Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

No idea. Whatever he decided, hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Strand1970

Healy would be a great addition to connacht. He would defo slot in as 2nd OH and maybe start quite a few games. Am I correct in saying no province can out bid munster's offer? So if Healy stays in Ireland its based on game time not money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just musing about the number of players missing from today’s 23,

Could field this team,

Loughman, Buckley, Archer,

Ahern, Snyman,

Wycherley, O’Sullivan, Hodnett

Cronin, Healy,

Zebo, Farrell, Fekitoa, Conway

Haley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That the theory but there's been a few instances where the rule was put aside when interest from outside of Ireland knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Small pet peeve - if they're going to play Zombie as teams run onto the pitch, don't skip straight to the chorus. Play it from the beginning. Let the song eerily build as it was originally intended.

It's very interesting to see all the names listed out like that. I'd argue at this stage that Frisch is ahead of both Fekitoa and Farrell, Conway and Nash are neck and neck, and that Zebo doesn't get into a full strength side. So really only Haley, Hodnett and (hypothetically) Snyman are the only nailed on starters that jump out at me. And even having said that, Hodnett is a horses for courses kinda guy. The depth is nonetheless very encouraging though.

Loughman as well, imo. I think he’s jumped ahead of Kilcoyne.

Yeah, true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

A very soft ten minute period and a lack of Furlong/Sheehan/Kelleher/Porter style front-rows killed us. Of all the Munster front rows, I think right now Salanoa is the only one capable of reaching that quality (Ryan great in his own way though; had Porter twisted all sorts of ways in the scrums).

Nash is the breakout players of this season.

Frisch handy again, just such a silky smooth ball player.

Daly looked very tidy too - I think he plays a lot better at 15 than wing; he's a little unlucky that Haley's been operating at such a high level for so long.

Casey changed the game when he came on.

Back five not lacking in effort.

Coombes has to be back in the Irish squad for the 6N. He's had an immense run of form since being released to play in the SA A game in PUC

Two soft tries given away

and Crowley missing touch

Apart from that Munster were the better team

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was the second 5m penalty correctly awarded? I thought there was a fair jackal in place?

The problem is when Leinster add back in Furlong, Ryan, Doris and Van der Flier to their pack Munster would have no answer, based on that showing. Perhaps Snyman and Loughman could make a difference. Maybe Hodnett is needed for balance in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I think the issue with the frontrow is its hard to produce those big, power frontrow specimens that you need at the highest level. We have produced good frontrow forwards in the past for sure. But even in our hey days, the likes of Marcus Horan, Jerry Flannery, John Hayes, etc were very good players no doubt, but not big powerful ball carriers around the field. Horan and Flannery in particular were mobile frontrow forwards. I would say in the last 20 years the only big frontrow units we produced would be the likes of Tony Buckley and Denis Fogarty, maybe you can say Kilcoyne moreso in the way he plays, but he is not a big guy.

I think Salanoa is coming on well under the radar and I'm excited to see what he can do with presumely more gametime when Ryan departs. Loughman and Scannell are solid, Barron has shown nice flashes in the loose. But we need more. No doubt a signing will be needed next season, but hopefully though we can find/produce more Irish qualified players.

I think the team is going in the right direction overall though and the academy is producing more players than it did ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭durthacht

Carbery missed a fairly straightforward penalty too.

I thought they were two easily matched teams and either could claim to be the better team on the day, but for me it was an even contest.

Coombes can't be relied on for ALL the carrying. And really, since De Allende's departure, there's nobody else offering anything even close to that level of penetrative threat off the first phase. Top defenses like Leinster can spread and the wider game will stall. Salanoa, to be fair, had one of the most impressive carries of the night when he came on. Might be something to work with there.

That said, are Munster better than they were 6 months ago? Unquestionably yes.

Is there scope to improve even further before any new signings come in? I'd argue also yes.

Crowley will get better with more top quality game experience. Earls will get sharper after returning from the layoff. Edogbo, Ahern, Haley, Loughmann and Hodnett will come back. One of Farrell or Fekitoa may still come back in and establish themselves as a starter. Snyman might play again. Casey seems to be on a continuously positive trajectory. Joey had a blip tonight but has otherwise been in form recently, and will hopefully recapture that (for e.g., did we score again after he went off?).

