Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not receiving SMS verification all of a sudden

• 24-12-2022 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Was working fine for years. AIB and Gomo. Logging in today I'm not getting the SMS. Need to make a payment before the end of the month. Worried now with it being the Christmas period.

Wondering if anyone else is having the same problem today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

AIB not sending code to me the last few days... just looking for statement info on my account,not urgent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have been having the same issue with AIB since the start of the month, I'm with 48. UB texts coming through fine. AIB swearing it's not on their end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I kept trying over a few hours and eventually received an SMS. Hopefully it was some sort of temporary glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

I have also been having the same issue with Aib and 48 for the last week. Aib said they are investigating and to keep trying. 48 said its not on their end and sent a cut and paste reply both times I contacted them.

Let me know if you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zeldo

I'm with AIB and 48. I got a new phone at Christmas. Similar to others I can't get the mobile banking app authenticated on the new phone as the sms does not arrive. AIB blaming three. Any operator using three's network, 48, Tesco, etc having same issue. Very frustrating. Anyone managed to get an SMS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Same with me - with AIB and 48.ie, and no SMS arrives.

I phoned AIB last week, and they got me to reinstall their app but it made no difference. They said it was a known problem.

So for the time being I have to be the uncool old fella tapping with a physical card instead of my shiny new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Being with 48 already makes uncool ;) At least use Post Mobile - they are under Vodafone network. 48 is for kids. Lyca - to call abroad. Tesco for budget. Three is for those who wants to waste money. Eir for those with strong nerves. Vodafone for a quality network and money in the pockets, and Post Mobile is for practical people.

Just tried it there and I got the SMS. Issue resolved! Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Same for me. Now have to wait on a letter with a further code, but at least I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks for that. But as a practicing scientologist, and a Libra, born in the year of the Goat, clearly the only network that can guarantee me coverage is 48. It's just science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Had the same issue after getting a new phone over the holidays.

I contacted AIB customer support and they told me they where having issues with Three (and the networks they use the 3 network, Tesco Mobile, Virgin, 48) and the problem should be fixed "soon". The problem is on the phone network company end so they are stuck waiting for Three to fix it.

I ordered a card reader so at least I can get into my account via Desktop. No idea where my old one went.

"Being with 48 makes you uncool".

What a loud of bollox.

VF is the biggest pain in the arsenal. VF for a quality network?!? Have you tried dealing with them? I would like to say their website was designed by teenagers, but thats an insult to teenagers.

I completely disagree. VF reception is much better than Three. And a Post Mobile is an absolute no brainer: excellent reception and a very good customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm happy with the aul Gomo, eir without the billing hassles... I've just gone an jinxed myself haven't I 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Same here, getting by with the card reader but it's a pain in the ass. Tried again today and still no joy

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I was having this issue with PTSB before - I changed my text message app (to Textra) and it worked through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Why Tesco for budget when 48 is cheaper? (And on the same network)

And better network is relative to where you live, I get 2 bars on Vodafone, 5 on 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

have had similar problems with AIB/Gomo. regularly don't get SMS. AIB always blame network provider. they can't provide any evidence that their transmission of information has been successfully sent, not to mind delivered.

i refuse to use the app as its not (imo) the right way to apply 2FA. In any case not everybody has a smart phone. SMS is the most logical way to interact if they insist on 2FA.

I understand reasons for 2FA, but its become a joke. Half the merchants cant implement it correctly and the rest of the time the card providers can't provide access codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

SMS 2FA is known to be insecure. The most secure way to do 2FA is hardware keys, the second most secure is TOTP (e.g. Google Authenticator, Authy), and the third is a provider's app. The only advantage SMS has is its ubiquitousness. It's definitely not the "right way"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Years past and bad people mastered the ways to clone SIM and receive your texts, if they wish. Sending codes by SMS should be a big no no these days. I noticed that Android OS put AIB app (as any other app) on sleep when not used for some time. Before entering a card number on the e-store website, I simply open the AIB app (don't need to login) to simply wake it up. Never had an issue when I do this way... Computers, phones and machines are stupid. They only do what you tell them to do. People need to simply adapt to the technologies and know how to deal with them to get want you want.

• Advertisement

Providers apps are appalling. BOI doesn't work half the time for my missus. AIB is spotty.

Appreciate 2FA SMS is not as secure, but are more accessible for users, and less costly than hard tokens.

Computers may be stupid, but only as stupid as the people who code them. Tell me the solution to 2FA codes not arriving via a providers app? Uninstall & reinstall it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Wake the app up before doing the transaction is what he's suggesting. Ulsterbank had a fantastic app.

thanks.i understand what hes suggesting. what i'm saying is that in a number of incidents there is no notification

No notification in the app even when you wake it up? Maybe you could check this particular app settings via within the app and also via Android: perhaps notifications are off?

let me rephrase it. there is no 2FA code sent/received (so no notification of a code).

App sends a request message where you touch for Accept, there is no code with the app when logging in or paying, to be specific. That is a push up message which may be blocked within your settings. Have you checked settings? Even SMS can be blocked by your phone if the sender is added to a blacklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaulMartin1337

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble receiving SMS messages for your AIB and Gomo accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

trying to get the GoMo €14.99 plan... but can't pay for it through either BoI or AIB as both not receieving the 'to approve' notification on the phone!!!

any ideas anyone please?

Edit: worked with the Revolut card/app

Post edited by Debub on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Having similar issues with my credit union account where not getting the verification codes for two step authentication and I'm with My 48. The credit union tell me the issue lies with 3 network.

• Advertisement

They always blame the other side.

I'll bet you talk with 3 and they'll tell you is the credit union fault.

Advertisement