Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

While our CMO is again desperately shouting into the abyss of her few thousand Twitter followers to wear masks in public, The UK have stopped bothering to track the R number now as cases fall.

Who’d have imagined cases would fall naturally..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The CMO is not doing that because of covid. There are many respiratory viruses raging through the country at the moment. This was expected and happens every year. Yet there was no attempt to prepare the health service for this. Any talk of masks is to bail out incompetence and intentional lack of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

If one is going for a job interview, is it acceptable to still wear a mask, refuse a handshake and stay at least 2 meters away from any possible future employers? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I recognise a significant number of posters from the anti-mask, anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine and "it's all a conspiracy" threads, so I'm not surprised at all to see comparisons drawn.

With our vaccines, our herd immunity, accumulated knowledge of the virus, techniques for treating severe cases, multiple variants and hindsight it's easy to reach back in time and nitpick.

However in 2020, we didn't have vaccines, we didn't have magic knowledge of the virus, people were dying, it was spreading rapidly, ergo countries all over the world independently decided to take measures to reduce the spread of the virus (to reduce the number of people dying from it) and also to stop national health systems from being overrun. These decisions with made with an open discussion of impacts, such as economic and social.

I had issues with certain lockdown measures, some made on a national level didn't make sense in certain isolated situations, but I understood why they were made. A majority of the public did.

There's a portion of people using this thread to have a go at certain measures they didn't like or agree with. Okay. There's another group with a very obvious agenda, who are having a go at measures for other reasons.

Again, we had masks, social distancing and lockdowns during the 1918 flu epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Herd immunity???? Is that a thing now???

I recognize that people will have different interpretations on events too.

I know many of you believe the anti-science approach was justified, but unfortunately, there is no evidence that backs it up, the people who were regarded as experts (up to March 2020) have been proven correct.

Quarantining healthy people, locking society down, was an incredibly high risk tactic that now on reflection, by any measure, was a disaster, ignoring all other more serious illnesses is already costing people's lives. The cost of those extreme actions are being felt by people who have lost jobs, suffered mental health issues, struggling with inflation, etc, and now, it seems, with our excess death rates at about 15% above normal, people will lose loved ones in greater numbers than what we witnessed in 2020/21.

Shame really, all we needed to do was follow the science!!

Comparing Covid to the Spanish flu is ridiculous. Not a morsel of data exists that would suggest a meaningful comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

I would not have any issues with that at all. It is a personal matter imo.

I interviewed probably 15 people this past year and 2 people came in with their masks on. They removed the masks before the interviews started though.

An overly cautious approach may be perceived by some as an indication of a poor health and projected into the future as a low work attendance.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

If it wasn’t for McConkeys modelling, our CMO drive to implemented all those crucial measures, and the vaccine program that allowed the government to control the virus, you would probably not be around now to take the p1ss. Come on lads, you have to humbly admit it.;)

On a more serious note covid is a nonissue at this point. Not sure why it is still getting the attention. It cannot be for health and medical reasons. I would imagine there are at least 10 more important diseases that our inefficient healthcare system should be making themselves busy with.

The media should switch their attention to the excess deaths and explain were they are coming from.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

She should have over 200k followers but Tony took this old Twitter followers with him when he left the job and she had to start from scratch.

I think most people understood the reasons for the nuclear lockdown in 2020.

The problem is that we had no plan afterwards. We had a long and drawn out reopening plan that eventually stalled before Tony ordered us back into a 6 week circuit breaker lockdown that didn't work.

Then because things got a bit busy at Christmas we **** the bed and had a 6 month lockdown.

And even with almost the entire country vaccinated there was no end in sight for restrictions until Omicron saved us.

We had no ideas other than lockdowns which had less and less public support as time went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I had noticed hospital figures began dropping significantly over 2 days s. I did expect them to rise a bit on xmas day and Stephen’s day due to less discharges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"Most" got the Omicron variant which didn't happen by accident. Much as you like to think it did. Vaccines are going to make hospitalisation much less likely. Which isn't accidental either.

The unvaccinated are still over represented in those in hospital due to Covid. That is not accidental either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

They are the highest since mid June, the numbers jumped today and will likely continue to do so.

