Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lets make alooo(o)f regret it in his first week Munster v Leinster Build up Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've doubts about Leinster's tight head side. Furlong and Alaala'toa being absent significantly weakens us. Healy is one of Leinster's best ever players, but he's a loose head and really shouldn't be starting games like this one at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think we have more ball carriers in our pack too. Killer is a spent force, same as Healy. Too much falls to Coombes still. Loughman would offer more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d agree with that. But is that enough to give scrum dominance? And is scrum dominance enough to win the game?

I’m not sure it is tbh. Killer’s been poor this season; he was even subbed on 40 mins vs Connacht after a very poor scrummaging performance.

The main point of differentiation between the front rows for awhile now has been in the loose. And with Porter and especially Sheehan on the pitch, Leinster still have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Lineout was also the first area that jumped out as one where Munster can really bring it to Leinster, either side of the ball. Can see the kicking game seeking touch more often, to attack the lineout, rather than staying infield and risking the counter attacks. Although with Murray starting I'm also expecting a good deal of aerial pressure <checks notes> wherever Keenan isn't.

Leinster likely have the nudge at the scrum initially, but they really need their starters to outlast Munster's. Same logic applies for the breakdown, I can see that area tilt strongly in Munster's favour, once the starting front rows go off, and if Kendellen can offer some threat there alongside Beirne and POM for any sustained period of time.

Ruddock will decide the game for me. Leinster are not short on carriers, but he will likely be their most vital component for the set piece, breakdown and overall sh*thousery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Should be a great match. I don't believe Healy will make it to the second half. Or he will be subbed at ht.

Baird and McCarthy could be fcuked. Facing Beirne and Kleyn who are bedded as Munsters 1st choice.

• Advertisement

Na. Everyone knows those All Black jerseys are really very very very very VERY dark blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Id thank this post ten tines if I could.

So onto the match...if Munster were playing leinster u14s, how much would the u14s win by?

Right that’s the turkey done, time to stuff Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think Munster will win this.

Close to full strength, full house at home, Leinster missing a few key players...

Apart from front row, Munster have the edge in the forwards, and I don't think Nick McCarthy has ever started a game as big as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I read McCarthy….Big game also for Joe..he stated against Munster last season.

Important game for Baird if he wants to get back in the conversation at Lock.

Who is Kiran McDonald and why is he benching ahead of Edogbo?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mcdonald came in from Wasps as a medi joker afaik, and edogbo is injured according to the last injury update, ankle injury

I think Munster can win this, and I expect it to be tight.

But even with Nick McCarthy, Leinster have plenty in the backs to cause us a lot of trouble. They’ve won in Thomond before with Rowan Osbourne starting at 9.

Munster's to lose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Ye are fooling nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's less so that I think Munster will win...

... more so that I think a full house in Thomond on St. Stephen's Day is a big enough occasion that Leinster will bottle it.

It's kinda gas. If anyone suggested our front-row to start in the 6 Nations for example, the Ireland thread would explode.

So how are ye lads planning on celebrating the win this evening?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Making liberal use of the new @ feature on here.

@[Deleted User]

Great, it works a charm.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bookies odds have tightened considerably. Handicap was Leinster-5 before teams were announced, it's now Leinster -1.

i.e. it's not just Leinster fans talking shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

So, preview of the match,

Munster at home, recovering from a desperate start to the league, coming into form with exciting new strategy in attack and defence. This is a must win for Munster, nothing short of a win will be acceptable given the importance of points to the league table, no excuses for not going all out here.

Leinster have rotated a lot in the forwards but retained two of their front row, swapping Healy to tight-head is going to be interesting, and have selected all of their first choice outside backs, with Ringrose notably growing into his captaincy role of late he could be instrumental in both his play and his command of the team.

Comparing the team-sheets,

Healy and Kilcoyne will be a big match-up, and Munster will hope Coombes, O’Mahony and O’Donoghue can keep Ruddock, Penny and Deegan from moving the ball too quickly.

Munster have the better half-backs but Leinster have the better outside backs.

Osborne on Crowley could go either way. Munster will hope Crowley can find gaps and Frisch can keep Ringrose from scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, can't believe leinster are favourites of any sort for this. Full House, munster full bore inc. Beirne and POM, leinster with only about 5 1st choice starting.

Blow it up ref

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The ref has been absolutely shocking in this game so far. Munster being robbed here.

For me, an interesting aspect is how Munster’s attack, which has looked like it’s readily improving of late, fares against Leinster’s defence, which has completely smothered us in the past.

In that regard, I’m disappointed we’re not starting Casey, and think Haley and Loughman are big losses. Haley for his counter-attacking and Loughman for his handling.

I think Conway as well will be a big bonus when he returns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Joking aside its a good test for Munster. Its hard to gauge last week - personally I think it was far more about NH being utter dogshit - but today will be a good indicator if things have really turned around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Guess we really have to up our game so. Plenty more shite to talk.

I think we’ve seen enough from them over the last 5 games or so, that things are going in the right direction.

Agreed tho, it’s good timing for this fixture to get an idea of whereabouts they are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fair, I think its clear they have turned a corner. Question is more of how far along that upward track they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Porter taken out off the ball right in front of refs ignored

Advertisement