Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looking at the table and it looks very hard to catch so many of the teams above us but I never took in to account the WC so it gives us 3 more games compared to this stage of a normal season.

This means we can either gain points or lose points, depending if you're a half glass full or half glass empty kind of person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Haven't seen much of Gakpo but wasn't hugely impressed with him at the WC. Then again, the Dutch weren't that good anyway.

I'll be happier if we get Amrabat in also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's some rebuild of the front line over the last two years.

Gone from Mane, Mo, Bobby, Origi, Minamino to Mo (30), Bobby (31), Jota (26), Diaz (25), Nunez (23) and Gakpo (23).

Also done a good job on the defense adding Tsimikas, Konate and Ramsey to Robertson, Matip, VVD, Gomez and TAA.

Now to add the missing pieces to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Do we think that Gakpo means bobby is moving on in the summer?

There was talk of a new short term deal (1-2 year) for Bobby during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It didn't take long for one player to arrive after VVD said this.

Maybe a few more are on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The fee for Gakpo seems very reasonable to be fair.

Very reasonable when you see Chelsea paid €70m for Nkunku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He looks raw and player from the dutch league is always a toss up. Still it's welcome given the injuries to the left side and if it means I don't have to watch oxlade chamberlain again I'm for it.

Surely though if we are spending money on an attacker in January, a midfielder is been lined up too.

• Advertisement

Where does this leave Jota? I could be wrong but if Gapko I’d left side, that leaves Diaz, Jota and Gapko on the left, Nunez and possibly Booby centre and Mo right, with Carvalho there somewhere as well.

im sure they know what is best, but a midfielder seems a more obvious need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Jota is best through the middle imo, we also toyed around a lot with a 442 before all the injuries so we could see that again.

I think this is going to be a head wrecker for LFC fans unless a top midfielder joins as well, Reminds me of Rafas gripe about Valancia, I asked for a sofa, they bought me a lampshade (something to that effect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If a cross came into the box, I still see Jota as our most clinical striker. If it's one touch required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Also that was quite the couple hours to spend not checking my phone 😆

Agreed, don’t get me wrong, I’m delighted when new players come in, but I’d prefer someone in the engine room rather than competition up front.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Competition for places is no bad thing. It's something we have struggled with before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolutely but as ppl have said with the other two out still, we only have three proper options for three positions if you don't count Carvalho or Ox.

That being said, if this is our only signing I'd now be surprised.

Agreed, but I would prefer if the competition was a little further back, hopefully that is to follow. Really hope that 50m is not the amount we missed out in a top quality midfielder. In Klopp we trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Nice to get the win, scoring a few goals en route. The period of 20 mins after half time we're very worrying and number of chances Villa had throughout is a concern. Allison is a beast though. Liverpool created a good number of chances themselves which is encouraging. Overall, just nice to win and get back on track after the break.

I'm not convinced by Gakpo, I was hoping Man United were going to sign him. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's a good way at looking at things and definitely puts a more positive angle on it.

Apologies for being negative but I don't see why they are signing him. I would have thought that the next attacker Liverpool signed would have been a young RW/CF hybrid. Ready to take over from Salah in a couple of years. Diaz / Jota / Nunez all play LW & CF and so does Gakpo. Carvalho plays LW sometimes too. It's very stacked on one side and scarce on the other. And that's before getting into the ability side of things.

He's big and quick. A bit like Nunez, perhaps? Are we fully committed to playing 4-4-2? Diaz as the traditional wide man with Salah also very wide and Nunez & Gakpo as front men. Jota filling in when needed?

The fact that Liverpool are signing an attacker before the window opens would suggest to me that there is cash there for a midfielder too. As midfield is the obvious gap that needs filling and has been for a while. They wouldn't be signing a forward over a midfielder if they only had money for 1 or the other, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

Football fans often think there is a magic wand, "sign Bellingham" or in the past "sign Messi", "sign Maldini" etc and it just gets magically done.

Perhaps Gakpo was signed because he could have been signed. It was realistic, club willing to sell and player willing to come. You need both of these for a transfer to happen. Also similar to Diaz there might have been strong interest from another club and Liverpool had to act now or never.

