Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What metric are you using to base the assertion that Britain is doing fine? And can you define what you mean by fine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course. Both sides.

Pointing out facts is not the same as spreading lies, gaslighting and partying while tens of thousands of people here died. And then of course we have the standard Quisling fantasy about Brexit Britain crushing Ireland the EU just so the libs can be owned.

There is no competition. A few cherrypicked examples aside, FDI is heading southwards over the channel and westwards over the Irish Sea while the Tories engage in their daily two minutes of hate about... what is it.... Albanians this time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't forget Tories are also engaging in their daily disaster capitalism and currency speculation and therefore profiting off the misery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't forget. I live in the middle of it.

The thing that almost baffles me is that the "muh sovereignty" brigade were completely fine with international markets defenestrating a sitting PM. How much sovereignty does the UK have? That question has yet to be asked post-Brexit.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Throwing a massive constitutional issue like EU and Single Market membership (after 50 years of membership) out to a badly written and poorly designed advisory referendum was absolutely insane in retrospect. The whole charade was doomed to failure....most of the people involved in pushing it were too stupid and ill informed to understand any of it (I'm including Cameron in this - if he realised the chain of chaos his referendum would set off for the next decade, he would never have gone near the thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It never fails to amuse me in how selective people are in their outrage. I see Brexit is going to cost a 33bn loss to the economy.

The nurses claim alone would cost 10bn. Add on the claims of the rest of the striking workers would dwarf the cost of Brexit. Is there a multi page thread on the impact meeting union pay claims to households would be? No.

Those supporting the striking workers don't give a toss what pay claims would cost if it fits their ideology.

The exact same way as Brexit supporters don't give a toss to the impact of their vote to the economy.

In fact, it is because people are sheltered from these costs by endless borrowing allows the likes of Brexit to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The key difference is that paying nurses etc would generate returns, even as basic as tax or spending, while Brexit is just a complete waste of money.

Of course the real question to ask is why higher wages are so unaffordable given that Brexit was supposed to drive higher wages?

Wasn't it all the EU immigrants driving down wages? But now it turns out the government can't afford to pay any higher wages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're conflating two separate issues here - I suspect deliberately. Brexit's impact on GDP is a cost to the economy — the UK's GDP each year is 5.5% less than it would be if it had not Brexited. Paying nurses is a cost to the government, but not to the economy. Brexit destroys wealth, but no wealth is destroyed when wages are paid.

The reason I suspect you may be doing this deliberately is that you perpetrate a similar gross, hard-to-miss misreading of the BCC survey. The survey found that. . .

"More than half (56%) of the BCC members surveyed who trade with the EU said they had experienced problems complying with new rules for exporting goods, while 45% reported issues trading in services."

You translate this into "in other words 44% of exporters aren't all that bothered about Brexit". But to arrive at that conclusion you have to assume that the 45% who reported issues trading in services are drawn entirely from the 56% who had problems exporting goods. The report doesn't say that, and a moment's thought would suggest that it's wildly unlikely to be true. Although not mentioned in the Guardian report, 44% of exporters also reported difficulties obtaining visas for staff and, there again, there's unlikely to be a 100% overlap with those reporting other problems.

The true figure for unbothered exporters is somewhere between 44% and 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Your first paragraph covers the cost side of the equation, there is obviously a benefit side also. There are obvious benefits of having an adequately staffed health service, same for a functioning transport system. Where's that list of Brexit benefits again?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is of course correct, but my main point is that salonfire is comparing apples and oranges here. The impact of Brexit on GDP is a measure of its effect on the national economy. The impact of pay rises for public sector workers is a measure of the effect on government finances. These are very, very different things.

The obvious benefits of paying nurses, transport workers etc more don't mainly accrue to government finances (though they partly do - higher income tax and national insurance contributions, lower claims for universal credit and other in-work benefits). So, yeah, paying nurses more does, all other things being equal, make government finances worse. But it doesn't necessarily make the national economy worse — for the reasons you point out, it may make it better. And it certainly doesn't make it worse by the amount of extra pay given to nurses and transport workers, since that amount remains in the national economy and continues to circulate.

• Advertisement

More whataboutery and both sides.

I'd like to see a source but you've yet to substantiate a single claim you've made so I won't expect anything here for this alleged £10 billion figure. I do wonder why you're so desperate to shut down any and all criticism of Brexit on a small Irish forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Why would we have a multi page thread about striking workers in the UK NHS? We aren't impacted by it. I am sure we all have our opinions about it but seeing as its not really related to Brexit or an issue with the HSE, I don't expect us to have a lot to say about it. I will just say this, the NHS is collapsing. I listened to a call where a caller kept calling 999 for his mother who couldn't breathe. They couldn't send an ambulance as she was being heard complaining that she was dying in the background. They would only send an ambulance if she was not breathing. The person died in the house. This was before the strikes currently under way, so lets not pretend that everything was going well before workers asked for more money.

The only way these issues are related is the party responsible for this is the same party that brought you Brexit. Seeing as both of these are absolute disasters at the moment, it is a wonder the Tories aren't polling at 10% yet somehow they are on 26% or so. Shows you how entrenched people are in the UK. No matter how bad it is going, they will not look for change because it will mean the other side wins. But that is a discussion for another thread, not Brexit.

Brexit loses go nowhere it's just lost money.

Money for the strikers goes into the pockets of the most important workers in the country and then goes back into the economy as they spend it which they will (unlike when rich people get more money)

Paying nurses a better wage is not "losing money"

And don't forget he "hates Brexit by the way"

When we did try to talk about the unprecedented nurses strikes and practical national shutdown currently happening we just got whataboutery regarding Ireland and the good old attempting to shame Irish people for having the cheek to be interested.

