Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is societies obsession with carrying cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JizzBeans

All the "cash is king" & "my money, my business" people on here are the same folks who would reject the a new public services card.....but still sign up to a social media platform.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Its always good to have some cash for emergencies.

If there is another banking crisis you may not be able to access the funds in your bank account.

Remember we were told that if the government hadn't of bailed out the banks back in 2008 the "ATMs would have stopped working".

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

1. "If your only means of payment is on your phone". IF.
    2. Yes somebody did, that somebody was me.

Nobody cares about your tapping kink future-boy. You'll still be waiting behind people using cash 10 years from now.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Abolishing cash is just a tactful way of banks having more control over your money. It is gas that they have everyone by the bollocks and we were the ones paying all their debts 10 years ago?

People in this country really need to get a grip sometimes, clueless.

Mark my words, in less than 10 years banks will have introduced a scheme rewarding accounts with over 10k in them and a penalty system for accounts with less than 5k. It will happen.

They will be throwing .5% interest rate hikes every 6-8 months for the next 5-6 years. Watch for subtle press releases every summer announcing a hike in "early September", the same day as an international crisis, they will be sneaking it in, blaming brexit, or the Russian president or the price of cattle feed brought on by methane's impact on global warming.... etc.

People like Michael Fingleton or Sean Fitzpatrick get awful press over the crash, but they were trying to tap in on a market dominated by AIB and BofI. it gave consumers options at least. Those options are gone now and until cyber banks are facilitated we will be getting fleeced. That's how they want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What’s after cashless ? Banks and shops having a sulk because dealing with cash takes too much of their resources to deal with said cash ? Soooo….

banks and shops then in time have a sulk because dealing with cards the same… they want to ninja cards then ?

they don’t like us then dealing with apps ?

fingerprint authorisation on transactions ? Retina scans to authorise ? Why not ? Technology now is in existence to enable both…

its hard for some people to understand modern conveniences, the often become frustrated and lash out

Cash is VERY convenient for the customer, but less so for the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I amnt a cash is king or my money, just someone who sees the major benefits of cash over digital in certain cases, from a number of angles, and sees the benefits of digital over cash is other situations.

I don't want to see a complete move to digital. It simply isn't feasible and puts all of the power and control in the hands of the state, the banks and big tech to an extent. It also makes it easier to spend money and ultimately devalues money for some of the reasons I have outlined.

Almost all of the arguments used against cash are incredibly minor points versus the arguments against digital, however as I've said there is plenty use cases for both.

I have no issues with a PSC.

I have a number of social media accounts with a few platforms.

The amount of people who are almost one hundred percent reliant on phones for payments worries me from a few angles but each to their own.

I've also seen an over reliance on the 'newer' banking platforms such as revolut and would have concerns around the move towards these platforms. Granted, I am happy to see the competition that forces the traditional banks to improve their offerings but I have seen enough of revolut to use it as a convenience rather than a primary banking platform.

I would say that would depend entirely on the business and indeed the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

I was very glad to have cash a few months ago when I lost my VisaDebit card and had to cancel it. Because it happened just before a bank holiday it took several days for a replacement to arrive.

Certainly the time and cost and risk involved in handling cash vs basically automated card transactions.. cash is always less convenient for a business… more staff, higher insurance bill, greater security and more besides….counting, processing.

my gym went cashless there is now one customer service person on the front desk as opposed to two or three as there used to be… so a general enquiry means you might have a 5 minute plus wait behind other clients….they encourage membership renewal and enquiries via their website / social media…

they lost about 30% of their front desk staff during/as a result of being closed at covid… yet the membership fees have risen..

my guesstimate is they saved about 110 grand a year on staff plus whatever on insurance with having no cash. So….add is the higher fees….tidy extra profit

Have they passed on these massive savings to their clients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

You know when you get a fiver with sellotape around it? That was me showing my friends money doesn’t matter only to stick it back together again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In response to the OP - Nothing to see here. Most people don't use cash and aren't obsessed with it. Took me a while to get with the program but the pandemic really shifted the landscape in my experience. Nowadays I only pay for items costing less than about 4 euro in cash.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

nope, I don’t recall a fee reduction.

next after cashless is 100% plasticless… bad for environment..we’ll be told

there are over 3000 ATMs in Ireland…they have to be installed, serviced, insured, updated, filled… huge savings for banks, millions in savings… again no clients see the benefit…

Smartphone payments and maybe smartwatch payments to be a bigger thing… or, the only thing, in time.

every single person who I know, uses cash regularly….

nobody I know uses plastic exclusively.

