Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Hardly that surprising when you consider the number of players available for selection for both clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy Christmas All deise heads

Let's hope 2023 will be a good one and we will be all sitting down this time next year watching ' Aussie lift the Liam MacCarthy'

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The liam McCartney sounds interesting.. God bless the alcohol!

Anyway if we don't win it I'd be delighted to see ye finally get over the line, hon the Deise

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Damn autocorrect my mistake

I'd welcoming sing any Beatles song if we lift 'Liam'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Is there an off-button for Pat? Honestly it’s bad enough Derek McGrath spouting s***e regularly in the media without this lad chiming in aswell

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/it-is-hard-going-three-years-non-stop-at-the-level-liam-was-asking-pat-bennett-expects-deise-to-rise-again-42237362.html

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Do you really think articles like this or those from McGrath have any bearing on season ahead…..they are just one person’s opinion/sound bites written to grab attention and get clicks online and sell papers off line which in turn allows publishers/web sites to justify their advertising pieces…..can you imagine the pure shite limerick media are / have pedalled about their hurlers over the past 4 years….has it had any visible impact on them…..? Think the answer is not one iota

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Limerick are fairly well measured in their dealings with the media and I'd include the local media in that. If Tipperary done a 3 in a row there'd be people literally vomiting at the self congratulations and general bombast being spoken by them. Derek is a disaster in the media. He is a teacher trying to turn everything into philosophy. He's embarrassing. Pat is just a chancer of the highest order. No discipline whatsoever in the the media and he's passed it on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Only a week to go till the first competitive game of 2023 and we face Liam Cahills Tipperary in Fraher Field (3rd Jan 7pm)

Davy is a ultra competitive manager and is successful enough in these pre season tournaments everywhere he goes. In his first stint with us we won the 'Waterford Crystal Cup' in 2010 & 2011, Clare got too 4 finals winning 2 in 2013 & 2016 and Wexford getting too 3 Walsh Cup finals under him winning 2

What are the rules of media contributions by ex managers, players etc etc…..the answer is none….it’s up to the sports editor of whatever paper / web site etc to decide……papers / web site will print/post anything so long as it’s not libellous

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Hi Lads, I got gifted a season ticket for xmas , with the ticketmaster account being under someone else's name does that mean I need to get them to apply for tickets and do everything else in regard to the account, or is there any way i can deal with my own season ticket account cheers!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

The injury helps explain why he was taken off against Cork in the championship. I also felt he was subdued in the club championship as he sort of sat back defensively instead of using his blistering pace. Good news on Iarla too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

The league is dead let’s be honest here while yes it’s a national title we couldn’t even celebrate as championship was coming up . A decent league giving fringe players a try should be objective and to just get out of Munster Championship would at least have us back to somewhere we want to be . Mentally a lot of damage was done last season and Davy’s leash might be a lot shorter then it should be .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DeHorse88

Amy mention of the Waterford panel for 2023 yet? I’m sure there are plenty new names but anyone dropped from last years panel?

Kieran & Shane Bennett are obviously away travelling.

Imagine a load of new faces in the squads for the Munster League games

Think a senior member of the squad got married yesterday and hard too see any of the fellow experienced players been in the squad for next Tuesdays game

Kind for worrying to hear Daly say they are going for the league again. If what he says is true and I can't imagine he would be lying then it's bizarre. Is this Davy's intransigence and need to go gung ho for every Mickley mouse competition. Thats his modus operandi. Win the Munster league and go well in the national league and that keeps the pressure off come championship. Mad stuff

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Get your point but many of Brian Cody's Kilkenny teams done similar for many seasons and it worked for them be it in a different time where there were big breaks between games/tournaments etc

Maybe too much is been wrote into this 'league form vs Championship form' and the media not helping it. I doubt the sponsors/TG4 want too devalue the tournament. If it is a 'secondary hurling championship' why play the Munster League and Walsh Cups etc ???

Did Limerick blame winning the league in 2019 when they lost to Kilkenny in the AI semi final ??

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

We've never won stuff 2 years running. I'm in favour of trying to win the league again in '23.

I'm also in favour of winning other stuff too. But, if we're going to enter a team in the league we may as well try and win it.

He can hardly come out and say ‘ah shur Davey said we will be taking it handy up until April, we will be putting out experimental teams and concentrating on peaking for da Munster championship’…..?

True but no one from Limerick has said they are going for the league. Daly came out and said they are 'going fo it'. Bizarre. It would be classic Davy behaviour. He's yesterday's man..he really is.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

The league is not now, nor has it ever been dead, there's great games between the best teams week on week, one or 2 teams will send out duds but most counties play it serious enough , Liam chose to overtrain the team and it came a cropper, he was really onto something and the cork lads walking out of semple said likewise, you're suffering from revisionist history

should be a good game

Can't get any later in the year for a final anyway

Eddie O'Donnell Monumental Works Eastern U20 A Hurling C'Ship - Final

HT

DLS 0-06

Ballygunner 0-08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Happy new year lads, I say it this time every year but hopefully the coming season is finally our time. Hard to see it though, this Limerick team look to have a few more AI’s in them unfortunately, as boring as it’s starting to get seeing them win all around them.

What are genuine expectations for the year and what would be classed as acceptable? We simply have to get out of Munster, no more excuses. From there, anything could happen but I just want to see us perform like we did against Cork in the league final rather than the flat performance against Cork in championship.

I’ll go with us finally getting out of Munster but an AI quarter or semi will be our lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Getting out of Munster has to be the aim. It won't be any easier though as I don't see any soft touch. However if we could manage it, our record against the non Munster teams recently is excellent, we've beaten each of them on the last time we played.

I'm not too bothered about the league. In my view Davy tends to target certain fixtures rather than the entire league and I'd be hoping for similar. It may be forgotten but last year we seemed to have a lot of slow to heal injuries, particularly quad injuries, and it would be a boost if we could get a clearer run this year.

Under 20 is an unpredictable grade now with the rule that you become ineligible if you play senior. So I'd be hoping that the minors can make a step up. None of the recent minor teams have been bad but we need one very good one to come through to remain up with the other counties. Though I'm not sure I see that sort of team coming yet.

Definitely has to be an All Ireland semi. You could argue a Munster final win is a realistic goal. I can see Waterfords gameplan not suiting the squad. ( Davy can't change). Realistically Munster is so difficult I think every team including Limerick would be happy to just get out .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

No sign of the waterford team yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

You’re putting 2 and 2 together here and getting 5. Relax boy it’s only an interview.

Advertisement