Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying second property for investment purposes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You can deduct your mortgage interest and other allowable expenses to reduce your tax bill FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mortgage interest is only allowable on PPR, not on investment properties. And unless you buy a wreck, which is a whole different ball game, expenses won't be enough to make a noticeable dent in your tax bill. It will be in or around 50% of your rent.

OP, you'd be tying a lot of money (over half your savings) up in a potentially very illiquid asset, depending on what happens in the next few years.

If you will definitely want/need to move in the near future, I personally would be finding a far more flexible home for my savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,532 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It should be the same as any other income. Just because a person decides to use it to pay for a capital asset in no way implies that it should be tax deductive. No more than a PAYE taxpayer should be able to receive their 100k annual bonus tax free because they want to use it to put an extension onto the back of their house.

When the the asset is sold, the seller is assessed on CGT only on the excess above the price they paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not sure why you quoted me, as that's what I was saying?!

Sorry, I was adding to yours, not contradicting you.

I edited it there to use "they" rather than the general "you".

Take that Enoch Burke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That's not correct. Can you show where it states that mortgage interest is only allowable on PPR?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/rental-income/irish-rental-income/what-expenses-are-allowed.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

It's very common.

You are thinking from an Irish person perspective, changing their domicile.

But it is very common for a person coming here from another state and maintaining a connection to home.

It is not a tax dodge, just is not liable to Irish tax, taxed in their home country.

Are you getting the remittance basis confused with the domicile levy?

Put it this way, a Polish person coming here for work, becomes resident, becomes Ord resident, will still not pay any Irish tax on rental income earned in Poland, once the income is not remitted here. They will be liable to Polish income tax.

Look all for learning, but if you don't understand something, be careful how you answer, your answer was designed to be demeaning, in light of the above you might improve your attitude.

The original post I responded to was about someone claiming you could be simultaneously resident, ordinarily resident, but non-domiciled. (The person referred to in the OP is implied to be an Irish person btw, but how and ever)

As I pointed out on page 1 of the thread, and provided a link from revenue.ie you must be non-ordinarily resident for your remittance basis.

Your post above is incorrect.

QED.

Consider improving your own attitude.

Well there you go, I warned you, and you've done it again.

You didn't find the use of the word "May" suspect at all? 😂😂😂😂

• Advertisement

Post edited by Donald Trump on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP have you actually considered investing abroad? If not maybe the thread could cease to be derailed?

😂

Ah go on, I'll help you a little.

Revenue produce tax and duty manuals covering nearly the entire finance act, at a minimum, read the relevant one.

I don't care anymore. Has nothing to do with the OP

I don't care. Do yourself a favour and read the document. It is of no relevance to the OP who doesn't even want to invest abroad.

If they do, they will be liable for tax on the income. Despite your false "advice". Which, if followed, would amount to them breaking the law. Here and probably abroad too.

what’s with the refusal to admit you were wrong about something which you have clearly been proven to have been, I assume you are human? You keep moving the goal posts to save face but to be honest it’s not reflecting great on you and you attitude isn’t ideal. Will proceed with caution going forward when I see your posts

I am not wrong. The advice the other poster is giving and implying is that the OP can buy a house in Spain, tell the Revenue that even though they are Irish, living here and no intention of going anywhere, that they've decided to change their domicile and not have to pay any tax in Ireland, or any tax in Spain on any rental income from it.

Now when it is pointed out to certain posters that that is incorrect, they go on about a Polish person coming to Ireland and paying their tax in Poland. That is where the goalposts are being shifted. I shifted nothing. The OP is not a Polish person coming here temporarily. They are an Irish person who is living here and has their house here paid off and who has no interest in buying abroad.

The OP cannot just change their domicile like that. They could change their tax residency immediately (with split year treatment as I said). But they would have to actually leave to do that.

Unless you think that the OP can buy a house in Spain and not pay any tax anywhere on the income as long as they don't transfer it to Ireland? Are you saying that too? Because if you are, then you are also wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

He consistantly does it across the platform so it's no surprise.