In the same way I think some fans are getting ahead of themselves thinking that it must mean a midfielder is coming in. There is absolutely no guarantee of this. Obviously I hope the right midfielder does come in during this window.

But as we have seen before with VVD, maybe the deal for the player(s) we want is simply not feasible at this time. We could easily be soldiering along with this squad plus Gakpo until the summer.

The same thing happened when we got Davies/Ozan Kabak(remember him?) in Jan and waited for Konate which was the correct long term move. But of course plenty of fans wanted their magic wand that January as well.

TBF, it’s precisely because of the CB issue and affect it had on the team that fans think it is important to sign a midfielder. The CB problem was unanticipated, the midfield problem is longstanding, and don’t forget, VVD wanted to join LFC even though other clubs were interested, LFC may not have that luxury in the summer with prospective signings.

It's a max fee of €50m and they are actually covering LW now that Jota and Diaz are out until March. If they didn't sign Gakpo and someone else picks up an injury it means we'd have Carvahlo and Ox starting in the front three.

Gakpo is a smart signing (especially given the fee) and the way I see it ending up is Diaz/Gakpo for LW, Nunez/Jota/Bobby CF and Salah for RW. I also think Klopp is going to give a chance to Doak and Gordon to be Salahs understudy long term but with Diaz/Jota/Ox slotting in in the short term.

I was reading that Gakpo is a Pep signing and a player he has wanted at the club for a longtime and believes he will be the missing link for the forward line.

Maybe Gakpo will be longterm understudy to Salah he is a naturally right footed footballer who is playing on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

All our left sided guys are like that though aren't they? Diaz, Jota, Nunez, and Gakpo are all naturally right footed footballers playing on the left, just as Salah is a naturally left footed footballer playing on the right.

They're all guys who score by coming inside onto their strong foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I reckon we might see Firmino leave in the summer now

Well have

Gakpo,Diaz LW

Nunez, Jota, CF

Mo & Doak RW

Not sure where Carvalho fits in

If there are going to go 442 at times it would make sense to have a right footed player on the right for crossing instead of Salah.

One thing with the signing is it give options and more pace and pace is always good.

Don't think most people are that stupid in fairness.

Back in the CB season, people were frustrated cause it looked like we just desperately needed a fourth choice defender asap to cling onto top four. We had VVD and Matip as the theoretical first choice, Gomez as third choice, and needed another body, so people were going a bit mad as to why we couldn't find that person. In they end, they took a huge risk, and then went for someone to push as a starter instead (which no-one was asking for).

This CM issue is a different one - we don't just need that one midfielder, we probably need 3 in the very near future (With Ox, Naby, and Milner all leaving/ageing out). One or two of those may be these top quality guys that are hard to bring in like Enzo or Bellingham, but we need both starter level and backup level. Really, for right now, we need legs. We're desperate for a decent enough player who can do the simple things, but who has the legs to keep running and bring energy back to the midfield.

• Advertisement

tbh any of them doing that job feels like a waste... they're all goal scorers who have the high values they have for what they can do in and around the box. Relegating someone like Gakpo to a wide right position to whip in crosses would feel quite a shame. If we were doing that sort of thing, I'd much rather be using lads like Ramsay or Trent or even Ox for it - our fullbacks on both sides are all basically old fashioned wingers anyway, so if we wanted to go for old fashioned wingers crossing in balls, they're all the most suited.

I hope none of that is the plan though, if we were going 4-4-2 I'd much rather a diamond, with Mo and Nunez up front together, and maybe Gakpo behind in the hole. We've a lot of options now anyway alright - let's just hope we can also soon build a midfield capable of controlling a game well enough to give them the platform they'd need.

Whatever system Klopp decides to play the signing strengthens the bench and with 5 subs allowed it gives plenty of options to change a game if needed.

Also with injuries if they rotate and rest players so not to burn them out with all the football is being played.

This is what City standout at doing and have been doing for years while winning.

City spent £100m on a sub.

yeah, totally agree with all that, im very happy we got him, was just less than sure about using our forwards as orthodox touchline wingers.

I do think there are games where that can be helpful especially against teams that sit deep get Nunez and Jota down the middle both good headers of the ball and get classic wingers crossing.

Klopp needs to make it a bit more unpredictable at times.

Yeah, that can be an option for sure, I just wouldn't have Gakpo doing it, I'd have someone whose game is built on crossing from wide positions doing it instead (which we also have plenty of)

It doesn't have to be Gakpo it could be Diaz it could be Jota it could be Nunez it could be Salah it could be Elliott it could be Carvalho depending on formations we will now have have depth in the forward line.

Bobby is probably the only forward player we have now that can't really play out wide in any formation.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I mean, they're all decent footballers, any of them could do it to some extent, but it just feels like a way of forcing lads into the team. In reality i'd say the best options for chalk-on-the-boots wingers who can deliver a great cross are Robertson, Tsimikas, Ramsay, and Trent. They're the ones whose games are based around delivering quality ball from wide positions. The other lads are all high profile players because of what they do closer to goal.

One of Gakpo main strengths are his crosses to the back post.

yeah? that's good so. can't say i've ever seen him on the right, he's been central or left cutting inside every time i've watched him. doesn't seem he's played there at club level this year so far anyway.

Watch Hendo's reaction in a split second as the ball goes over his head he goes from WTF was that pass to then damn Robbo before realising TAA just did something special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's pretty easy to see a vacant spot for Gakpo on the left side of the attack at the moment. Diaz is close to a write off for this season. Even if he gets back in March he won't have played in almost 6 months so it's going to take him time to get back up to speed. We've been cobbling together a left sided attacker using Carvalho or Ox but it's not their position really. Both are square pegs in round holes out there.

Next season will be interesting as you'll have Diaz and Gakpo who play in the same areas and even Darwin likes to peel off to the left hand side of the attack. Not sure how they will all fit together. I think the hope is that we can sneak into the top 4 for this season and cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Advertisement

Some reports startring to apper this afternoon that Bellingham like Haaland before him had a hidden release clause in his contract that he can leave next summer for £60m.

If that is the case maybe BVB cash in on him in Janauary for closer to £100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I think Mo's goal could be a contender (maybe not outright winner) of goal of the season. Tent's exquisite pass, Andy's run and precise volley, and Mo's one touch finish. It was a FIFA '22 goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

How does that tweet make Romano a spoofer? He said Gakpo wanted to join MUFC and that it was on Utd to decide if they wanted to proceed with a move for the player. What if Utd decided against or didn't have the funds to make an offer? Or what if the links to Utd made Liverpool push ahead with making an offer (similar to with Diaz being linked to Spurs)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He has contacts in the footballing world, but he either positioned himself or has been put in this position where it seems like he is the pre-eminent transfer source when the truth is he likely piggybacks off a lot of others to get his information. In this instance he was just rehashing the news other had reported before him. A lot of people would have been caught out by this transfer, and seeing as Romano did not report our interest seriously just shows he was not as informed as he would have liked to be on this one. Whether that makes him a spoofer most of the time, would be for individuals to decide.

More options is great, you can always sell a player too in the future. Jota has proven to be a bit injury prone and can be fairly hot and cold. Salah owns the right and has never been injured, I believe gakpo can also play on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Cant go too far wrong at 37m, i know nothing about the lad, our record in the transfer market is remarkable over the Klopp era and i trust his judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ah come on Brendan,look at the timeline of the tweet. He said at half 10 yesterday morning that Gakpo was still keen to join Man utd and 12 hours later he is a Liverpool player.

Not saying Utd weren't interested in him at some stage but the deal was as good as done yesterday morning when Romano tweeted the above

Anytime a player comes in and fails they usually struggle to adapt to the pace and intensity to the league, Darwin has exactly the opposite problem. We know the lad can finish he scored 34 last season. The reaction to his sub was telling last night the away section chanted his name. He gives everything and helps the team, that is always valued and appreciated. I'm just so excited about this player once he starts finishing chances he'll be unstoppable. Kick the ball long and put him in a foot race with a defender he's the only winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Darwin is raw and chaotic. In front of goal he's sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shyt. That's something that I'm very comfortable Klopp and Pep will address over time, and I'd expect a bit more refinement in his decision-making and shooting.

That said, when he's not scoring, he's a real handful, and i enjoy watching him, wondering what will happen next. Sometimes that's turd, but on the balance i think he's a real asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We're a great squad, with no team.

No one can tell me our strongest side, or formation

• Advertisement
Advertisement