Jawol meine Fuhrer I vill use meine kard. Cash is fur dem undesirables. Und it ist society that ist obsessed, und definitely nicht you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Can’t say I use cash all that often, had a cash float of €70 in my card wallet all of the last year entirely untouched, based on my observations of other consumer habits in regards to cash vs card use I’m certainly not in the minority.

Hmmm, so what was all that uproar for when AIB try to close a load of branches?

• Advertisement

Occasionally there are situations where it's not possible to pay by card, so I carry about €40 in cash at all times, but I mostly use plastic. Mixture of both is ok surely. Not sure I'd like there to be zero cash. Handy for presents too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Must be nice not having a Mortgage or rent to pay, never mind electricity bills, heating, insurance and all the other things that come out of the money most of us earn each week.

Yeah that's nothing to do with cash, but I do not know anyone who has 100% of their net pay to spend every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

Always carry a bit of cash but maybe not any more. Taxis taking card is a great change. My GP was old fashioned and only took cash up until a few weeks ago when he got a card machine. Also my local Chinese started taking card lately. So thankfully there's nothing much left for paying cash. I think I'll always hang on to a 50 in cash just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you are supposed to quote a post so people know who you are talking to.😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its just plain laziness in my opinion that people don't use cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

It's hardly laziness using card when you have been paying by cash for nearly 40 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nothing to do with laziness at all, its pure convenience to use card, and potentially safer than carrying cash, increase in card use makes perfect sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You could put a prepaid card in their communion card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It is the consumer, we're demanding more cashless services. It's just quicker and simpler than paying with cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some of the wealthiest people in society are also those who are the most pro cash.

Farmers

Germans

Travellers

Tradesmen

The Elderly

And yeah, tax evasion is a big part of the appeal for some of the above.

On the other hand, there are the "with it" trendy types with their 1000 euro phones that they use for everything, including payments and would be lost without. They sneer at or pity with those who use cash i.e. don't conform. These trendy types are a financial services marketeer's wet dream, exactly the sort of people who would fall for a snappy slogan like "just tap - and go!" while not considering the implications or who is benefitting.

"BaNkS ArE EviL"

Okay we get it. It's generally just simpler to pay digitally, hence there's more demand for it, hence it's being offered more. It's not some big nefarious plan.

you wouldnt be suffering with that 'generalisation', now would yea!

• I personally use my card and bank transfer/revolut more than I will cash. When I bought my car recently in fact, I paid with reovlut.me. It allowed me to pay using my debit card, so if something was amiss with the car after I bought it I had a chance at getting my money back through a chargeback. Pretty handy.

Cash of course is useful but I don’t carry much often because I tend to lose it. 😅 I always try to have coins for trolleys and parking ticket machines that don’t take card.

As opposed to getting rid of cash altogether, I’d actually like to see it being worked in tandem with cards more. The likes of self service fuel pumps, on Friday after work (late) I was low on fuel. Yellow light, like. Had a 25km journey home, so needed to top up. I went to two 24/hr petrol stations with self service, both completely down. All terminals not able to accept card.

Now, if they had been able to take cash, there was an ATM handy. Like the self service tils in dunnes. Naturally would be potentially a security risk, including adding extra cash handling as they’d need someone to come collect it. The other issue with those self service pumps that needs to be sorted asap imo is they don’t seem to work with Apple/Google/Fitbit etc pay. It was actually just lucky I had my debit card with me cos most of the time I’m using Apple Pay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

These trendy types are a financial services marketeer's wet dream, exactly the sort of people who would fall for a snappy slogan like "just tap - and go!" while not considering the implications or who is benefitting.

