Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

You don't need twitter to find help for that tbf, a quick google search is all one needs, stop clutching at straws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given social medias noted effect on mental health - it's not called "doomscrolling" because it's so fun and emotionally enriching - having a Suicide prevention avenue is a smart, compassionate approach. A simple bit of due diligence. "Just Google it" is reductive and dismissive at the best of times, doubly around issues of mental health where a company can be part of the solution. Sure we could all google it, that's not really the point though. Though as Penn notes it's being revamped not deleted.

Who's the creative one? The guy who started the company who simply decided he wanted reusable rockets - or the engineers who actually made it happen, had to dream the solutions, solve the riddles of landing a rocket? Musk himself didn't design and test all those Landers. though given the noted explosions and lost landing barges, maybe he did lol 🤭

Does Eisenhower get credit for founding NASA (IIRC) or is it the noted engineers and astronauts who get the historical plaudits? Why does Musk require specific and loud hagiography in this instance then, why is he the centre in all this? I've praised Musk frequently, I don't "hate"" him. But I think he's a very rich man having a weird midlife crisis in public - but presuming strategy in this case isn't earned. Paying over the odds for Twitter curries little sense, subsequent actions at best mercurial. I do however cheer the idea of Twitter collapsing and dying in a heap, so go-dog-go I say. I hope Musk fails.

We've clearly seen a weird fixation here of Twitter as some liberal rats nest that has driven the slavish praise for everything Musk has done so far, logic be damned. Devotion for a billionaire is itself an odd flex, his every move is not genius. It's possible to have multiple opinions on a subject however.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm honestly astounded at the levels of ignorant unfeeling disgusting sumbaggery people are willing to post to defend the space karen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's not what the feature does. The feature is designed to try and recognise when people might be in trouble based on what they're posting or searching and suggests help to them. It's not a resource for people to search for, it's about suggesting resources that people might need but that they're not searching for.

If it saves one life, it's worth it, and it's a feature that Twitter already had.

However, the article has been updated since I posted it with Twitter saying they are revamping the feature rather than deleting it, and it should be back up next week. It's ridiculous that it was removed even for a week, and especially this week given how hard Xmas can be for some people, and they should have worked on the revamp while the feature was still live, but I guess they don't have the staff for that these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Tesla is not going under, they just need to split off from Musk's craziness. Twitter, potentially but most of the staff are already fired, to great applause from his supporters, so the damage is at least limited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

At the rate it's going, Tesla share price could drop below the dollar in the next few days of trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

They have not been reinstated as they are being forced to admit that what they did was wrong, which they obviously are refusing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'm sure Cordell was very sad to see people losing their jobs in twitter, since he cares so much about workers losing jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"He had to, to save the other half. He even installed beds in the office for them. He's a stable genius, he's just trying to make things great again, absolutely nothing to do with his recent personal politics"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I think most people are just laughing at him. Not hating.

Attacking your target market is kind of comical.

Not many right wingers are buying electric cars.

Tech companies rise, and they fall. This looks like it's just going to be a spectacular fall. Hopefully the employees and former employees will be highly employable somewhere else, and I suspect in the vast majority of cases they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Twitter isn't a tech company.

Feck sake. Boards has more mods.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts deleted. One or two of you are benefiting from some seasonal goodwill, but please stop pushing it and remain civil when interacting, or if you feel you cannot then please do not post in the thread at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Did you just make the case that for-profit space exploration is worse for peoples safety? You're a candidate for the red planet after all. Please queue on the... left for blue hair dye and your pressure suit before proceeding to the transport where you will be issued with your first litre of genderfluid. The in-flight entertainment will be Das Kapital (unabridged) as read by Gilbert Gottfried. Welcome aboard comrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭prosaic

People who follow sensational headlines are laughing at him. People in related business areas aren't; they watch carefully.

They're looking for opportunities, we are just laughing at a billionaire making an eejit of himself. People love to see a big ego brought down a peg or two and even Musk's most loyal devotees must recognise that the guy is firmly up his own hole. There's also money to be made when someone else is screwing up. Shorting Tesla stock recently being a prime example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

even Musk's most loyal devotees must recognise that the guy is firmly up his own hole

If there's any consistent pattern across this whole weird segment of history, it's that these people will absolutely not admit any deficiency of character or action with Musk.

