Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lets make alooo(o)f regret it in his first week Munster v Leinster Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thought Munster's midfield wasn't up to much even when their pack were giving good ball to work with. Carbery isn't a good 10 and Crowley isn't a good 12. Frisch tried hard, but as the game wore on and Munster lost the lead he got sloppy and tried things that weren't really on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Disappointing result for Munster but a decent effort. I wonder if Casey had started, might the result have been different, we’re so much better in attack with him. Munster are a work in progress in attack but are improving. I like that Munster have an ambition to run kicks back, but I would prefer more coordination in how they do it. Daly toward the end went running off on his own away from support was a costly penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its funny how some refs are really strict on some things and others take no notice of the same.

Im fairly sure the leinster lineout lifters went in front of the jumper nearly everytime they set a maul, and it was never pinged, i think wayne barnes is a stickler for that.

All 4 SH’s fed the scrum crooked, which used to be a problem for some refs

If an average punter can pick up on those things then teams analysis departments must have a file on every refs do’s and donts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

When you’re behind on the scoreboard and against the clock there comes a time when you have to force it.

Still thought Frisch, especially in the first half, was the best of our 3/4 line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Casey is def improving. I didn't buy into the hype when he "burst" onto the scene. He was tenacious and had a fighting attitude that fans like in a small SH. But he didn't have the skills to match.

His decision making and kicking have improved. But I don't think he's knocked Murray off the no.9 red shirt, yet. He will though - unless something drastic happens to his/Murray's career trajectories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Standard enough stuff down there. Loads of “phassun” about 2 games a season and that’s about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I really like Penney as a player he has that bit of dog about him, in a similar way that Connors has and Hodnett too. Both teams will be delighted with them but you get the impression they'll never get the International recognition they might have got in years gone by.

McCarthy had a good game but he gives away some stupid penalties. The one at the ruck he was penalised for he could have been pinged for any number of offences at that one ruck.

Another poor game from Baird I thought, his stock has really dropped.

Cases and Murray were night and day. Murray wasn't helped by Carbery or Crowley never taking it to the line but Casey's passing was making them do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

You should be banned for blasphemy. Alooooof? Where you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Stephens Day is usually a tourist crowd more than a usual rugby crowd anyways . All the Christmas present crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Something drastic has already happened to Murray’s career trajectory. The World Cup seems a long way away for him. Healy too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Similarly Busby didn't call any changing binds at maul time, and never once told a player on the wrong side to get out. When you have a defending player literally pulling attacking players out of the maul from the attacking side you know you're doing it wrong.

He was consistently average for both sides.

I wonder if Casey had started, might the result have been different, we’re so much better in attack with him.

Was about to post the exact same thing. Really want to see him start v Northampton now, he’s earned it.

I like that Munster have an ambition to run kicks back, but I would prefer more coordination in how they do it. Daly toward the end went running off on his own away from support was a costly penalty.

I think we really missed Haley at FB in this regard tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Why do you think Carbery has developed into an average 10? Is it the injuries, or playing in a team that has struggled to win trophies, or the coaching, or did he not have the ability to play 10?

He seems to be trying to play on the gain line a little more which is good.

I think Healy is further from a WC than Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ben or Cian? Lol. Cian Healy should not be anywhere close to the team. He's spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Neither should be in France unless they book their own flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Not unhappy poor-gamestyle Munster are tricked by their own tactics

+ Leinster are now overfed with wins, they will slow down this weekend (one Connacht fan can hope^^)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He must be from one of those sub Saharan areas where they carry the bread baskets on their heads.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To quote a certain political party…

A lot done. More to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It's a career training with Toner at first receiver

• Advertisement

Fair point. Some of the Leinster crowds can be similar.

Phassun.

Fashion.

It’s only Dunnes but thanks for the compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭mun1

awful performance from munster during the sin bin, we should not be losing to that leinster selection at home.

Poor performance and decision making at key moments was the difference. Relying on turnovers too much

not sure why Barron & Casey didn’t start.

for all the fancy footwork in the back line, still no cutting edge when in the red zone. Created a few chances , just couldnt execute .

Well done on the win leinster.

Right , I’m off before the trolls roll in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm selling all my Baird as a lock stock but I'm still buying stock in Baird as a 6.

He is probably 5th choice as a lock and either first or second choice at 6 depending on the team we are facing.

Thought Baird went well enough at second row. He isn't an edge monster like Ryan or Jenkins are but he tried getting stuck in. Joe McCarthy was the physically dominant lock in that partnership tonight.

Baird has impressed at blind side flanker this season though and I think that's his position going forward.

Mentioned on the Leinster thread about how excited I am by Jamie Osborne and Joe McCarthy. Both are just 21 years old, yet they're excelling in big games already. They have the talent to go to the very top of the game.

McCarthy outshone a far more experienced opposition and was a monster in contact. Osborne showed so lovely football skills to unlock the Munster defence.

Which is kinda where I thought we’d be to be fair.

I still feel we’ve seen more from Prendergast in 6 months than we’d seen from Larkham in 3 years. And overall the skills of the forwards seem better. Which is a marked improvement from where we were.

The question mark is at 9 for me. I’ve been a defender Murray for awhile, but I think Casey deserves to start the big games ahead of him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Heineken knockout level of intensity. Credit to Leinster Their defense is simply awesome.

Joey makes more than 1/3 off the tee... or if Crowley finds touch late in the game... or if even one of those two tap-n-go moves had been stopped, Munster probably edge it.

Tough lessons to learn, but those are the margins and inaccuracies you just can't afford if you want to win at this level.

Rowntree looked absolutely shook afterwards talking to TG4. This guy gets it, this guy really cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That leinster selection?

That was a good leinster team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I’d say a combination of injuries, poor coaching and probably not being suited to 10 at the highest level from the get go.

When he came through his elusive running and ability to step in at second receiver as a playmaker were his best traits. The extra space at 15 gave him the chance to pick a line or step a defender and he was good enough to either ghost through the space or pick the right pass to supporting player.

Playing at 10 he hasn’t the time or space. He’s shipped a few injuries when he’s tried to take it to the line in the last few years. Just seems to shovel it on and doesn’t seem to be able (or confident enough at this stage) to order the players around him into attacking patterns. His defence in the front line is suspect and cost us a couple of tries over in NZ in first and second tests.

He’s a nice footballer but not a top level 10 and unlikely to develop into one at this stage.

Advertisement