Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

It can create images that have never existed before it created them. People can decide whether or not that constitutes "art".

It uses its knowledge of the database of art that has been fed into it which it uses for reference, but the exact same can be said of any human artist.

Here it is being asked to create a scene from "My Neighbour Hippo" by Studio Ghibli

It has obviously trained on Studio Ghibli's work as it understands the style. But it hasn't copied anything directly. It hasn't taken a screen grab and pasted a hippo from somewhere else on top of it. That scene does not exist anywhere except this image. That exact tree or that window do not exist anywhere in Studio Ghibli's work. The hippo certainly doesn't.

So the AI has sort of looked up a database of art it remembers being trained on and used it for reference, but it is far more complex than just mushing them together. It's really not very different to a human artist using references (and there is no such thing as an artist that hasn't referenced or been influenced by the work of others)

Of course the main issue is that it just isn't that good. Those rails at the front make no sense. There are weird things going on with the hippo's ears and nostrils. It's a rare ai-generated image that doesn't have these sorts of artefacts. Which is why it won't be replacing artists just yet but it can be a useful tool for things like prototyping or mood boards, and has specific use cases like the one in High on Life where they wanted the posters to have the kind of other worldly content that AI can often output.

I really like the "other worldly" or trippy aspect to it. I'm a fan of art that looks good. I have a Mark Rothko on the wall for example. I will stick my fingers in my ears if anyone trys to analyse it and attempt to tell me the meaning of the picture. They're coloured squares, they look good on my wall, that's all!

On the other hand, there is art that has meaning such as depicting a time, place, event. Often something thst is dear to the owner but often meaningless to anyone else. Can AI do this too? For example if I was to ask it to paint "Glendaloigh summer 1996" or something historic like "January 6th Capitol Hill Riots" what would it do? Would it capture the moment or just give some trippy abstract?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Literature is a mish mash words and music is a mish mash of notes and chords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Microsoft are bringing AI image generation to bing.

At last I might actually find an image that matches my xbox gamertag 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well been a pretty major legal hurdle for AI generated art today. Apparently AI generated art can't be copyrighted because copyrighted work need a human author.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

From what I can find the matter is still in court and no doubt lawyers will find a way. As for the art on topic here, as long as it bundles some human originated art, it will still be able to be copyrighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Started Homefront the revolution . It's actually alright . story good .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I normally get a game to get stuck into over Christmas. I was thinking of getting Watch Dogs Legion. It was massively hyped in the run up to its release but it got very middling reviews when it came out. Is it worth a punt at €17?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought legion reviewed pretty well and is well respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's good and fun. Just a bit repetitive due to the fact that you can "be" anyone but you'll always end up picking one or two characters with specific skills. It is fun and worth €17 easily.

I thought Legions was a brilliant game. Especially "Fcuk the fcuk ya" Irish bloke.

I don't remember him but there was a lot of Irish accents in the game when you are out and about. I think even one of gangs are Irish or at least some of the members are Irish.

Yeah that's right. He was a character you can control. You can stick your fingers up and insult people in the game. This Irish lad said "fcuk the fcuk yis" or something along those lines.

It was a nice touch to see the Irish represented in a London based game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Death Stranding is free on the Epic Game Store for the next 23 or so hours.

Just be warned the deal seems to have broken the Epic Games website 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Was going to buy this for the steam deck today so that's a lucky break. I've already played it twice. But it's a game that has stayed with me, I find myself thinking about it a lot.

If anyone is new to it, just push through to chapter 3, you get a pop up at the end of chapter 2 saying you will leave the area and gives the impression you can't get back, but you can easily travel back. My first play through I wasted hours trying to clear the first area but missions keep spawning and there is nothing you unlock that can't be got elsewhere.

It's also got the hilariously bad princess peach beach scene.

The lead singer of Low Roar (Ryan Karazija) passed away at the end of October. He was only 50.

Their songs are a big part of the Death Strandings sound track. Kojima was on holidays in Iceland and came across their music. He said that trip, the scenery and the music, were a big part of the inspiration for the game. There are some lovely moments when it all works.

Nice, haven't played it. It's also on Geforce Now which now has an app on my TV. The stars have aligned 😀

• Advertisement

I know I'm late to the party but Vampire Survivors on mobile via game pass. I'm completely addicted.

Doesn't get any better for an introvert on Christmas day. Messing with my new phone and new ear buds masks the fact that im actually just playing the xbox 😄

It's a great little loop. The popping as you cut through the monsters like a combine harvester is so satisfying.

Steam is doing the whole stopify unwrapped thing

Ah yea the GS5. You better play those built in games son.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

With it being 2022, you just don't know if that's someone that did that for attention/fake, or it's genuine. Not sure which is worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hip+1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/culture/archer-maclean-commodore-64-developer-has-passed-away-at-60-years-old

Archer Maclean has died aged 60. He did a whole bunch of classic games back in the C64 and Amiga era, including the likes of Dropzone and IK+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know him best for Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker and Archer McClean's Pool on the Amiga

Advertisement