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Healy needs to be very careful if he's carefully considering Scotland. He's not a local schoolboy so will get tossed on the scrap heap quickly enough. He also won't get the plethora of excuses made for him.

Jaco van der Walt is currently experiencing that as he watches Blair Kinghorn fall over himself in the 10 jersey weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I think while Crowley and Frisch individually played well, I don't think them as a centre partnership works. The first phase strike moves were a mess tonight, it was like Munster were trying to be too finesse because we don't have a carrier in midfield that can win collisions. It was noticable that the only strike move that worked was the Casey/Nash lineout move on the lead up to the 3rd try. I'd love to see if Fekitoa can play in Belfast next week. As you said, Farrell is a big loss too.

Carrying power is definitely the biggest weakness in this team, stemming from mostly the front row and midfield offering little in this department. Leinster were happy enough to give us the ball around halfway and defend. Casey can help a bit in bringing more tempo and pace to the attack, but we need more units that can drive through the gainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would try Daly at 12. I believe he's got the skills for it. Big powerful lad too.

• Advertisement

I had hoped to get to watch the game before posting but I'm back at work tomorrow so may not get to see it before the weekend.

I haven't read too much on the game either so my thoughts are more or less based on the score and timeline of the scores. Seems to me we really lost that game while Leinster were down to 14 and even after missing the conversion to win it neither team scored in the final 15 mins. Had we any opportunity to try a drop goal in that period, they almost seem to be a thing of the past.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nope. You pretty much spent the last ten minutes in your own half, and the last five in your own 22.

Leinster turned on the "control" button in the second half after going up to 20

Odd that Leinster didn't try to get one so, a one or two point lead is the worst lead with 15 mins left on the clock, no matter what control button you have

• Registered Users Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Leinster just killed the game in the last 13 minutes. Munster won a penalty on their own 10m line after 66 minutes. Crowley missed touch and Munster never got out of their half again.

Leinster went into auto pilot mode and strangled proceedings. They had one or two chances to take points but declined. Late on they had a straightforward penalty but elected to go to the corner to try and kill the game entirely as well as the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They did try but Munster defended very well. Leinster weren’t taking many risks though, a lot of low percentage plays in attack. Keeping possession while knocking on the door.

The way the game was going, I think it was the right call to retain a 1 point lead with Munster stuck in their 22, rather than trying a drop goal, tbh.

Best case scenario with the latter is a 4 point lead, Munster go long from kick off and even with a good clearance, we’d have had a platform to attack from close to half-way.

Leinster committed almost nobody to the breakdown after 70 mins, fanned out and completely smothered us.

Loads of sealing off at the end when they were in possession themselves, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’m not sure Munster can complain about sealing off in that game. Both sides were at it because Busby just didn’t officiate the breakdown well at all. It was a complete mess all game and both sides took advantage. But for me it definitely was partly responsible for the lack of back line effectiveness for both sides.

I’m not sure Munster can complain about sealing off in that game.

It’s the Munster thread, so I can and will. ;)

The trope has often been repeated in here (and often made a mess of this thread) that Munster fans complain about the ref but the majority of complaints in the match thread were from Leinster fans.

You’re right tho, it was definitely a mess for both sides.

Edit: just to be clear, I don’t think either set of fans are generally worse than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hey, I’ll have you know we’re better at identifying refereeing issues than you. I mean, no, wait….

• Advertisement

23 points

8 games to play

Ulster (A)

Lions (H)

Benetton (A)

Ospreys (H)

Scarlets (H)

Glasgow (H)

Stormers (A)

Sharks (A)

You can more or less split that into Ulster (A), and the 2 games in SA.

Then 5 winnable games.

I reckon 50 points will get a QF spot, with closer to 60 likely getting a home QF.

The latter pretty much requires a win in Belfast, then an epic run of BP wins up to the SA tour. Then at least one win in SA, and ideally a BP or 2 in the other. Very unlikely (but stranger things have happened).

An away QF spot is still on though. I am confident in how this team is playing, and believe it's possible to get 20 points from those 5 winnable games. Even three 5-pointers, a 4-pointer and an LBP would do it. That'd leave only a single win and maybe a BP or two needed between Belfast and 2 SA games to reach 50.

A win on Friday would be a lovely start, either way!

Advertisement