Standard stuff. It's de rigeur for anyone pushing silly nonsense such as anti-vaxx, climate denial, supply-side economics or whatever. There are no ideas, no body of thought or anything of that nature. Just the core concept which is treated as a religion and the outrage that meets any criticism of it.

I'm flying out today and if anything happens strike-wise, I'll be blaming the government. They've abused and gaslighted people here for decades about Europe and other things. The thing is, they forgot to align enough people with the broken neoliberal model and now it's being questioned by the majority of people who have no stake in it. Ditto for Brexit. It's benefitted too few people to be sustainable in the long term. Indeed, it's inflicted serious damage on the UK economy and whenever it's not quite as bad as made, this is somehow a triumph.

I disagree with Mick Lynch on much but I hope to God he's successful. It'll be the first in a long series of blows against this wholly incompetent and venal government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The problem with Brexit for the UK population is that there are NO benefits whatsoever for the average citizen....zilch, nada, nothing. Everything they were sold by Vote Leave and the right wing tabloids was a lie. There was no payoff for their Leave vote whatsoever, their lives failed to improve in any way since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,091 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Another wonderful Brexit benefit has come to light on this Christmas day.

For the last few decades the London Metropolitan Police have procured armoured cars and SUVs, for ministerial protection, from the range of company Jaguar-Land Rover, an Indian owned British concern.

Ministers and officials, up to and including the Prime Minister were carried in vehicles offering up to Grade 7 ballistic protection, like the Jaguar XJ and Range Rover EWB.

Unfortunately, due to Brexit, JLR have lost access to both the materials and the expertise that make Grade 7 ballistic protection conversion of their models possible.

And so, for the next renewal of the Police's armoured fleet, the UK Prime Minister and his Secretaries of State, will be conveyed in German made Audi A8L Security models, from the City of Ingolstadt in Bavaria.

God Save the King.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Nothing wrong with German made armour plating.Britain and Germany work very well together as shown in the attached link and I'm sure King Charles would appreciate it with his German family connections.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/britain-to-purchase-100-extra-boxer-armoured-vehicles/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

What was that again that the Brexitters were predicting about the German car makers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,091 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I only vaguely recall, but one thing I do know, is that in 2016, UK built cars numbered 1,750,000.

This year......786,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Didn't one of the British cabinet members predict that The German Car Makers and the French Wine Makers would have insisted the UK get a great deal from the EU in the negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

So I’m not sure if this has been raised but the Euronext boss has confirmed that Brexit has cause irreparable harm to UK and especially London financial services. We are no clearer in financial services deal that would fix this and it looks unlikely in the short to medium term that this will happen.

But the UK are coming up with a solution. They are going to draft financial services legislation that removes all of the governance, prudential and liquidity requirements brought in the aftermath I’d the 2008 crash. So turning back the clock to the good old days and they think is a win for their customers. Fcuck that.

Lets put things into perspective.The majority of the British public appears to think brexit was a bad idea and an even bigger majority dislikes and mistrusts the tories,so only a matter of time before they're turfed out. Regarding German cars,we can't get enough of them here in the UK.After China and the US we are their largest market which is probably one of the reasons higher spec models are available here as standard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are German cars not imported into the UK market duty free because their C of Origin gives them an EU origin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I understand why removing all controls sounds great to the Brexiteers in government but I'm not sure the major financial companies in London would be very happy with it if I'm honest. The reason being the equalence agreement from EU for them to operate there is dependent on the laws being close enough; remove all those limitations and suddenly the equalence agreement goes as well. Hence I think there will be quiet words about that idea shared to the ministers ears and I think it will become (yet another) NI protocol item "that they will overturn if EU does not given in any moment now". Alternatively it may be a final middle finger salute to Labour and done as a last act of sabotage before handing over to Labour to give their fund buddies a chance to cash in on the GBP crashing ala the Brexit vote and Farage's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I don’t think there can be an agreement with the EU as the UK from the very beginning refused to entertain the possibility of becoming a third country similar to Switzerland. I remember when I was tasked prior to the vote to give worst and neutral based scenarios to London headquarters investment firms and everyone agreed that if the self destruct brexir button was pushed the least they would do is become a third country.

But back to your point I don’t think there for the EU to give allowances. It’s a win if UK firms had to locate to Paris Frankfurt or Dublin. They need EU distribution and that can’t happen from London. The extension after extension has come to an end and the firms have to make a decision. I agree that the firms could put pressure but they would have done it by now if they are going to. Also if they have to HQ in EU then purely from a cost they would have to exit London. I think I raised this on this thread a couple of years ago but no one could honestly believe the appalling vista. The NI protocol is pretty irrelevant as a bargain8ng tool. But I could be wrong.

Reading up on it,it appears the UKCA is closely tied to the CE standard with suppliers(either way) having to provide an address whether it's for the UK or EU market. Sounds ridiculous as it doubles red tape for a system that already worked well.Another reason the tories are woefully out of touch with reality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the Tories are trying to leave a mess so big that it will tie up the next Gov in such a tangle that they will find it impossible to put reason back in charge.

I'd take that if it consigned the tories to oblivion.If a Labour government was sensible and tried to build bridges with the EU via a much closer relationship(hopefully the EU would be receptive dealing with a more reasonable uk government).The public realise now we were lied to and foolish.Probably too late at this stage but those who instigated the brexit NHS bus lie should be prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In that interview with Reese-Mogg, the wine merchant confronts him about that NHS bus, (maybe was someone else in the audience) and he said "The NHS is getting that money."

But, it's Rees-Mogg. Opens the mouth, lies come out.

Advertisement