Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lets make alooo(o)f regret it in his first week Munster v Leinster Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

14-0

just inexcusable for that to be the losing of the game. When you hear “a bad yellow card period” you don’t expect it to be the other team with the yellow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

All you can ask for in a game is consistency, but the league, the leagues, the hemispheres, the cup competitions and the sport has and never will have consistency, which i guess makes it more interesting and frustrating in equal parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nearly every Leinster team is a good team these days but look at all the players who were missing. VDF, Sexton, JGP, Doris, Furlong, Ryan would have made the team a lot stronger. The form he's in I think Doris alone would have made a huge difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I remember hearing a stat a few years ago that the All Blacks didn’t concede a single try during a yellow card period for an entire season.

Really impressive, but a defensive stat which is what you expect to hear.

14-0 against during a single yellow card period is as bad a sin bin period as I can remember tbh.

I think he’s always had the pass quality ( m he’s the best passer in Ireland for me). He’s really improved other areas in the last 6-12 months tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I remember listening to a few podcasts in the build up to Leinster vs Racing and every show were in agreement that the only way to beat Leinster is to prevent them from having the ball. They're so good in possession that they when they're dialled in they just don't make silly unenforced errors.

The yellow card seemed to galvanise the squad and they went up a level in intensity. Munster couldn't match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

On reflection, I would have given the motm award to Ringrose. Munster tried shifting the ball wide but he read that pull back pass so well that he either forced them back inside or he made a massive hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

A few things. The argument about Carberry being Ireland's second 10 should be put to bed. Byrne has consistently outplayed him when they have played each other and did again tonight.

Coombes is rapidly developing into a real quality player. He and Deegan deserve time with the 6n squad/

Frisch is an interesting add for Munster, but he isnt at the stage that some of the young Leinster lads are at.

Murray is past it. Healy's only shot is if we only have 5 props on the plane. To be fair to him, he has worked hard to add TH to his list of skills, but its a huge ask.

Good game and seeing how Munster have lost to teams closer to Leinster thirds than seconds in recent years, this was a step up.

Still, Ulster is a huge game for their season. Any chance of a home quarter depends on a win in Ravenhill

Small point but the 5m tap-and-go try Leinster conceded vs the Bulls was obviously hugely costly at the time, but they seem to have learned a tonne from it.

Conversely, Munster continue to go Scannell first phase, Coombes 2nd.

Coombes is so good from 5m out, there’s a decent case for it, but we need more variety.

(Incidentally, thought Coombes and POM were both very good 2nite).

• Advertisement

Squad size was changed to bring 9 front rows to RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Who would people have ahead of Cian Healy as a LH.

For me it's Porter and maybe Loughman. That's it. I don't understand why people say he shouldn't be on the plane.

I do note that I'd give Loughman the bench spot ahead of Healy for the six nations. IMO Healy is only a little ahead and Loughman will benefit from getting a run in the 23.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For what it’s worth I’d still take Carbery over Byrne at international level. It’s just not the same and I don’t think the latter has the necessary athletic ability to do it at the next level. That said he probably deserves another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’m a bit baffled why Casey isn’t starting for Munster, it could have changed the result had he been on longer.

Ringrose was the classiest player on the pitch again, his reading of the game is just on a different level.

I think Warwick’s form last season deserved a go.

But I think Loughman’s handling alone could see him move ahead of Healy for Ireland, would really suit Irelands style.

And on that point with regards the back-up 10 debate, I think that’s what goes against Ross Byrne; he just doesn’t suit our style at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Munster for a home quarter final? Surely you mean 8th place. Munster must win against ulster to have any chance of a top 8. Don't forget benatton play zebra again with another 5 points in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That was a huge second half from Leinster. Despite being down a man for 10 mins of it, we turned the possession and territory from 37% and 51% respectively in the first half to 60% and 68% in the second. It wasn’t sexy, but we got the heads down and took control of that game in the second 40. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Fantastic game to watch...in open play...if you ignored some laws...as Busby did! LOL

Ref was sh!te for both teams. Needs to work on his footwork. Not sure he has the spatial awareness necessary.

* Blue-tinted glasses here.

Not a terrible performance. Socks were pulled up in second half.

Big Joe might just become great.

Osbourne any day over Frisch.

BOD was a decade ahead of his time and dragged Leinster and Ireland into the professional era but Ringrose is consistently better. * Sue me. LOL

On to Munster...

Even a blind man can see that Casey should be #9. And in Irish 23. Murray's finished. Casey and Patterson should be 9/21 Feck the rumours of contractually assured places.

Great to see Coombes on rampage again. Fantastic player.

Get Crowley to 10 ASAP. He has a great future ahead of him. Carbery's future is behind him.

Rowntree's interview was very telling. He knows that there are lads not pulling their weight in his squad - it's the older generation IMO. Youngsters are great.

* I like Rowntree and hope that he gets his chance to bring the youth through. And not just there to get rid of the old guard for PR purposes before ROG's return.

Whatever, trust youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think if they beat Ulster they win their next 5. Then they get to SA very much in the mix for a decent finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

High intensity game. Enjoyable. You can see green shoots in Munster's play. They are still lacking in a couple of areas and I think there are 1 or 2 players who are no longer at the level required.

If you didn't know why Ireland/Leinster are investing a lot of time into McCarthy well you should now. He's a physically imposing lock who has good hands and quick. He still has plenty of wrinkles but he has a massive ceiling. Osbourne looks a prospect too.

Ringrose is playing at a super high level at the moment. Is there a centre in world rugby playing as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Be interesting to see who Farrell will pick between Deegan and Coombes. Deegan played well but I taught Coombes edged the dual overall. Deegan is more mobile, but Coombes is a more powerful carrier in the tight. From a Munster point of view, Coombes has put together some excellent performances these past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why would he necessarily pick either at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Agreed. Don't think either would get into an Ireland 23, at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I mean the 37 man Irish Squad for the 6N. Agreed, they wouldn't make the matchday 23.

Deegan would have a chance to make squad if Doris can't make it. But Coombes stands a better chance if Doris going. Offers something different.

Although, TBH, I'd send either ahead of Conan...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Munster have definitely turned a corner. They will be kicking themselves for that sin bin period. Though Leinster just seemed to shift a couple of gears at that point. That’s the most evenly matched Derby game with Munster in a long time.

How Casey didn’t start I don’t know. Between snipping and quick passes out beyond the 15, he was keeping Leinster guessing in defence. Munster attacked so much better with him on. For the most part Munsters defence was excellent too. Thought it went awol in that 10 minutes. Plenty of positives in that game for Munster to build on. Yet it also shows them how far they have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Why would Jack Conan get picked ahead of them on current form?

"Munster have definitely turned a corner"

For sure...

BUT they still look unsure when they go past 12 through the hands. It's bizarre. Is that why Murray kicks it? The only way he thinks the wingers might get their hands on the ball?

* Great to see that little prick-ly bollix, Casey, ordering and organizing pods around him. I'd have him on my team any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Frisch looks like Mr Bean mates with Paul Giamatti.

Advertisement