Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

So you believe the us and or nato were responsible for the nord stream sabotage? Any evidence for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭brickster69

No evidence i don't want it either, i would probably end up swimming with the fishes. Joking aside, no chance the US and the Uk did that, what benefit would they get from blowing NATO allies pipeline up ? You can't just go around doing stuff like that, they would end up getting kicked out of NATO probably and sanctioned to death.

Even Stevie Wonder can see that Putin is the only winner from this mystery, obviously it was them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/26/world/europe/nordstream-pipeline-explosion-russia.html?partner=IFTTT

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nordstream provided a pittance in monetary terms to Russia but it's impact on Western economy activity is large.

No one expects much gas through the yamal pipe line anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Maybe Putin ordered it so there was no going back. With the pipeline in place, Putin could be thrown out a window and the new leadership ordered a full withdrawal from Ukraine. Then after negotiations the pipeline could be put in use. Without the pipeline Russia have little benefit in ending the war, they are screwed long term.

Who knows maybe interest has been shown in buying it. There are no sanctions, Russian gas is flowing everyday through 3 other pipelines and loads of LNG is being bought. If the price was right why not ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

I think Russian gas should be bought, as long as it can.

It's not a lot to Russia but expensive gas is a severe and long term problem for Europe.

It effectively deindustrializes large parts of the continent and that is just for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Tbh I think the same. We (Ireland) cannot stop this war but we can keep our people safe during the winter - especially the vulnerable. If that means buying Russian gas than by all means we should be doing it

No Chance whatsoever we will be buying Russian gas anytime soon,unless something drastic happens at the top of the Russian regime, Russia has been trying to get lots of countries hooked on their gas for a long time now for the very reason of them thinking they can do what they want and no-one will oppose them for fear of turning off the gas,

They can keep it

How could Ireland buy gas from Russia even if it wanted to ?

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Relax bra, relax the titties?

Russian LNG was a big source of gas in Western Europe over the last 5 months.

It's a moot point now as it can no longer be bought.

Why do people keep quoting me?

It was "relax brah" who suggested buying Russian gas,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

gdp predictions over the last 3/4 years have been overly confident and this year they were no where near the predictions. I cant see 3% next year Ireland is too open to the likes of the UK which will see at least a 18 month recession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

after months of investigation, numerous officials privately say that Russia may not be to blame after all for the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines.

“There is no evidence at this point that Russia was behind the sabotage,” said one European official, echoing the assessment of 23 diplomatic and intelligence officials in nine countries interviewed in recent weeks.

The Liz Truss it's done text to Blinken story was pretty much ignored.

I see very little reason to think Russia would destroy its own pipeline and the associated leverage but who knows, maybe it was them.

Anyway, it's not the : discuss nordstream pipeline thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Explain that one to a family in the midlands leaving in a house with insulation and barely any heating that don’t have the money or means to be able to afford an alternative.

personally, I wouldn’t like to deal with Russia given how they operate. However, im slightly more privileged as may you be.

Plenty our OUR PEOPLE are not. We need to look after ourselves. We’ve taken a lot of Ukrainians, we cannot do anymore than that. Buy the gas and keep our people safe

This needs to be taken into account more.

An awful lot of the talk of "solidarity" and "empathy" we hear today comes from those with very fat pockets. It's now an indicator of status.

There is a savage economic cost being paid by a lot of people, especially small businesses and the poorer half of society.

This is going off topic slightly but Russia is at war with Europe, economically anyway,and the sooner people realise this the better,they revell in the idea of Europe freezing, I grew up in a house with one fire place downstairs,I survived,in fact I don't even remember any particular cold nights where I didn't think I was gonna make it🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id rather be trying to heat my home in 12 degree Ireland than have no electricity in sub degree temps taking cover from Russian bombs.

This also needs to be taken into account.

Geography is the only reason we're not in the same position as the Ukrainians. If the brits ever decided to turn the clock back on us we'd want/expect support from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It is advisible to ignore anything Russia says and watch what they do.

I see benefits to Putin/Russia in blowing up the pipelines (regardless of whether responsiblility is ever proven or disproven). I also see little benefit & some very big downsides for US or UK govt. if it were ever proven they were responsible. That never seems to get mentioned by people very fond of this idea. The truth will probably out eventually, even if it may take some time.

By the time this sabotage was done, there was no hope left of Europeans crawling to Putin for gas for downgrading their support to Ukraine and reducing sanctions as maybe Russia expected (certainly was what their "useful idiots" or bots on here confidently told us would happen for many months). Russia was finished anyway as the EUs man gas supplier while Putin remains in power, and Russia continues its war to annex or destroy Ukraine.

Russia won't admit to action like this until the evidence that they did it becomes quite overwhelming - at that point they will kind of smirkingly/knowingly allow it was them after all e.g. with more minor officials or propagandists "joking" about it like (afair) Russia do now about the Salisbury poisonings.