I avoided it for three years and am suffering with constant vertigo since I got it last month and feeling like i've aged 20 years. I can only use my computer or phone for about 10 minutes at a time or I start to feel extremely nauseous and dizzy. I'm masking up everywhere as last thing i need is RSV or something else on top of this. Congratulations if you don't have after effects, next time you might not be as lucky.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

It still all comes back to the same situation, a shambles of health service that can't cope during winter when its own staff become sick and take time away from work. Our overall population has increased yet I don't see new hospitals being built. Over paid middle and upper management blaming the public when they can't get their own houses in order.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

No, talk of masks is just asking people to take a simple, basic measure to protect themselves and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Hospital and GP capacity is certainly an issue.

But countries with world leading hospital systems also had capacity problems with COVID.

But for sure we have systemic problems in our health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No, talk of masks is due to people wanting to force masks on to the rest of us just to be seen to be doing something, as well as covering for the ineptitude of the health service.

They knew respiratory diseases would pick up once winter hit and things finally got back to normal, yet they still weren't prepared.

I guess two years of abuse, brow beating, restrictions and shaming wasn't enough to "correct" human behaviour. Imagine that. There were no masks before covid, and there are no masks after.

I was hacking up a lung before Christmas, and I'd rather be sick for a week or so than wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The covid pandemic stage is coming to an end. Covid isn’t. Covid is here to stay. There will always be hospitalisations due to covid, flu’s etc every winter. Hospitals for covid certainly won’t be hitting 1600 plus like it did earlier on in the year. I will bet we are close to the peak. The holiday period will see a bit of a jump in numbers. There are definitely less discharges. The next week or two will tell. Deaths worldwide are a fifth of what they were a year ago.

I flew to the USA yesterday. Airports were busy and buzzing with planes full of people old and young.. mask wearing practically non existent. People have moved on with their lives except for the usual doomers on the internet.

Hopefully your long term symptoms do subside soon. Due to my work I literally know thousands of people who have had covid old and young and all have fully recovered. Everyone i know ( except for me) has had covid including family members my brother and sister and all their kids and friends. They are all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

That's all good you preferring to be sick than wear a mask. The real question is did you stay home while sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There seems to be a huge amount of people sick this Xmas. So many bugs going around including Covid. Time to get our immunity up to speed again after all the isolation.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

If you'd prefer to be sick than wear a mask, then all I can say is that you have a very strange sense of priorities ( to say what I really feel would be rude).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

they most definitely care in spain. folks are are still wearing masks on public transport. just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I think it might have something to do with people being forced to wear masks on public transport in Spain rather than ‘caring’, no mask no entry.

You won’t see masks being worn anywhere else other than public transport in Spain because no one ‘cares’.

Mandatory masks on PT continues until March 2023.

We all get sick, it's good for your immune system to fight these things off.

As mentioned, COVID will be here forever.

I'd also rather get sick every now and then than wear a mask and get sick anyways.

Remember, over 25K cases a day with a mask mandate in place so it's not like they're going to stop you getting a respiratory illness

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is medical misinformation to state this without qualification.

There's no need for an adult to get sick every year.

The fact that you can get re-infected with viruses, flus, colds etc again and again pre-covid shows this.

Masks reduce the spread of respiratory illnesses, this is strawmanning again . They don't stop the spread 100%. They reduce the viral load exposed then in light of the below that is 'exposure' enough needed.

"Older people should avoid getting repeated infections.”

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Of course masks don't stop the spread 100%. In fact, with a mask mandate in place and 25K cases a day last year, it would be a tiny percentage if they did anything at all.

This is backed up by the global data. Some countries implemented mask mandates and had no drop in cases. Others removed masks and had no increase.

At this stage, it's up to the hospitals to sort out the annual winter mess. Even the government don't want to go down the mandatory mask route because they know it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Masks are useful when there is low levels of virus in the community. Once the community is overrun with virus and people are being exposed ten times a day, the impact of masks goes way down. Masks need to be used in conjunction with a level five lockdown to make a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nobody ever said they would stop the spread 100%.

Anyone denying that masks help slow and reduce the spread of respiratory viruses is either an absolute moron or saying things they know to be untrue just to try to win an argument on the internet. There is no third option.

How much do they reduce the spread by though?

Are we talking public transport here or also retail, hospitality and other environments? Would the masks be permanent or winter only? On what date would it be safe to take them off?

Considering everything has been grand without restrictions or masks, is it really worthwhile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And yet when we dropped the mask mandate earlier this year 95% of us stopped wearing them overnight, so either 95% of us are morons, or the remaining 5% are...why didn't our government provide public bins for us to dispose of our covid soaked masks do you think?

Advertisement