Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭cjpm

I really enjoyed CVX’s previous vid. The tour around his yard. Some amount of gear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Poor form from Mchale. Would those all be Irish built machines or would some of them be brought in from one of their overseas plants?

Had anyone else noticed that the bales would not be well formed from that model? Seems to be suggesting that it's a design flaw rather than his Monday morning machine.

I'd be going to another brand after that carry on. To much money involved to have those issues and not be treated well.

Although I do find it a bit annoying the suggestion that YouTubers should be expecting or getting more favourable responses from dealers than the rest of us. It's probably true, but my money should be as good as next man's regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see Lizzy from The Sheep Game gave birth to a baby boy this morning - a home delivery and a whopping 9lb 9oz's. Congratulations to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If anyone wants to kill an hour this should do the trick. A cousin of mine is driving for him. A different scale of operating.

https://youtu.be/f9jG8zIK0TQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Neighbour of mine is with him for nearly 10 years now. Was over for a holiday in late may to July and spent it driving the contractors harvester 😅

• Advertisement

As a side note, what’s become of Gary in grassmem? I see donkey mentioned in there Christmas video that they had to let him go

Gary is now with lucky days competitions. He was in their Christmas video and on the Ford 3000 draw.

Not sure what the story was behind it though.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

He should have talked to Ally some lady to drive and great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Yes and her father, worked for gardiner grain. You wouldn’t won’t to get a box from Ally and as sound as they come and great craic.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

used to teach Charley the harvester driver many years ago... super nice fella.... from a very nice family..... his father had a herd of pedigree Ayrshires... i keep in touch with charley a little bit thru fb.. must send him a message...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

@farmerphil135 i watched your video on the beet harvester and thought you have it well sussed on how it works etc. Im not trying to blow smoke up your hole but youre very hard on yourself about your own abilities only being half anyone elses. Youd be a hell of a lot better than me at anything like that.

Based on Donkey’s multiple replies to the youtube comments he is trying his best to tarnish Gary’s name, he sounds very bitter about it making sure everyone knows he was sacked, a real contradiction of the pr garbage in the video about company goals and professionalism etc seeing as he is making this personal rather than just saying Gary left and good luck to him and everyone moves on and no further comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

Could never stand donkey and never got his appeal. Very childish to be bad mouthing another lad like that. As someone above said just say he left and good luck to him and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

What intrigues me about Grassmen is what’s their main business now? It started out as DVD which correct me if I’m wrong but they don’t do anymore? It doesn’t get enough YouTube views to generate a massive income I’d have thought - so is the merchandise the actual main revenue stream now?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭French Toast

Merch would surely make up a big part of their income now.

Do they do an online streaming service? A subscription like Farmflix?

Not easy keep it fresh.

Seems to funded by merchandise, I’d say farmflix got the jump on the subscription software and hoovered up a lot of their viewers. There must be a serious markup with having to pay so many “senior leadership” employees!

Can’t get my head around his words on buying the new John Deere 7r 350. Is he really going to park a €300k plus tractor up in a shed and take to shows and the odd video shoot? That’s a lot of T-shirts to sell.

I don't think they have much of a video platform now. Donkey backed the wrong horse when he parted with John over diversifying the brand to take in other aspects of agriculture.

They are predominantly a fashion brand now. Walked into local shop yesterday and there were 5 young fellas - early teens - and all of them had at least one item of their clothing on them. They need videos now as much as Superdry do. Apparently they have 'content creators' in UK as well as here - not sure what they are producing or where they are being presented as I've seen nothing other than short clips on FB.

There is still an opening in the video market for serious content interviewing, reviewing and discussing agriculture machinery, facilities, stock, etc. Essentially a video version of the rags. Not sure who would want to raise their head above the parapet to front it though! Teagasc, IFJ or similar should ramp up their content easily. The amount of money spent on machinery and no real reviews available of them is mad considering other markets.

The likes of FarmFlix and Grassmen are sh!te at reviewing machinery as they have their favourites (JD springs to mind) and nothing else can compare. Thoroughly annoying to listen to. Both are also obsessed with new OTT tractors and machines. Find them hard to watch and it's probably why their audience is mostly kids dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

To be honest I really enjoy FarmFlix, find the videos are very well shot and put together, and give a good insight into wherever they are - be it livestock or machinery. A long way ahead of grassmen on that front.

I presume grassmen generate some revenue from hiring the machines out for demonstrations but can’t imagine that would justify having them all in the yard anyway.

• Advertisement

They bought a seriously well specced Hogg low loader last year. Money must be rolling in from somewhere.

I liked farm flix up until Moygashel vintage club video. Thought it was a very off video the way the talked about the machines and the yards. All the 'Sir' and 'horse' stuff would drive you mad. In saying that, they are better than most of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

Cannot stand that “sir” ****.

they make good productions but it’s all a bit repetitive. I had a subscription for past two years but won’t bother renew this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

All kids id say looking at big shiney fancy tractors, I must say I far rather looking at videos that are more closely relation to a typical farming operation.

Would love to see more lads try out slurry additives, foliar fertilisers etc and give their honest opinion.

Was great to see the likes of farmer phil very happy with the BE Evergreen foliar fert he used last year. Its cheapish at 100 a 20l drum so might chance it on a field this year.

Might have to get @Say my name to start a channel as I'm also interested in slurry additives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

All kids id say looking at big shiney fancy tractors,

I'd wage a bet the majority of YouTube channel subscribers is predominantly kids looking at big tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Any word on farming at la forge.no videos for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I think your on to something, would love to see some videos/tutorials from @Say my name

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I haven't looked much at the Analytics side of YouTube, but I did notice last week that the two most popular search terms on my channel were "tractor" and "tractors"

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Yes they seem to have gone to ground altogether, no update from the instagram account also in a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Oops meant to quote coolcormac1979 there

Advertisement