Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEWARE.Signature windows gone into Liquidation. Any lost money to theses con artists? HELP!!!

• 15-12-2022 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Anybody else taken to the cleaners by Signature windows?

Paid a deposit of 8k for windows,just found out the company gone into liquidation.!!!! Appears I've lost all my money! The liquidator is Alan Fitzpatrick and Co and I can't even track him down, he doesn't appear to have a telephone number. Is anyone else in the same boat. Am devastated to get this news,I've saved for a LONG time for this. Can anyone pls help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Sorry to hear this. I read of a customer contacted for the balance of 15k order and they found out the day after payment. Sickening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Any chance you paid the deposit with a credit card? You might be able to do a charge back.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Where did you get the info they are in liquidation?

No filings yet to indicate on cro

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Where did you get this information from? I can’t find notice of a creditors meeting nor the appointment of a liquidator? Do you have a link.

This might be the guy you are looking for, although it looks like an odd entry for a professional insolvency practitioner.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alan-fitzpatrick-a72283154?originalSubdomain=ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But you posted over 2 years ago that red flags were raised about this company so why did you not avoid them?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hebs14

Yes, me. I've paid in full for our windows. I got a call from one of their installation companies yesterday (sub contracted) saying they could give us a quote to install our windows if we could get them from the factory. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Then he explained that Signature had gone into liquidation. It was a bit of a shock, to say the least.

I called Signature but they're not answering, so I emailed them and got this message:

Signature Window & Doors have ceased trading and the appointed liquidator will contact all creditors to notify them of the up coming creditors meeting.

For any clients who are due to receive product in the near future a representative will be in contact to discuss this with you.

If you have any Service/Warranty issues with regards to your product please contact the following :

I will post here when I hear anything. It's a nightmare.

Do you know if your windows have been made yet? Or have you just paid a deposit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Signature Windows closed abruptly on the evening of Thursday December 8th and I suspect anyone with deposits etc. paid are likely to be seriously out of pocket. I dealt with them recently but luckily my order was delivered in full and partly fitted a few weeks ago but it was several months late. I have some warranty/snag issues that I am trying to resolve directly with the factory(Megrame in Lithuania) that supplied the order. In my case a 50% deposit was paid in May at the time of order and the balance was paid a week or so before they fitted them in October. I’m amazed that this hasn’t made national news channels or newspapers etc. Their Facebook page was still up for several days after they closed but appears to be gone now.

I would advise contacting the factory directly that is making your order to establish if they are made and if you are likely to get them. Focus on trying to get your order delivered. I wouldn’t be too concerned on the fitting element as this is a relatively small cost compared to the cost of manufacturing. If anyone manages to get contact details for the receiver, please post here. The more customers that can put pressure on them to get some resolve the better. Otherwise the banks and suppliers will get whatever crumbs are left. It’s tough on suppliers etc. too but they often have insurance for such events and it’s part of doing business. Customers are really exposed here as usual not to mention all the staff that have presumably lost their jobs.

Details here for the Receiver if it is Alan Fitzpatrick ?? (may be out of date if he has moved in recent years) A Liquidator is unlikely to have been appointed yet.

Post edited by joe1303l on

Great that you got your windows before this happened, Joe. Thanks for the info.

I got through to Donal from Signature, a lovely guy who was always really helpful, but sadly he's out of a job so there's only so much he can do. I understand that our windows and doors have been made so I'm hoping I'll be able to get them from the factory... fingers crossed. I can't bear to think of the alternative right now - the windows were the biggest single spend on our build. Worst case scenario is we wont have the money to finish the build.

I was shocked to learn that the customers have the least rights in this situation. The revenue and banks get priority. That's just wrong.

• Advertisement

Update... Signature never handed over our final payment to Megrame. I paid them in September!!!The windows and doors are in their factory and they want €11K final balance before they will ship them. Then we have to pay for delivery and installation, on top of the €35K we've already paid???? I feel sick.

Administor is definitley Alan Fitzpatrick. He is taking over tomorrow and is supposed to be contacting customers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That does not surprise me! That's the sort of c**p that happens when companies go down! Feel for you.

You should hold your head here and be really strong with Megrame. Consider engaging a solicitor if you’re not making progress with them. Presently they have your windows but considering it’s a bespoke order they’re not worth very much to anyone except you. If the total fitted price to you by Signature was €46k, then I doubt Megrame were ever getting more than €40K from Signature in the first place. Focus on getting your order delivered from Megrame even if you have to pay them some of the balance, maybe €5K incl shipping ?? Fitting won’t be a big cost and presently there’s a few ex-signature fitters out there that would be glad of some cash work I’d say. You may eventually get something back from the receiver but don’t hold your breath.

If you can confirm better contact details for Alan Fitzpatrick such an email address or mobile number you might post them or send by PM if more comfortable with that. I’ll be trying to chase them for fitting the balance of my order and some warranty/snag issues. It’s only small beans compared to you but I’m going to try and pursue it anyway. Thanks

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll let you know the receiver details, no problem.

What's annoying me the most is that Signature had my money for nearly 3 months and didn't send the final balance to Megrame. I can't see how that's any different to stealing, when they must have known that the business was in trouble.

I have a contract that says the windows are my property once the final balance is paid. I think I might get some legal advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Arent megrame out of pocket as well, I can't see how they can justify handing over a product that's not paid for

Yes of course they are. It's a mess for everyone involved.

It might be worth questioning if the company might have been trading recklessly - if so those responsible might not be able to hide behind any limited company status.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

This suggestion is the basis that Megrame have got their % of the €35K paid earlier and that made to measure product isn’t worth much now unless you’ve got opes to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I agree it would be hard to offload them but they'd never give the rest of the windows unless they got a sizeable sum as settlement, they could sell what they have to a middleman retailer for a discount to cover some of the expenses, I can't see the op coming out of this without reaching some financial agreement with megrame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

For what its worth, I had a similar situation when building in 2016, not quite the same but the basics resembled your situation. I kept the fight going as I stood to loose €17k, I eventually did get my windows and rescued the €17k, however it was to date one of the biggest mistakes ive made in my life, 9 months of a stall on site, all trades which were lined up took other work and I have to get alternative contractors causing further delays, between rising construction costs and extra rent I reckon it cost me an extra €40k + at the time. It put a massive sour taste on the build process, hated the house for the stress it caused for a long time afterwards and it also eventually contributed to my marriage breakdown (although that would have prob happened anyway)

If I had my time over I would have suffered the €17k and just moved on with my life, much less stress. My advice to you is to ensure delivery of the windows as quick as possible, ensure they cant just walk with the 11k and pay it and keep the build going, believe me the stress is not worth it and you'll be lucky to reclaim 10% from the receiver

Thanks so much for sharing that. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rsmith77

Hi Everyone, still no word from Alan Fitzpatrick. I've contacted him in LinkedIn in and no response. There is a wall of silence. Also tried the bank to see of they can reverse charge. They are doubtful.

Signature called me a week before they went into liquidation asked me to pay more money!! Sharp practice indeed.

I have the names of the company owners and trying to contact them as well. Let me know if anyone wants their names. I'm sure they will walk away from this protected. It's disgraceful.

Hard to believe they weren't aware of the company's financial situation a week before they went into liquidation.

I think this would make a good story for a newspaper circulating in Wicklow?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Happy to leave this thread running as I think it may be useful to those affected, however, can't allow speculation as to how or why the company went into liquidation or how the company was run (as may be prejudicial).

Anyone been contacted by the liquidator yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mariamartin555

Hi could you please share their names with me. We lost approx €25k for a deposits that was paid many months ago. I’ve already been screwed out of a sizeable sum of money from a dodgy builder and now this on top. I got my phone call today the day before Christmas Eve.

No contact yet but I expect customers with current outstanding orders will be prioritised. I’ll try ringing him again straight after Christmas, didn’t get a chance to ring again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Alpha99

As of today, the status of the company at the CRO is "normal". No liquidator has beep appointed. Liquidations are expensive, I am guessing that the company will simply cease trading, and there will be no formal liquidation, and any creditor who wants to fund a liquidation will need to put around €50,000 on the table. Until a liquidator is appointed, the appropriate parties to contact are the company directors, their details can be found by performing a CRO search for €2.50.

Thanks for the update, if you have the appropriate contact details to hand, can you send on via pm please ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niyad

We're in the same boat here. Its very upsetting. Signature came looking for their balance of money 2 days before going bust. Windows are manufacturered, Was told by Signature Megrame will cut a deal. Megrame not interested in any deal - like you 'hebs14' and others, have to pay an extra 11k + installation to get the windows. Did anyone have any joy with Megrame, if you can let me know or PM me, would appreciate it..

Might anyone know what the warranty situation will be now with the windows, we went with Signature like many of the rest of you, due to their 10year warranty, Wonder is the warranty provided by the manufacturer..., and if so might it still be someway valid with Megrame being in the EU?

<Jimmy MW - post #22> Thanks for your earlier post and advice.. sounds like you had a rough time, very stressful, you can see how it can easily happen in these situations!

As I posted previously, I’ve been lucky and got my Megrame order delivered and partly fitted by Signature before they closed. My understanding is that the 10 year warranty is with Megrame but obviously they currently don’t have an agent in Ireland which probably means they don’t currently have someone to carry out warranty repairs. I have been in correspondence via email with Megrame in relation to 2 faults to be rectified on my order. They haven’t directly refused to resolve the issues but have already come back with the usual rubbish that it may be an installation issue, they were fine when they left the factory etc. I’m probably going to struggle with them but I’ll keep trying.