The only implication they are concerned with is whether they get to sneer at others or not. Its a micropenis thing, its the only way these lads ever get to feel big.

They are all into Crypto as well, which shows how low of intelligence they really are.

• Advertisement

to be fair, there are great levers of powers, in particular the financial sector, thats playing a part in this digitisation, again, this was proven during the whole 08 crash, and the years thereafter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

'It simply isn't feasible and puts all of the power and control in the hands of the state, the banks and big tech to an extent.'

I agree and I think this is the only thing that can explain how resentful many posters are of cash and users of cash.

They don't just say "Yeah personally I prefer digital card payments but whatever".

Instead they present all kinds of scenarios, disquaifying language ("dinosaur"), say its inevitable etc., etc.

Politics is about who controls what, which is what makes this an emotive, controversial topic in the first place.

Of course the abolition of cash is not a neutral matter.

...and you d be naïve to think power still resides within our political institutions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Instead they present all kinds of scenarios, disquaifying language ("dinosaur"), say its inevitable etc., etc.

The cash is king people are godwinning the thread and inventing scenarios where the government and banks implement dystopian controls on your bank account, let's not pretend it's only one side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just back from the shop where I got the paper.

I had a few small denomination coins after Christmas and looked for a charity box.

There wasn't one.

Another side effect of increasing cashless transactions I suppose.

Yes, we should be thinking about roaming gangs of pickpockets and the clumsiness we all suffer from, dropping our wallets.

I don’t get this issue with cash, if people want to use cash, so be it, I use both and don’t want to be restricted to either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes but its not a symmetrical debate. People like me care deepy about financial privacy, financial freedom and the use of cash and I'm happy to say so. I'm also not for limiting other people's consumer options - I'm not demanding that card payments be phased out. (I'm not a money launderer or a tax evader btw.)

Whereas anti-cash people can't own up to their real motivations and end up hiding fake diatribes about old biddies dipping into their coin purse. Or something equally silly and irrelevant.

Can you or others explain why some want cash eliminated and care so much about it, without waffling? I suspect you can't.

Btw Godwinning = evoking Hitler and the Nazis?

Another interesting but incorrect interpretation of something I didn't say, and less than 5 minutes after this time, you're getting better.

"Most people don't use cash" was the proposition.

Not 'cash is used less often than digital'.

As such your research is on the wrong track, and doesnt account for what I would call 'sane, normal people' who use both and dont give a donkeys.

Also the statement wasnt restricted to Irish people, globally more people still use cash, largely due to unreliable or non existant internet availability in low income/high population countries.

I have no issue with cash, I think it has it's place and it is due to reasons posted here (If I go on the rip and spend 200 quid I don't need revolut reminding me) but card is just easier. What I'm finding funny is every argument against card presented here actually is a stronger argument for it.

"What if you drop your phone"

I have my watch and physical cards, what if you drop your wallet?

"What if someone hacks your account and empties it"

I contact the fraud squad and eventually get it back, what happens if someone breaks into your house and robs your life savings?

"What if the payment system goes down?"

I go somewhere else, same as you do if the power cuts, but it's not really something I factor into my day to day living.

If Ireland went back to Lazer cards and 15 euro minimum card spends, I would adapt to a cash based life, same as most people would. If we went fully digital could the cash is king crowd say the same?

And RE:godwinning, only a few posts ago

Jawol meine Fuhrer I vill use meine kard. Cash is fur dem undesirables. Und it ist society that ist obsessed, und definitely nicht you.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

There's an economy on its own involved with cash, long may it last

What about the issue of domestic violence when it comes to this cash free society nonsense.

It neednt be just the govt watching you, or any of the tinfoil conspiracy stuff.

A victim of domestic violence with access to cash, and the option to set aside some cash, and to spend anonymously is a lot less vulnerable to a controlling parter than one whose movements are timed and tracked and quantified.

Digital must be a controlling partners dream, and a domestic violence victims nightmare.

We've already seen based on an example earlier in the thread that the consumer isn getting a cheaper service because of a move of one particular business to cashless.

I certainly amnt demanding more cashless services as it's obvious to me it doesnt benefit the consumer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement