Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

Cork to Alghero now open for bookings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Tremendous. And also going from March to end of October. Last year the route was June to start of September.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Twice weekly Cork-Treviso loaded into the FR booking system this morning as per SeanM1997 on Twitter

Odd but must be a replacement for Venice.

Yes. Probably cheaper for Ryanair but can still be described as “Venice”. Treviso itself is a lovely place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Venice is a much better route to have than Treviso imo

• Advertisement

I’d probably agree with that but having Treviso is better than cutting flights to that region (I thought that was what was going to happen!)

Post edited by revelman on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Newcastle route dropped from 26th March being replaced by Shannon-Newcastle as per Newcastle Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Aer Lingua Cork to Faro going to 6 times per week peak season. Cant see any other details for cork

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/aer-lingus-announces-three-new-sun-holiday-routes-from-dublin-airport-for-2023-42213553.html

Aer Lingus is increasing its peak summer capacity to Malaga and Faro from both Cork and Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well, Newcastle from Cork didn't work for too long.

I have just seen that Seville and La Rochelle have been added to Ryanair booking engine from Cork

Record summer schedule as Ryanair announces five new routes from Cork Airport 

Airline announced new services to La Rochelle, Rome, Seville, Venice Treviso and East Midlands and increased weekly frequencies on 11 routes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

So basically we lose Newcastle and Venice to be replaced with the far inferior East Midlands and Treviso.

La Rochelle, Rome and Seville will be interesting though.

Shannon Porto was launched yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not surprised to see Newcastle gone, I mean how attractive is it as a holiday destination? Is there some hidden market I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I’m a bit past clubbing, but it used to have a hopping nightlife there, including a comedy scene.

Newcastle is a ship building and repair hub too, and Cork has the largest natural port in the northern hemisphere, so there are links there with our naval colleges and port activities.

It has a biotech research village, there are a fair few bio-pharmaceuticals in Cork.

It’s usefully located for other destinations you can’t easily reach from cork. From Newcastle it’s a shortish spin south to Leeds (under 2hrs) or similar north to Edinburgh.

I think it’s a shame if any route is dropped tbh. Just disconnects Cork even more.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I went to Newcastle this year and really like it. Thought it was a fine town. We went to a gig, did some shopping and had some nice dinners. Flights and hotel were cheap enough. We got into town early on Friday afternoon and the place was already hopping. My going out days are largely behind me now as well but it made me wish I had a few nights out there when I was younger. Newcastle Airport even had a train into the city centre so it was very convenient. We had thought of going back some time next year for another visit but that look like it's off the cards now.

• Advertisement

• I think it's a bit of a stretch tbh. I'm not sure there's that big a demand for the far NE of England, particularly these days. I'm sure it's a nice enough city, but it's not really a part of the world most Irish people would think of as a weekend destination and I'm not really sure that there's all that much of a connection between the two places.

Leeds-Bradford would be possibly more useful in terms of accessing a bigger swathe of the NE of England and Yorkshire generally.

You have clearly never been to Newcastle! Very vibrant city. One of the best looking city centres in England. Several art galleries and a major classical concert hall (offers much more than Cork does on the cultural front). I’m not even mentioning it’s location. Northumberland (the least populated county in England) is on its doorstep to the North. Yorkshire moors to the south. And the Lake District to the west.

There was a direct flight between Cork and Newcastle for many years. Shame to lose it to Shannon.

• Still doesn’t necessarily translate into people going there.

Unfortunately for the North of an England, and I say this as someone with a lot of relatives in Yorkshire, the marketing is wrecked by Londoners endless commentary about ‘The Grim North’

Irish would be tourists absorb a lot of nonsense about northern England that is perpetuated by stereotypes that keep bubbling through British media snarky comments and that’s a huge part of making it very difficult to explain that there’s actually rather cool and interesting stuff to visit over there. We very much see England though a London centric TV camera lens.

It’s for a different thread, but cities like Newcastle and even more so Hull have marketing challenges because of that. They get this totally undeserved northern bashing on uk television and people from those places even lean into to the stereotypes in comedy.

Even places like York is absolutely stunning, and well marketed, yet who ever goes there from here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I haven't, hence me asking the above question.

Anyway clearly no one is using the flight as the tickets are dirt cheap, even for new years eve. It's still a shame to lose a flight from Cork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

It's hard for us outside the business to know who makes up the passengers on flights and what their reasons for travel are. For Newcastle, I'd guess it was mostly visiting friends and relatives, followed by business and then holiday.

Just out of interest though, are weekend citybreaks a thing people are doing now again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

I used to do them, but with costs looking like they do at the moment, it's definitely out of the question.

Regarding the Newcastle route, one thing worth keeping in mind is that over the last decade or so, three airlines have tried to make it work, Jet2, Aer Lingus Regional and now Ryanair, so there must be something in the statistics that make the route attractive for airlines.

I personally think that the biggest issue however is he population here in Cork. They raise a holy hell on social media every time the airport is so much as mentioned in the news, wail about how DAA is throttling the airport, demand route to every airport, air base and gravel strip between here and the Ural Mountains and then, when a much asked for route is started, dig out every excuse under the sun to NOT use that route and STILL drive to Dublin Airport whilst whining to anyone who's listening, or cannot escape in time, how horribly inconvenient everything is!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• The city break thing is definitely there but probably more aimed at continental Europe as you want to go somewhere a bit less familiar, maybe a properly big metropolis with seriously interesting cultural and architectural options or possibly with better weather too.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

I just don’t get how it couldn’t work from Cork for more than 6 months before being lost to Shannon with a lower population base and at a higher frequency than seen at Cork. Any indication of what predicted passenger numbers are for 2023?

• I'd assume they just got a cheaper deal from Shannon and it's an extremely marginal route.

• Advertisement

I think this is a very good point. Speaking to people over Christmas, I was stunned how many people still travel to Dublin for flights that are available from Cork. I was talking to one member of the extended family who is going to Edinburgh for New Year’s Eve. He is flying from Dublin! It was €40 cheaper than Cork.

Advertisement