Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overtaking fairytale

• 20-12-2022 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

A colleague of mine is adamant that it's illegal to overtake with an LHD car here (and in the UK), and likewise with an RHD car on the continent. Seems like a fairytale to me, I had never heard of such a rule, also I can't find anything along those lines when googling it. Anyone any thoughts about it?

Of course care must be taken, always with overtaking, but even more so in a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side for the country. To the point that sometimes I indeed decide against it in my LHD car. And there's always the generic rule: thou shall not drive dangerously.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Total nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

Well i do know that the mclaren f1 with its seat located in the middle cant overtake in any country because of this issue .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Same for all cyclists, motorcyclists and 99% of tractors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I've spend about 6 months in Ireland this year driving LHD car, and I used to overtake as normal (when visibility allowed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Not illegal. But you had better have a very very good look around. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do the standard LHD trick with first going further into the ditch to see out past the fella you are trying to overtake before you veer out over the white line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You should only undertake in a LHD car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would it not be safer overtaking in a LHD car in Ireland and a RHD in Europe as you are sitting closer to the car you are overtaking.

Never knew that about them. Bastards still put the gear stick on the wrong side too.

edit: Just thinking, considering the car it's most likely an automatic so side wouldn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

According to the always reliable Wikipedia it's a manual. Wouldn't expect any different in that era, by the way.

From a British car manufacturer you'd expect the stick to be on the other side, I agree. Maybe from a racing perspective it makes more sense to have it to the right of the driver? Or did they have a stroke of marketing genius and were they thinking of selling more of those cars in countries where LHD is the norm?

Thanks everyone by the way for replying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Paddle shift?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

@My battery is shagged take a 24hr ban. Not having this sort of replies across multiple posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think the main issue here is the car trying to overtake having the steering wheel on the wrong side for the country it'd in so the driver can mot easily see ahead of that car to make sure there is not traffic coming the other way. Even if they drive further back behind the car they are trying to pass they still have it harder than a car with the steering wheel in the right side for the country it is in and have to drive right over on the wrong side of the road too see before catching up and passing the other car or vehicle.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I realised that yesterday after this kind gentleman mentioned it who is now banned and posts removed.

Advertisement