Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Should be easy enough to find out who was driving the council vehicle. Did the driver have a passenger that can be a witness to back them up?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

New car prices really gone nuts saw a yaris luna spec advertised last night over 26k thats insane money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Yaris Platinum (which isn’t even that massively specced) is touching €30k

That was Avensis Luna money what seems like not that long ago (but actually is quite a long time ago!)

Thats what i was thinking would have got an avensis for that money few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ordinaryfella

Anyone recommend some place in Dublin to get a small bit of welding done? Looking to get an o2 sensor bung welded on to an existing pipe, all mild steel. Seems too small of a job for proper exhaust places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

Watching the late brake show this morning and it feature mike brewer WD and lo and behold a limerick reg'd land rover in his collection !

https://youtu.be/ydQwQtgiExw?t=23

Liked his light dig at Edd. Something like, ‘where’s his tv show? I’d be unemployed now if I’d left too.’

In fairness to Mike, if Edd wanted WD to go the way of his YouTube channel, he’d have ruined it. Gave up after a few episodes. 20 minutes to take 6 bolts out a Range Rover. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 652 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I love his YT channel, find it all very interesting. But each to there own

Exactly, loved him on WD but his YouTube style just didn’t grab me. He’s getting great views and subscribers and I’d never begrudge him that.

Be great to see him and Mike bury the hatchet if they can for a 20th anniversary episode of WD. Pink Floyd did it for Live 8 many years ago, so maybe there is hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

My pet hate. If I'm faced with fog lights I flash them as if there's a checkpoint up ahead. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Americans and their gas prices as they call them. My oul pair were over in America about three weeks ago and hired a Toyota Camry automatic but anyway they drove from New York city to Philadelphia and then out to the sticks to see the Amish. Anyway they couldn't believe all they put in was 60 dollars for all that driving and to think they are all complaining over there at the minute about sky high gas prices. How cheap was petrol a few years ago or even sometime last year for them.

They want to have their cake and eat it too. Hybrid Camry would be easy enough on fuel anyway. They want no compromises. They want 6.0L plus full size, 7 seater SUV, pulling a boat, driving hundreds of miles a week and loads of electrics inside it to cost the same to fuel as we expect to run a Yaris on.

(Massive generalisation, I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'd consider them jewellery in the front of the car as I had quite a few cars that had them and no matter how foggy none of them ever seemed to make a meaningful difference, from the drivers seat point of view anyway.

Its the lack of etiquette with rear fogs that actually grind my gears. By all means keep them on when there is no cars directly behind you and until a car comes up to within viewing distance of you (just with your regular tail lamps on). But please knock the fukers off when I'm directly behind you as they're burning the eyes out of my head and not assisting from a health and safety point of view.... I can pick up the mantle and keep mine on until the next vehicle comes up to a reasonable distance behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I normally use just water for windscreen washer fluid, in the cold weather it froze. Does brand name windscreen fluid wash have a lower freezing point? Can't find out online, heard of people using a drop of coolant or anitfreeze, but not sure if that is a good idea.

Yes you need washer fluid lower freezing point,coolant will damage paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭passatman86

"Can't resist posting "

I drive with my fog lights on

"feel better now"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Vodka, all you need is vodka. Honestly, I put a splash in when filling up and it keeps it fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes use washer fluid. If the water freezes your tank can break and the washer pump can break. You may have to use a higher ratio in very cold weather. Concentrated is usually better value and motor factors cheaper than petrol stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

What is van had a taxi sign, or was a minibus, whether the vehicle was approved to be in the bus lane really makes no difference to who was at fault. Ideally get reg of offending vehicle and get gardai to get insurance details from council. I have a dash cam to try help in these type situations .

Anyone remember a Motors Forum Christmas Carol?

I don’t remember who posted it. Over 10 years ago anyway. I remember it being quite funny, something about Santa’s sleigh being pulled by a pair of 1.9TDI’s!

• Advertisement

Dashing through the snow in my big block Chevrolet

Down the road I go, sliding all the way

I need new piston rings, I need some new snow tyres

My car is held together by a piece of baling wire

Oh the rust and smoke, the heaters broke,

the door just blew away, I lit a match to see the dash

and then I start to pray, ah, the frame is bent

the muffler went, the radio it's ok

Oh what fun it is to drive this rusty Chevrolet.

I think that was me 😄 I think I had been drinking.. let me do some searching

You’re bang on with the 10 years hoodie!

'twas the night before Christmas

And all through the yard

Not a jammer was stirring

Not even a ford

The cars were all parked, and not in the way

In the hopes that they wouldn't get a belt of a sleigh

The owner was all snuggled up in his bed

Wondering how to diplomaticly lock the clamping thread

And mother whose thoughts hardly contained

A diesel i30 properly maintained

We'd all settled down from a night on the beer

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter

A bit like a passat when its on full chatter

I wouldn't have gotten out of the scratcher

If I wasn't on the batter

When I looked at the sleigh

I couldn't believe my eyes

It was powered by a pair of 1.9 TDIs

I spotted the slightly blue LEDs on his belt

And right then I knew he aspired to be 'felt

I saw on his face, all the fun and the frolicks

The sticker saying 'lower than a snakes bollix'

The 18 inch Kahns

The 8" sunvisor was somewhat symbolic

He was dressed in all red

From his head to his foot

The back of the sleigh was all covered in soot

I'd assume he was fond of planting the foot

Probably used to driving around town like all fielters do

And with every gear change

Comes the legendary 'boo'

For the Hyundai he left a small gift

An eBay chip, for that extra 'lift'

And for the Civic, which I think looked ****e

He bathed underneath with a sea of blue light

Now I'm not usually one to question ones taste

But a felty decision is one made in haste

He sprang to his sleigh

And flew out of sight

That omnipresent 'boo'

That sounds total ****e

Im sure I heard him say 'merry christmas to all, and to all a good night'

But I can't be sure

Felt spec Santa! Brilliant stuff Colm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭passatman86

Question,

Any idea what would cause a car to sound like the boo noise first thing in the morning for a minute then nothing more... Hasn't happened at all since

Car is a 2.0 diesel avensis 2010

No pigeon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 652 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Anybody see anything half decent motoring related in the sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

He said someone gave it to him after a European road trip. Nice, considering Defender prices.

Speaking of, at this time of year I'm noticing lots of them around. Hard to find one that's not modified in some way but it's usually bolt on stuff like steelies, winches, roof racks etc. They're supposed to be terrible to drive but yet I kinda want one....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I reviewed on ex Army one a few weeks back, reminded me of a David Brown tractor except worse driving position.

• Advertisement

They are great, as long as you don’t want to go over 30mph or talk to your passenger.

lots of people have all-terrain or off road tyres on them which make the noise and driving experience brutal on the road.

Advertisement