There are obviously some out there utterly infatuated with his performative dîckheadery, papered over with obscene wealth; then gaslight the rest of us that we're the obsessive ones, just cos we're laughing from the cheap seats. Or indeed hoping this kills off the net-negative that is Twitter.

Fair point, but I still struggle with the idea that people can't see this. I wonder if they can and they just lie to the rest of us because admitting that [insert x celebrity, not just Musk] is being a gobshite undermines their argument that they're a living god. What kind of upbringing creates a belief that some among us are exempt from having human flaws? Celebrity worship is a character flaw in itself IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

When it comes to Trump/Musk, I still go by the idea that it's more that they're a fan of how they "upset the lefties/libs" rather than the person themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check out the thread he's responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For those who don't know, Medvedev is Putin's Himmler. If he hasn't made his daily threat to nuke Ukraine/Europe/world it's because he isn't awake yet.

Here's a taste of some of his Twitter "discussion" predictions for the new year which Elon found "epic."

4. Poland and Hungary will occupy western regions of the formerly existing Ukraine

5. The Fourth Reich will be created, encompassing the territory of Germany and its satellites, i.e., Poland, the Baltic states, Czechia, Slovakia, the Kiev Republic, and other outcasts

Season greetings to you all, Anglo-Saxon friends, and their happily oinking piglets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Don't forget the prediction of civil war in the US with Musk emerging as president of one side

I've enjoyed the nerdy snark elsewhere that Medvedev thinks he's Hari Seldon. Numbers 3 and 7 are quite hilarious though: three predicting that the UK would rejoin the EU and this action would cause the blocs collapse. We were supposed to collapse upon Britain leaving but hey, this time it'll definitely happen when they come back??

Seven has local interest though because according to Medvedev, Northern Ireland will unite with the Republic. There you have it folks. All that NI Protocol mess? It'll disappear in less than 12 months, the DUP suddenly having a collective road to Damascus Dublin moment. Medvedev's "predictions" are so far into the realm of fantasy he might as well predict an elf getting elected President of Germany.

Thing is, we chortle, again, but there'll be some who cheer these predictions. As the Ukraine war has shown there's such a strength of anti western self-loathing, many have automatically sided with Russia purely because "oh well, NATO caused this war really, typical warmonger America. Whatabout whatabout etc etc". The Mick Wallace types basically. This guff from Medvedev and Musk cheering it on? It will be palmed away by those who do not wish to see.

A united Ireland in 2023 though. Hahahaha.

As Penn points out there's a degree that if it annoys "the libs" then Musk gets a pass; you can be damn sure were he big into Trans Rights, or swam in Democrat Party circles over in the US we'd see the appropriate outrage along the "Big Tech is Liberal!!" from the same people.

But there's also the broader infatuation around the whole Great Man obsession across history. Musk is seen as this giant among men, an inventor, significant individual or innovator therefore gets put on a pedestal - as have your Edisons, Fords or Churchills or what have you. It's reductionist and prone to Cult of Personality as we see. Even within historian circles there's an attempt to address that excessive focus on this idea that civilisations and history turned around these gravity wells; that instead, there were people behind the scenes who made the world turn in actuality. Not to diminish the effect of these famous people but emphasise that there were others, often unfairly forgotten who made great contributions to our collective story.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Maybe because it didn't exist when the above post was posted.

Elon left a nice long gap between his tweets for some reason.

Just goes to show how important emojis have become in common linguistics that without them, sarcasm can be really hard to parse.

My workplace is relatively casual and uses them a lot - which means when people don't use them their message can come across really (accidentally) passive aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

A bit of common sense was all that was required to understand he's not actually supporting that insanity but I suppose bashing him without thinking was more important.

• Advertisement

So we have a man running one of the biggest social media companies in the world who does not understand that replying 'epic thread' to that wilful insanity, could be misconstrued? Yes, it's everyone else's fault for that, not his.

Advertisement