Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Korea, Best Korea?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can't think of a single thing about North Korea that would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

North Korea's not so bad I've heard.

I asked a friend who lives there what's it like and he said he can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

BBC moving on from attacking Qatari culture then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Shocking. There are countries which do not have the same cultural values and traditions as the glorious west.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Samsung-istan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ffs,

Any regime or 'culture' that has a terrible human rights record, democracy deficit, dictatorship, cult of personality type, deserves to be critised.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cause we have such a great record of treating women well in Ireland... Does the whole country qualify for the description 'cesspool' or just the bit the starved babies got thrown into?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The old username there might be a bit of a giveaway.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The birth rate is awful, they have a demographic implosion about to happen

Their last president resigned after it emerged she was being controlled by some kind of cult?

A Legoland in one of their smaller regional cities triggered a government bond crisis which eroded all faith in South Korean (regional) government bonds

If nothing else its an interesting place to watch

That’s simply an audible joke. Most people get it, to be fair.

• Advertisement

I have zero issue with calling John Charles McQuaids inspired Ireland a cesspool - do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

While a mightily impressive economic mid ranking power , I always sort of view South Korea as an American colony, certainly no Japan culturally speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

They don't even sell their Hyundai's and Kia's to the japanese market. They've a fairly checkered past with them too.....

My brother lives there, he is long term with a Korean girl.

I visited and really didnt think much of the place. Very bland and Americanised.

Ironically there is no soul in Seoul.

Probably the only interesting thing I saw in two weeks there was the DMZ and a glance into North Korea on the horizon imaging the people with their view of the rest of the world probably limited by what they themselves could see on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No, and we can't expect them to and like Qatar they'll no longer care if we aren't happy but we can still show case the far superior western outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

One of my sisters toured the far east about eight years ago for three months, she found South Korea the least interesting and generic

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I went back packing all over Asia for 8 months in 2014 and of the 11 or 12 countries I saw each one was fascinating in its own way.

I went to South Korea in 2018 and all I felt about the place was inertia. I flew direct from Korea to Japan before back to Dublin as I hadn't managed to make it to the Land of the Rising Sun in the 2014 trip. I only saw Kyoto and Tokyo as my times was limited but it was an absolutely fascinating view of the old versus new empire to modern economic super power.

South Korea nothing of the sort.

Probably didn't help that the whole country was basically flattened 70 years ago.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

so, for you not having a gender ministry is the same as living under brutal dictatorship?

• Advertisement

• South Korea is a right place I’d imagine. They have a very interesting culture, food and whatnot also very intriguing and/or really nice. I wouldn’t exactly avoid the place over this particular thing.

The weirdest part of your OP is the part where you say it’s hardly a bastion of civilisation & rather it’s a cesspool, but, like why? Okay yeah rather unpopular decision but I’m not sure it warrants the label cesspool over it.

Like— you’ve never even visited the country. You’re pretty much deciding that Korea is a kip, because of a decision you don’t like, but are ignoring any other aspect of the country or it’s aforementioned culture and etc. you know nothing but a thing you read and have decided what the place is like? Very odd.

Hardly like the west is a shining example of equality either. Florida springs to mind & Ron DeSantis’s issues with LGBT people. The “Don’t say gay” law being a major issue, but I don’t consider the entire state of Florida, let alone country of North America to be a cesspool.

Granted this may be a “more the fool me” situation if it turns out your initial comments were hyperbole, but if not, it’s rather worrying to say the least how fixed on the things you consider acceptable or unacceptable to the point where something you find distasteful is enough to literally declare an entire country a cesspool..

Yeah, pretty sure the trains run on time. But, would you be happy for a daughter to live there? It has an ancient culture, but certain aspects need changing.

In the US they have gone backwards with abortion rights, but the DeSantis reference is irrelevant as that’s (for now) his opinion. What we have in South Korea is an ingrained culture. It also has a high suicide rate, which would indicate the populace aren’t entirely ecstatic with said culture.

Is it the ‘best Korea’, for sure, but that’s a rather low bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

'cesspool of a country ' - some ignorant shite

Per manineurope.

It is for many women. But, grand if you’re a maninsouthKorea.

Your last sentence is an admission that this is a troll thread.

It's mad how quick posters are to call non western countries cesspools or shitholes or the like around here lately..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I work with many Koreans, they would bate ya around the garden, both sexes, if you said it to their face.

Seoul makes Dublin look like Dunsink.

Yeah a mate of mine opened an aroma therapy centre in n Korea and he said it’s grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

They got rid of their Buddhism and replaced it with weird christians religions in a relatively short period since the war, which is strange, maybe a way of distancing themselves from japanese occupation or something.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement