Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I like going out on the farm Christmas day, gets me out of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Me too to be fair, but I'll not be doing much hopefully apart from looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What happens when one of them scutters in to the water bowl and none of them have anything to drink?....who'll be the one to scoop out the shìte with their bare hands??

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Always do the yard Xmas morning

And a quick check after dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ah well you'd have to walk the sheds.. I was never a big fan of farming but used to enjoy getting out to the yard on christmas day for the break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Id sooner be shoveling cow shìte than listening to the in laws giving out about how bad my food is....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Maybe you just needed some antigen tests and a red felt tip pen. 🤔

Anyway happy Christmas folks and I hope you all enjoy tomorrow whatever way you like to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Kids are well past Santa but we still leave wee bits out and wrap presents from us as well. Daft but it’s a bit of fun I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We used to have cattle when I was small, and I used to love going out to them on Christmas morning…

It always seemed like the most peaceful morning you’d ever have with em... I imagine it was down to not having much to do, no rushing or tearing, or maybe more so enjoying the moment I suppose…

Not really sure why I thought it, but it’s something I miss to be honest…

Anyways, Santa is on his way here so better go 😉

Happy Christmas everyone…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

Santa's gone here. He's after leaving some heap of stuff, fair play to him. Our middle lad can't get to sleep with the excitement. He usually starts crying around now with the stress cos he's afraid Santa will pass on if he's not asleep. Wouldn't you love to be 9 again. Where will I ever see such excitement again?

Will give the cows pre calving minerals in the morning as a treat for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

See lots of areas of wexford lost power this afternoon with the thunderstorms and lots still have no power. That'd be miserable if you'd no power and light or heat this evening. Hopefully they'll be back again morning. Power never went here.

Went off myself to the Christmas Eve church service. Lucky I remembered the way to church. The clergyman is leaving the parish for new quarters in the next couple of months. He went back on how he made it his thing when he first arrived in the parish that he would stop at speedvans in the area and offer shortbread. (think jesus and the tax collector) This has gone on years now. One case, the operator asked him would he pray for his father in hospital. He said a prayer there with the operator. The father recovered after. He got to know all the operators by name. So he told them he was leaving the parish lately. All the operators from the depot did a whip around and they put together the cost of a speeding fine and gave to the clergyman with a card. They said if he was caught speeding they'd have to catch him. But the speeding fine was their gift to him if it ever did happen in the future.

It's officially Christmas day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Same as you. I took the day off from farming today to do all the prep work for tomorrow including cooking the ham. I share a turkey with my sister and brother every year. I get the butcher to split it in half as it's more than enough for the two of us. Early'ish in the morning I'll check the few that are outside, fill bags of meal whilst OH does the diet feeder then come back in and put on the turkey. I always prefer to go back out to the yard in the evening, fork up silage, feed meal to the few caves/weanlings/cows with calves and generally do a bit to work off the turkey and ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

My three favourite things are eating my cats and not using commas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

A houseful of sick children here. My 4yo wouldn’t even go to see the Christmas lights house.

santa has been. The fat fella without the beard is tired now. OH got to go to pub. She came home happy. Trying to keep the little lad in bed with the fever.

no communal gift from Santa this year as we got a dog a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Hopefully your little one feels better in the morning.

Years ago I spent most of Christmas eve night in Temple St. hospital with the eldest lad. He was 12 at the time. For some strange reason at about 10pm he decided to open black cat bangers/fireworks (left over from Halloween) pour the contents into a bowl and set it alight in the garden using a cigarette lighter. The skin of his right thumb and forefinger got badly burned. The nurses and doctors in Temple St. were brilliant but I was shocked at how many other children were there between broken arms, legs, etc due to falling off bicycles, scooters etc. Anyway he was eventually released just after 6am and we had to wait for an early morning Pharmacy in Drumcondra to open at 7am - which really pissed me off as I couldn't understand why the hospital couldn't give us the medication that he needed. Thankfully one of my friends was visiting me that night and she stayed to look after youngest. We got home around 7.30, youngest (10yo) was still fast asleep unaware of what had happened. Eldest went to bed and slept for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

That is a beautiful story SMN. Happy Christmas all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'd no plans to go near the yard today but apparently the young lad has got a present for the tractor and is adament we have to go and give it. The innocence of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Really not feeling the Christmas spirit at all this year. OH had a miscarriage 6 weeks ago and ended up in Hospital for the guts of a fortnight. Been a bit of an emotional roller coaster for her since but Christmas definitely isn't helping.

They are grand thanks. This chest virus thing that’s going around. Spiked temp etc.

delighted with santas gifts. Although my head is wrecked with all these sirens.

merry Christmas everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A tough spot to be in but hopefully soon it will a part of the past with better things to look forward to.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Tis a hard one and sorry to hear it. I’ve a brother who’s wife miscarried after their first child, and then when they had a child, he passed away at only a few weeks old.

the second Christmas is easier but very tough on them none the less.

moved the drinkers onto the outside of the girders in the feed passage between each pen, did it maybe 12-15 years ago and have never needed to clean white from a drinker since. Farm smarter not harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Tough times and really mental pressure on the OH. Hope all is well now, New year just here all.you can do is plough on hope next Yr is better for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

Happy Christmas to ye all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Sorry to read that LC.

Not a great Christmas here either - first one without the the old man. Been a tough year. Spent most of day just sitting looking at phone - not much on TV to occupy the mind. It is not much of a fuss when there are no children around.

Feeding the stock on Christmas is without doubt the best one over the entire winter. Just stood and watched them for a while, maybe we're all just rushing too much.

Advertisement