Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Wife got one at the weekend and is already thinking of sending it back due to overheating issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

Probably not unexpected initially - but if it was still that way in a week or two I would certainly hit them up for a replacement or refund.

From a thread on the Pixel Help website:

The 6a will tend to run hotter than the older models, but it will also use more power while it is loading updates for a few days. Ambient temperature will also have a significant impact.

The 6a is a 5G device. It needs to be properly provisioned by your cellular company so that it is not unnecessarily searching for non-existent 5G connections. Have you contacted them to see if you need a new SIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭archfi

Have to say, when I bought it just over a week ago it was hottish at some stages the first day or so.

It's been fine since.

Thanks for the tip about turning off/not searching for 5G when it's not needed. I'm with goMo (Eir) so no 5G for me!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Don't suppose anyone upgraded from a Redmi Note 8T to the 6a?

Would I notice a massive difference in the camera to make it worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Depends how much you are into Photography. The 8T lacks OIS. I would say yes big difference if you like your photos.

For me OIS and the Google software makes a vast difference. You'll get vastly fewer bad photos with the Pixel. It will pull amazing out amazing photos in marginal light, but sometimes they look too good. Not fake but like you got them out of glossy magazine. Its rarely takes a bad photo.

We have also have a Xiaomi 10T Pro which has a much better camera than a 8T. It as a 108 MP OIS camera, and an older pixel mostly takes better photos on a par or better. But the 10T Pro can hold its own, and even better than our pixel at times. ON a par but different

Much prefer stock android over Miui though. Miui is ok. Its just a preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume they'll fix the 6a overheating with an update. Sounds like its poorly optimized at the moment. Which isn't that surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Thanks for the reply.

My main interest in photography would be just when out walking the hills and taking pics on the go of this, that and the other. Point and shoot. I have been really enjoying that and suppose I am just tinkering with the idea of a little step up maybe.

With the 8T, I do use it with Open Camera and trying out various GCam mods and i get decent pics out of it. Having said that, I never took pics out of a top notch camera either, so what you say about OIS wouldn’t have been in my thoughts looking at different phones as I didn’t know about it. With the 6a available at a decent price, it had me thinking about changing over to it as it seems to get great reviews for the camera.

This reviewer has the 6a camera ahead of the 6.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-phone-cameras,review-2272.html

I had the Redmi Note 5 before this one and I probably would like to go to stock Android next but I might just hang on for a while and see what happens regards price drops with them all down the line.

I was also thinking of getting a used Sony RX100 iii compact camera and wonder if the likes of that be superior to the likes of the 6a?. Then it’s a case of spending around the same on a used camera or a new phone with more everyday use.

I just need to get a hold of a decent phone and camera and compare them to what I have now and see what kind of quality I can get within reason if i decide to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

This reviewer has the 6a camera ahead of the 6.

Only when price is part of the consideration.

The specs of the 6 camera are superior to the 6a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Anyone have this phone with Vodafone that could confirm if Wifi calling works or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

WiFi calling works for me on Vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

Really like the phone so far, have it just under 4 weeks.

But no NFC shortcut is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

Does it come unlocked from Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

Nice one thanks

Can i just go in store and buy or do i have to buy sim card, cheapest sim deal is 20 euro?

Ordered on line had to chose a plan , chose 20euro plan but wasnt charged for the sim card, was just charged for the phone 349.99, delivery within 3 working days......hopefully 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone get the pixel ear buds with this? Thoughts?

Ordered from vodafone, phone was unlocked but no ear buds with it. Find the battery great, now im not a heavy user, i watch youtube on my breaks in work, have about 50% left after 12 hour night shift. 8pm to 8 am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Guys how are ye finding the phone since purchase? All good? Thinking of geting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

I really like them, sound quality is good, nothing special, but good. The connectivity is great on them in terms of how quickly they respond to devices and link up. I had a set of xiaomi buds which you could faff about with for almost a minute sometimes to get them to go to the right device, but these are seamless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

It's a great phone, I got it about 2 months ago, came from a Xiaomi Mi9 which was still lightning quick and working perfect, just the battery was letting me down. I replaced the battery but it only extended the life for a few months before that started giving up too.

The only complaint with the phone is the fingerprint scanner, it works most of the time but there are some days where it just doesn't play ball. That bugged me for about a week, but now muscle memory kicked in for that and I just have a pattern to draw when it doesn't work. The camera is excellent, way better than you would expect from the mid-range price. Battery life is excellent, so good I keep forgetting to charge it at night etc and end up leaving the house with 30-40% in the mornings, but no issue as I know it will last until that evening anyway.

Same here with the fingerprint scanner other than thatbitsba great phone, battery life, performance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

Would like the 6A , but I'd be a bit sore buying when I see its 299 dollars in the US. Maybe Google will have to drop price here also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Gone back up now, €360 in Argos if you can find stock anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

See it on the argos site €360 , curry's €359 ,hard to buy directly off Google now @459

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Davexirl

It has gone down to €399 off Google store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

€360 at Argos, although not a tonne of stock around.

Advertisement