Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Korea, Best Korea?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...or maybe the problem is the fact, theyve made an absolute bollcoks of their property markets, if you think ours is bad......!

A cesspool? Jesus, don't ever set foot in Liberia there OP whatever you do, I feel it won't end well for you! 😏

• if they were happy I’d be happy. The rest of your post is merely hypothesising because you haven’t a clue.

• You don’t know that women are unhappy in South Korea. Have you asked any? Don’t any research? Like you’re just talking rubbish and this is almost definitely a troll at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Sigh,

I suppose this is the normal now for online discourse,read an article and declare a country a cesspool.

Korea is a great country,it has its good points and bad but the good much outweigh the bad.

Very nice and generous people.

There's roughly the same amount of Christians as Buddhists but like most first world countries religion is outdated and increasingly irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I lived in Seoul for a year, been back 5-6 times since and have family there. It's a great spot, always plenty to do, good nightlife, food, it has modernised fairly rapidly but still plenty of 'old' korea about the place. It is definitely more 'western' than either Japan or China, due to the presence of the US Army and military bases in the place since the 50s, and is an easier place to get around as a foreigner than Tokyo or Beijing would be. It is pretty conservative, lots of the cultural traditions and manners are rooted in confucian ideals which still persist, but these are slowly changing. Things like respect for elders, seniority by age and positions are deeply embedded there. There's a whole system of honorific language based on age and standing, different words used depending on who you are talking to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My family lived there for a while, so I visited a few times. Not a place I'd want to live, but then again there are a lot of places folks like that I don't.

I do recall one tidbit about women in Korea. Traditionally they run the place. Husband goes to work, hands over all the cash to the wife. Wife is in charge of house finances, gives the husband an allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

South Korea is a hotbed of evangelical Christian denominations and they are a significant political constituency.

Not an irrelevancy at all.

Yes there are some evangelical Christians there,very little impact on everyday life,I lived there for a decade,was fairly immersed in the culture and speak the language.

They make up about half of people who align themselves to a religion in the country so perhaps not a total irrelevance.However as I said like most first world countries religion is for the older/dying generations and more and more irrelevant in everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

More than familiar with the place myself.

Disagree that religiosity is the preserve of the old there. Korea is almost unique in Asia with the role Protestant/evangelical churches play in everyday life (as well as the Catholic community). About one in three are Christian of some denomination or other, and they tend to be believers and not passive adherants. Membership of churches is closely aligned with social mobility and patronage networks (Lee Myung bak comes to mind as an example), and a place where one finds a spouse.

The faith communities have a large imprint on politics. It's no accident the current donkey of a President is both very conservative and enjoys almost uniform support from churches in Korea.

The below image could be almost any residential neighbourhood in any city in Korea. It's not some Christians in the country, it's a full third of the population, and they're very active in the practice of their faith. It's one of the things that's immediately striking about the country and that sets the place apart from other places in the region (and indeed something you should be wide-of when dealing with people). Christianity and neo-Confucianism is one of the primary reasons for the country's conservative bent.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To be fair, most of Korea's old castles and historical buildings were flattened during the Japanese occupation and the Korean War. Even Gyeongbokgung Palace is a rebuild.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement