Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

And I apologize to all Connacht fans for my harshness over this year. I just want things to be better. In my opinion Adam Byrne will be incredible in 2023. Best wishes to you all over the festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know who coaches goalkicking in Connacht.

They need to find an answer at goalkicking time.

The URC website has Carty at 62% (they don't give kicking % for any other Connacht players) on the main stats page. I don't know if they have other players kicking percentages elsewhere.

A few years ago Carty was at 79% so he can do better. At the time Connacht didn't have a goal kicking coach. Richie Murphy (the Ireland skills coach at the time) came down once a week outside international windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Eric Elwood used to do it for the academy not sure if he does it with the seniors too

In truth there was a lot more than goal kicking at fault last night. And I know you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

79% isn’t really a great kicking percentage. Most top class international kickers are in around the 90th percentile and that entails touchline kicks. Granted, the Sportsground has massive wind influence every game but Carty regularly misses sitters from close to the posts. It’s not good enough and someone has to call it out.

• Advertisement

True but that doesn't mean its not a general fault that needs to be called out.

79% isn't great but its decent and it was his best season afaik.

Not everyone needs to be an international class kicker. Just a decent professional.

If he can get back to 79% its a massive improvement from 62% so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

79% was his best season? God that is terrible.

It was reported at the time that it was.

Its fine not to be a top level kicker but 62% is unacceptable. Get above 70% again and Connacht will be getting more points.

If not figure out who would be a better kicking option. If Hawkshaw is playing center I'd have him kicking ahead of Carty (he isn't a great kicker either mind you). Blade has done some kicking. I've no idea how good he is but let him fight for the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

From what I can tell, he has the worst percentage in the URC presently. Only 4 kickers below 70, with 2 of them on 69 and 68. Only the Zebre kicker and Carty are in the low 60’s with 63 and 62. Just for context there are currently 12 kickers above 79%, Carty’s best.

It’s amazing that it was only 6 months ago people were getting upset that he wasn’t in the Irish squad. Now there are calls for him to be replaced at Connacht. Rugby fans are a fickle lot.

Carty has always had these issues with his game. I can’t remember ever watching him play, where he didn’t miss touch at least once. His goal kicking even at its best was only ever average. He has issues with concentration. When he’s playing well in attack, it papers off over some of those cracks. At the moment Connacht as a team are very poor in attack. It’s hard to know how much of that is his fault and how much is coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Not making excuses for his kicking, and you could see how disappointed he was with the last the other eve (and the earlier miss was the killer, get that and the last kick is a little easier as the draw is secure). But I don't think Jack is at 100%. He seemed off in the match. He's always prone to the odd blunder but he got caught out with that wide pass that was intercepted (but did super to make the tackle), missed touch again and kicked badly out of hand in general, and the missed conversion. He didn't seem himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jack is not taking Connacht to the top level. He's just not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

When you say top level you mean what exactly.. Connacht are a mid table team. He is very inconsistent as many outhalves at his level are

Happy Christmas to all. While I provide my painful opinion it's only because I wish for better. It is never about a team member but it does come down to team member when the team is weakened by such a person.

Have a good Christmas folks and let's provide new ideas in 2023. At the end of the day this is a forum of opinions. I'm still standing behind my idea of Tom Daly at out half as my wish for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah Blade out, Daly playing SH too , then Bealham a liability, Hansen absolutely overhyped!

:D

But merry christmas :)

We have to be indulgent and not forget Friend and co have build for the future

if we consider a player is mature around 25 y-o, you've a full-team just about proving itself

Duggan/Tierney/Aungier/N.Murray/Dowling/Prendergast/SHL/Masterson/C.Reilly/C.Fitz/Hawkshaw/Bolton/Ralston/Kilgallen/McNulty

+ another full-team pushing behind

Vermeulen/DeBuitlear/Illo+Barrent/D.Murray/J.Forde/Booth/McCormack/D.Byrne/Devine+W.Reilly/West/C.Forde/J.Devine/O'Connor/Jennings/Mullins

ALL 30 players have between 9 and 15 years of carreer in front of them

if half of them turn good, we have a very decent base!

Post edited by connachta on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If you merge the teams, you see we have a (all U24) starting XV in the making

Duggan (strenghtful, modern LH)

Tierney (Emerging Ireland)

Illo (stabilize the scrum as barely 22 y.o TH only)

N.Murray (not far from a cap)

D.Murray (or Dowling)

Prendergast (already there)

SHL (absolutely promising, Heenan 2.0 without being injury prone)

Not sure for n°8, maybe D;Byrne, outmuscles many

One if not 2 of Devine/Gilvarry/C.Reilly/T.Reilly

Hawkshaw, maybe West

Forde (Emerging Ireland)

Ralston and/or Bolton stepping up to cover 13/14

Very promising O'Connor or Jennings

Kilgallen (already there)

Mullins (Emerging Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

how do you estimate Bryan Walsh?heis current Ireland U18 clubsand near7 feet tall lock in connacht.

he played on the match vs italy u 18 at november as a starter.

I expect him in near future resentative to ireland.

Is it too early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Any word/ confirmation that Peter Wilkins will be the main man next year, or will there be someone brought in.

Noel McNamara I believe is out of contract at sharks

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Disappointing performance against ulster, I suppose good for morale to chase the game down in the last 10 but probably papers over how second best we were for most of the game.

At this point of the season I'd say our set piece is good, our defence is decent but our maul defence, basic skills, attack and kicking game are really struggling.

Imo we are less than the sum of our parts.

We usually begin to hear some contract talk around now, what additions will be required to step it up to HC participants next year?

What positions do we need to add to?

Imo it's 15, 10 and 8 with Joyce joining for 2nd row we should be good there.

I'd be interested in JJ Hanrahan for 10. No idea for 15 and 8

release TOH Fitz and Wootton, trust O'Connor and Mullins and put big money on 1 back-3 signing

release Booth and Masterson, trust D.Byrne and put big money on 1 back-row signing

2 less senior leaving money for high quality signings, relying a bit more on Acaedmy crop

I'm always more interested in who might be good to bring in as opposed to who might go. The coaches know who to let go and most of us can hazard a decent guess based on game time, age, players ahead etc who might be in the maybe not zone.

I'm surprised to see Fitzgerald on your list, as a squad filler he's done a great job this year. He may never be a first choice but he's a solid 3rd choice 10 and back up 23 or 15 with good kicking ability.

I think we can find a better (even NIQ as we have rooms) 10/15, and have expections on Mullins,

and he if leaves, maybe the new cover would be more a pure back-3 with Hawkshaw Forde and West covering 10

Porch is a priority to re-sign, even not perfect, way better then the 3 I quoted IMO

If you are looking to sign a new 10 or 15 (let alone both) the role for Fitzgerald narrows. He goes from solid 3rd choice 10 to too expensive 4th choice 10.

If theres a signing at 10 and Fitzgerald's contract is up I think Fitzgerald might be in the same position Ronan O'Loughlin was in Leinster last summer. He will be offered a contract that doesn't meet his value and will choose to move on.

If theres not a signing at 10 it makes sense to keep him.

Conor Fitz gets a lot of grief, some of it warranted but, he's a back up. Carty is the supposed "star", who's incredibly average.

Certainly hasn't had a great year alright but is highly unlikely to be going anywhere as captain and starting 10. I'd like to see us bring in someone who can challenge not someone who can support. Think we didn't succeed with that this year. We ended up with lots of 12's

Forde, Hawkshaw, Daly all looking like good 12's but none of putting pressure on 10 even with Jack struggling a bit.

By the way I think Jack is playing pretty well defensively and in terms of distribution but his kicking in play and from the tee is way off.

I wonder if that was the intention.

Find a new 12 who has experience playing 10 and get someone to goal kick beside Carty.

It doesn't seem to have worked out that way though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hansen was a tee kicker for the brumbies.

Had he ever taken one for Connacht?

Advertisement