Megrame are obviously playing tough to say they won’t cut a deal but made to measure windows are pretty worthless to anyone except the original customer. MJ for example often sell windows & doors from cancelled orders for about half price from their factory in Ballydesmond. This is your only bargaining chip. If Megrame are not willing to deal on the rest of your order, I’d suggest you engage a good solicitor to get a delivery of whatever % of your order that Megrame have been paid for. Organise your own installer to fit these and threaten to order the balance of your windows from a new supplier. This route would be a pain but it’s not your fault that Megrame have been caught for money by Signature. I suspect this was brewing for a while as my order from Megrame via Signature took more than 20 weeks to arrive rather than the 12-14 quoted when my order was placed in May. I got lots of excuses for the delay but in hindsight now, it was probably cashflow related.

Megrame are probably owed a lot of money by Signature but they’re a huge international outfit. They need to write off the bad debt, find another Irish agent and move on if they want to continue selling product into Ireland.

Sorry to hear that. I wrote to the Directors on 23/12 asking someone to contact me.

Had to just try and forget about it over Christmas....too stressful.

I haven't been in touch with Megrame again. I was planning on negotiating with them this week. I wonder if there may be some benefit in doing this as a group?

I also contacted a solicitor on 23/12 but haven't heard back. I'm a bit worried about giving Megrame money and the windows not turning up.

I'm definitely going to contact the papers this week too. Signature's customers have been treated very badly. If anyone would like to add their story and would be happy to put their name to it, please PM me.

I got an automated email from Signature saying that 'the appointed liquidator' will be in touch.

I contacted CRO to tell them that Signature hadn't registered their new status with them and they told me that they have 21 days to inform them....not sure if that's 21 working days or calendar days.

• Advertisement

Not sure how the 21 days works but they closed on the evening of December 8th. Either way it would probably be this week at the earliest considering the CRO would be closed over the Christmas break. Ireland has a terrible record of light touch regulation in this area anyway and the process will drag on for months. Roadbridge for example closed last March, went into receivership and a liquidator was only appointed in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Liquidation works on a format. They will not rush things. It is unlikely that there will be anything left for unsecured creditors.

If you paid by card you can do a chargeback.

Seems these are the same crew as Marvin Windows who no longer trade here

I'm not sure why people are trying to contact the liquidators... You're an unsecured creditor, your money is likely gone unfortunately. Liquidators aren't going to give you the time of day.

I am trying to contact the liquidator because I got an email saying the liquidator would contact me and they haven't.

I've had no contact from the company at all... just various stories that I definitely won't get money back, or I might get money back.

Point is, I've had no official communication from anyone representing the company and am very nervous about doing a deal with the manufacturers until I know where I stand with Signature.

Signature have been uncontactable since early December and the only correspondence that customers received was the following as an out of office reply email; “Signature Window & Doors have ceased trading and the appointed liquidator will contact all creditors to notify them of the up coming creditors meeting. For any clients who are due to receive product in the near future a representative will be in contact to discuss this with you.”

Obviously customers that haven’t been contacted by now are understandably keen to find out where they stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

I got through to Donal from Signature, a lovely guy who was always really helpful, but sadly he's out of a job so there's only so much he can do.

Not sure if I belive that. I'd guess that guy is a bit more senior than he's making out.

This stinks of reckless trading so the likelihood is that the likes of Revenue and their banks are owed a lot of money too so it's unlikely there will be much left for unsecured creditors.

If anyone wants the director details send me a PM.

Post edited by sugarman20 on

Anything further progress with Signature or Megrame for anyone ?

Liquidation must surely be well under way by now. I’ve had no replies from Megrame to my last 2 emails but I’m hoping they’re shutdown for Christmas rather than ignoring my requests. Thanks

They contacted me on 4th January, but they are looking for money, so I guess I'm higher up on their list as I think your issues are with their warranty.

No progress with the liquidators... zero contact from anyone :(

Thanks for the update, existing orders will obviously take priority as they should. To be fair to Megrame, they supply a good product in my experience but they’re obviously caught out badly by what’s happened. I also heard recently that there is form here going back to a similar event with Marvin windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IIf MJ sell cancelled windows for 50% of the full value. Then that’s likely the value they are to Megrame too and not worthless to others as people keep claiming.

In which case, they’d be better off selling them than collect an outstanding 30%. Very hard to make a case for them to had them over and increase their losses.

Anyone paid in full should obviously receive their order.

Customers that paid in full, paid that money to Signature. It’s likely Signature didn’t pay the manufacturer in full which is why the order hasn’t/might not be delivered. The price the customer paid usually includes fitting also which complicates the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paid in full in that instance would only include orders where Signature have paid Megrame their full share. ie they shouldn’t be able to offset against other signature orders that are in debt.

Its really shįtty that Signiture withheld payments from Megrame. But it’s a hard to expect Megrame to take the additional hit instead of the customer.

I dont expect Megrame to give me the windows, but I would expect them to go 50/50 with the balance they are owed. Otherwise the only one losing out is me. I still have to pay for delivery and installation too.

Also... of the €35K I paid Signature, 13.5% of that was VAT. I wonder what happened to that???! You can be sure that Revenue will still get their cut.

'You can be sure that Revenue will still get their cut'.

I honestly doubt it!

I doubt Signature handed over the VAT to Revenue, but Revenue stand more chance of getting money back than we do.

Post edited by Hebs14 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement