Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but we know where we are? (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Got up to this earlier today! Hitting the hay now. Gonna do it all again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The "I know there is more Turkey" look.

Enjoying the night together tonight just meself and the missus after a couple of weeks of flu in this house. Feels great and well needed. It was exhausting in the lead up to Christmas but better to have it for the lead in rather than just starting around now and ruining the whole holidays.

Had to adjust our plans for yesterday and today so as not to spread the flu to relatives so ended up being just us and the two kids on our own today but actually ended up being such a great day and seemed less stressful than being under obligations to visit as we usually would on Christmas day and the kids had a really great day which is obviously right up there with what's most important for us today. Don't get me wrong I was really disappointed we couldn't go to my folks for Christmas dinner but it was unusual to be not tied down to a visit on Christmas day and we really made the most of it and had such a great day in our own little bubble. Like I said, the kids were happy so that makes us happy and feel like the day was a success. ☺️🎊🎉 Did I mention I love Christmas? 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Costumes for toilets? What ever next?.

Is there a wherers Christmas party in here tonight or what's the sceal? 🎉🎊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely shattered here, lying on our hotel bed watching a film on the TV and trying to stay awake.

@Seph - where’s my kiss under your mistletoe? 😁😉😘😘

@thomil - hope you get plenty of rest over the next couple of days. 😴😴 Might I be correct in suggesting that you are very homesick for Germany? 😶

Night all! 🛌

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Looks like everyone got up too early this morning to party tonight

I thought I was going to rock in and the place be like....

🎊🎉😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

It's not so much homesickness per se, but more missing certain elements of "home". And to be honest, they're more related to my family and their life there, rather than the country or even the town where I lived before moving here. God knows that there's no love lost between me and Germany, no matter what passport I might hold. I spent much of the ten years I spent there after coming back from Austra trying to get out again, that's why I jumped at the opportunity when Apple offered me a job. It's more of a longing for the "simpler" times rather than any particular place.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Very similar Christmas to myself. Today is the first day in 5 days I felt some way normal after my dose.

I was in bed at 8pm last night flattened.

We had a simple dinner and I handed over unwrapped presents because I just didn't have the energy.

You're right. It's good to have it over us now so we can enjoy the rest of the holidays. I'm off work until the 4th so can rest and recover.

How times have changed since our 20s! If I missed a Stephen's night or NYE party I'd be devastated.

Grem, I hope you have an uneventful night at work and it passes fast.

Thomil, I hope you have good friends here in Ireland who you can chat to. Take it easy on yourself, you've had tough months lately.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

It's that sort of time of year where ya get to thinking and sometimes memories get a bit rose-tinted, i feel like life was simpler way back when but it was harsh too. I think our 'memory lense' softens the hard edges a lot.

You're right about the rose tinted but also about life being simpler as it certainly was pre internet. It's had such an impact on the world and become such a huge part of society and being the vintage we are we got to experience that massive shift. It's had such an impact in so many ways.

Got to thinking here of people long gone from this thread. Like remember harry, whatever happened to him? Or was he even a real character at all? He was entertaining either way for sure anyways 😆

There's been some selection through the gates alright, definitely miss a lot of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hoping all out there are sleeping sound after a busy day filled with good food and happy times.

Sleeping when I want to these days! After all, it matters to noone else whan I sleep or stay abed.. An great advantage to being alone..

Had a lovely deep sleep , then called family in Canada. Just heated a plate of Christmas food to graze on

The fairy lights in the kitchen are a sheer delight... Visible on this dark island... Shining out as Christmas does.

. Cat at my feet to catch any fallout scraps as I cut turkey..... So of course I made sure there were plenty..OOPS! there goes another chunk! lol

This one is nesting alongside the solid fuel stove.. heat seeking missiles are cats!..Simple creatures..

Sleep well, Wherers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Wide awake since 4.25am. Will try for sleep again. Not hung over but my mouth is as dry as the Sahara even after 2 pints of water.

Ugh dry mouth is horrible, hope a third pint does the job

Drinking it now. First new year resolution done a couple of social media accounts deleted, the amount of shite on them is no good for me or anyone else for that matter. It takes me away from reading books so I’ll get back into that.

Nice one. I'm trying to stick to boards mostly especially now twitter is such a sh1tshow now 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Nespresso time for me, yes I am that sad type of decker who brings a Nespresso machine with him.

Time to leave here, trying to decide if we head north south east or west, 8-12 hours of driving ahead of us, or we shall just pitch our tent on the side of the road somewhere.

‘Life without decisions is blissfully wonderful.

Merry Christmas.

If i had a nespresso i fear i might never sleep again, had something similar in a hotel a while back and it was addictive!

This is much the same way I feel about the UK. Born there and lived there all those decades, I spent 20 years after my mother, the last of my family, died in a road accident , trying to find a place there I COULD live in. The problem was that far too many other folk were seeking to escape too and brought the situations I was trying to leave with them. So I left! Looked at fFrance ( I am fluent) but had spent a happy while on the West Coast here years before..A country bumpkin I am. As long as i live very remote, it works well. I look at rentals in the Uk on rightmove! NO WAY.. As I was on a remote Scottish island before I left and loved that aspect. .. So when I finally stopped the work I was doing... The bigger islands here eg Clare, are far too populated for me. It is after all a lifestyle that most of us seek when we don;t have to work any more. As much as a place. As long as you are painstakingly realistic and donlt have false expectations? In Orkney folk would buy a house and move in in summer... they were gone by Christmas! So far north very short days. , Loved that and the 'Merrie Dancers' (Northern Lights) But there is no way I would go back to the UK. Been in rural Ireland around 20 years now.

"Time and forgetfulness sweeten memory" .T.S. Eliot, "Murder in the Cathedral"

Actually that does not work for me. Maybe because things in the last decades in the UK were far far too hard and horrible to allow that! They really were. I will never forget the journey here. A three flight all day event. And the Ryan Air Flight Attendant at the top of the steps.. " Welcome to Ireland" .. seeing the shores of the UK fading away forever then Dublin approaching... Sweet relief.. Never any hint of regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Lovely cats y'all have!

It's not that I dislike felines, I just don't relate to them - never been around cats much, except the odd kitten playtime at neighbours (like twice in my lifetime). I'm generally allergic, so never able to bond with the species.

But I <3 ruff doggos, so much!

Dogs are too demanding for me. Cats curl up abed with me whereas the dog I had always demanded attention. Also all my cats since I came to Ireland and saw the need, are rescues. Before that I bred and showed Siamese. WISH I could have just one more Siamese!But these rescues are so darned grateful and affectionate!

Look at how his feet just fit that gatepost!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Bedside. Had a busy day yesterday, Did the dinner, entertained the inlaws and dropped them home around 9 last night. Then Mrs Cushtie and myself sat down to watch a couple of episodes of Gold Rush, it's the simple things.☺️

Will have a down day today now. Leftovers for lunch etc.

Going to visit my family tomorrow. Three that are abroad are all home at the same time. A very rare event. It will be hectic, looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure. 😀😀😩😩

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hahahah Ehhh sorry JK that offer only applied to the ladies 😅😎

Bedside with a cupan Tae and some sourdough toast 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Up and confused.

Edit ...

Went out for a short walk

Lovely sunny day

Birds singing

God I am wrecked.

Need tea.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Time for another mug of coffee I think. Just cleaned the kitchen windows again, all the better for watching sleet falling which has now turned back to rain 🌧️.

Advertisement