There were protests in Germany demanding that the pipeline be reopened so that people could get gas and their bills would be lower. They were also calls from powerful German industrial lobbyists for the pipeline to be reopened in order to ease the cost on businesses that needed gas.

There was no benefit in Russia. Blowing up their own pipeline when they could have simply turn off the taps on their end. I have no doubt that Western nations were involved in the blowing up of the pipeline, primarily Poland, the USA and UK.

But if people want to keep believing that Russia is some form of stupid comic book villain who just does stuff because they are evil. Then by all means continued believing that childish narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's right out of the Kremlin playbook. If they hit the pipe, undetected, it shows they can damage critical energy infrastructure almost anywhere. It sends a powerful message. Remember Putin doesn't just see the conflict with Ukraine, but he sees himself at war with Europe (and by further proxy the West). He wants Europeans to suffer, Ukrainian refugees to put a strain on European economies, European countries to have an energy crisis, to divide us, interfere in elections, etc. It's not just from this war, it's been their operational doctrine for a long time now, all under Putin.

But if people want to keep believing that Russia is some form of stupid comic book villain who just does stuff because they are evil. Then by all means continued believing that childish narrative.

He has people openly murdered with Russian nerve gas to make no mistake who did it. He has countless Russian businessmen and oligarch's fall out of windows and die in droves to heart attacks. He's deliberately targeting the energy infrastructure in Ukraine in winter to freeze them out. He takes revenge on Ukrainian civilians when his military suffers a setback. It's well within his capacity to have a pipeline blown to rattle Europe.

The Germans are getting more self sufficient by the day, there are still issues, but another year should make a big difference to cutting the energy reliance on Russia, which in itself should be positive for the German economy in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Do you really think the volume of gas Ireland purchases will make an impact on the European energy market if we somehow buy gas direct from Russia? We don't have a direct pipeline not do we have any LNG terminals, so how would we be able to buy it cheaper than the rest of Europe?

You'd be buying gas at the same price regardless and rather than using a friendly and reliable supplier, you'd be buying from Russia. Do you not realise how stupid that sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well then, you would be wrong and your powers of consideration and deduction are terrible.

The players in the senior ranks of the Russian administration may or may not be evil, but they are collectively well motivated to protect the very significant nests that they have feathered for themselves. Does that push them to the level of comic book villains? Yes, in fact it does.

Go and do two things.

First, read up on the doctrine of 'moskirovka', an ancient tradition of deliberate deception and surprise tactics in Russia, that goes back to the 14th Century.

Second, read 'Red Notice', by Bill Browder. An excellent memoir of the reality of doing business and dealing with the politics of post-Soviet Russia. Spoiler alert; its about massive, pervasive and absolute corruption and criminality in all dealings.

Then go and have a word with yourself about whatever kool aid you've been drinking.

Considering the conspiracy propaganda you frequently express here, I think you might be projecting a little there

Considering the energy crisis and economic impact, how do you think Europe should interact with Putin by the way?

Well, they shouldn't have started with the sanctions..they should have engaged when he tried to address the security issues last year..they should have carried out their role in relation to Minsk..

But at this stage, tbh I think it's too late..relations will be bad for the foreseeable future..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What are USs (past) hostile actions towards EU countries? They have spied on European governments and people at times, far more than is really acceptable of an ally. They have I think used the knowledge gained to hand their companies' industrial advantage over EU competitors, which is again funny behaviour from an ally.

They will on occasion try and use their economic and military clout + influence (status as lynchpin of NATO) to coerce the European countries to do what they want (e.g. effort to round up coalition of the willing for the Iraq war).

They have never to my knowledge done something like blow up some big critical infrastructure on "soil" of an allied European country like gas pipelines.

That is extremely serious. I mean it is stepping out of (even) the grey zone and moving towards acts of war and this to repeat on territory of allies. On a whole other level from snooping, or badgering their European allies to support latest foreign policy idea.

Now what is the charming track record of Russia, what are the hostile acts of its current leadership towards Europe/EU over last 10-15 years?

I will spare blushes of their many fan-girls here but spying is the least of it afair. The people who lead Russia (Putin and his clique) pretty much are like real life comic book villians.

Appeasement didn't work, the German policy of peace through trade didn't work, he still invaded East Ukraine and annexed Crimea. Then Hitler style chose to launch a multi-pronged mass invasion of a sovereign democratic country triggering an energy crisis and impacting us economically. We've now learnt our (painful) lesson.

One of the few good things to come out of all this will be an eventual situation where we aren't energy reliant on a dictator hellbent on destroying/invading us. Which is a much more stable platform for future recessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

I think this discussion is in the wrong thread

Advertisement