the next generation ticketing

Makes sense that there'll be a trial first. Allows them to iron out any major issues before a wider rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the bus gates story is welcome but surely the really low hanging fruit is enforcement. Get the bloody cars (and the taxis) out of the existing bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Taxis through D'Oliver and College Green is a huge issue. They should introduce a city centre taxi charge of 15euro to cross certain points. At rush hour, it's quicker to get a taxi through College Green for those who can afford it.

Those same taxis are the reason buses can't get through College Green quickly. They need to make taxis prohibitively expensive using College Green. Rich Tourists can afford it and Business People can expense it. The rest can get public transport. Everyone wins.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sadly, enforcement isn't a low hanging fruit. The Garda are essentially saying that they're too busy to make a proper go of it, which means that it needs to be offloaded onto the NTA (or a private company, like the speed cameras). This requires legislative changes, and that's a massive bottleneck, fraught with potential political difficulties.

Weirdly enough, the bus gates ARE the low hanging fruit. The councils have responsibility for the layout of the roads, and don't have as much legal hoops to jump through. No need for non statutory consultations, no need to involve ABP, just a relatively quick consultation, then a report to the council, bob's your uncle, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You would have to have some enforcement to make bus gates work though the existing bus gate on bachelors walk sees a lot cars, driving in the bus lane all the way from Heuston straight through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

ANPR. Why on earth don’t we have it? Stick some average speed software on the cameras while they’re at it.

Separately, Eamon Ryan wants another meeting about the disappearing buses. I had a vanishing 13 on Lord Edward Street this morning, so I jumped on a 77a in an effort to catch the 155 my TFI app assured me was coming to Westmoreland Street. The 155 was also non-existent, but it was ok, a 13 the app knew nothing about then magically appeared. All of these buses were supposedly being tracked in real time on the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

I think the article says the minister sent a letter to Dublin Bus in October, but is now satisfied everything is being done to fix the issues. Which doesn't sound very promising, since things haven't exactly improved since October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I think you’re right. My bad. No, that’s not ideal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If a journalist is writing off a freedom of information response in late December, the request likely went in in mid-November or earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

exactly, if they can't enforce the existing bus-lanes, what makes anyone think they'll enforce new ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

the DB app itself is the only reliable option for RTPI at the moment. Which of course TFI/NTA etc want rid of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm always slightly conflicted about bus lanes in Dublin for the sole reason that motorcyclists like myself have used them routinely ever since they were introduced, without problem or causing danger or obstruction to anyone, but this usage remains illegal - might some politician catch a clue and actually legalise this..?

When UK practise was against this they cited this constantly, but since UK practise changed they have gone curiously silent. Official Ireland has long been, and remains, deeply hostile towards motorcycles of all types despite the massive beneficial effect they can have on urban transport.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In my recent usage the DB app is the worst, but your mileage may differ...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Absolutely different. I'd not take seriously what the TFI app gives or the on street screens certainly without cross referencing with the DB app. It doesn't show cancelled buses, but if the bus is showing on the DB app, my experience is that it is indeed running to that approximate time.

The Dublin Bus app seems to working more or less correctly finally, and is now showing curtailed services once more.

The reliability of the predictive element of the TFI app is still random to say the least, but the street signs do seem to be improving.

However once again, I would suggest to people that they try the map on the TFI app with the live bus positions activated on it.

That for me is the gospel as it shows where the buses actually are from the live GPS and doesn’t rely on predictive time algorithms working.

You can work back along a bus route and see where buses on a route are by clicking on the black bus symbols, and judge for yourself how long it will take and watch it as it comes to your stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I'm beginning to use the TFI Live app more often now as while it also shows the live bus position, it displays it by route. Meanwhile on the old TFI app, you have to search around on the map to guess where the bus is.

For example, if you go to the "Timetable" tab and select a certain route (i.e. 46a) and select "Map", it shows all buses currently tracking in the selected direction. You can switch the direction in the "List" tab.

Furthermore, if you select a bus stop from "Departures", you can select an individual service and see the location of that specific bus.

Now, there still is some stuff in this app that seems to be a downgrade compared to the old TFI app, like the fact that the table showing incoming services seems quite basic.

Also this app is still technically in testing, so keep that in mind.

Advertisement