It has completely derailed the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I wouldnt touch it, and im a small landlord.

Tax makes it unprofitable and the wrong tenant makes it a complete nightmare.

I would look at investing a portion of that money. Plenty of places to put it that should give a hassle free return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It was this statement of yours Mr Trump!

If you are tax resident then you will be tax resident and have to pay tax on your income. Your domicile won't matter.

income arising outside Ireland to an Irish resident non-domiciled person will often not be subject to tax anywhere!

Re your statement that “I don't think we have the exact same loopholes here as the UK does”, ours are much broader (although I would not describe them as loopholes) as our situation is exactly the same as existed in the U.K. before the rules were successively tightenened up there. Domicile is a common law concept rather than a creation of statute. The most common advice given to a person seeking a domicile of choice rather than retaining their origin is to acquire a foreign grave! Clearly a person who never left the country and who has no concrete plans to do so would find it very difficult to acquire a foreign domicile. Spending a significant amount of time at a particular foreign residence with an intention to ultimately end up there would be a minimum requirement.

Now sneaky sneaky, trying to edit your posts. All can see the sarkey reply you made as I quoted it, your new post is quite a different post now that you realise you were wrong (and others can now see)...

You were wrong because you played the asshole, pretending to be an expert and you came unstuck.

I have no respect for you, if you had any self respect you would disappear.

Just to summarise for you again what you did:

1. You made asshole remarks.

2. You didn't know what the remiitance basis was, you instead talked about domicile levy and changing domicile.

3. I gave a circumstance where the OP would not be required to pay Irish tax on foreign rental income. You should have accepted this is something you did not have a contribution on. That was relevant to the OP. You did not heed my warnings and continued to be an asshole. This must be very embrassing for you.

4. You are now still not understanding that the OP may not have an Irish Domicile and regardless, will be required to pay tax in Spain/wherever on the rental income. There was no mention of domicile in the OP, just that they considered there would be no Irish tax payable.

5. Of course if the OP is Irish domiciled, they can confirm this themselves. In which case the remittance basis does not apply. But you are still an asshole for substituting knowledge with google.

Anyway, think there are a lot of people delighted to see you shown up like this, it is throughly deserved.

Read your own document genius. I already advised you to do this before making a show of yourself. But given your inability to do so, let me point out a salient bit of information to you. Section 3.3 on page 5

Up to and including the 2009 tax year, an Irish citizen who was not ordinarily resident in the State for a relevant tax year could also have availed of the remittance basis of assessment for that relevant year.

However, section 9 of the Finance Act 2010 provides that, for 2010 and subsequent tax years, the remittance basis of assessment no longer applies in respect of the foreign income of an Irish citizen not ordinarily resident in the State.

The reason for that section is that you cannot be simultaneously an Irish citizen, tax resident in Ireland, but considered domiciled elsewhere. Before 2009, if you moved abroad for long enough, when you came back you could avail of the remittance relief unless and until you became ordinarily resident.

You are advising the OP (Irish citizen) that they can somehow remain here yet elect to move their domicile elsewhere and have to pay no tax anywhere on Spanish rental income.

You

are

wrong

The OP cannot do what you are suggesting.

See above post. The OP is Irish. They are not Polish, nor from the planet Klingon.

Revenue will have the final determination as regards domicile for tax purposes. "Domicile" doesn't come into it for the OPs situation. It is useless to them. So arguing about it doesn't matter. They can take your advice and buy a whole graveyard somewhere, but it won't change anything.

Trying to change their domicile would only work after they had moved abroad for long enough (and would then be no longer tax resident or ordinarily resident here). For as long as they are tax resident, domicile doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thats a joke right? You've been in a coma for the last 10 years and have just woken up and not read any news yet? Has to be :)

Can't fix stupid.... You are trying to explain something you don't understand now and have forgotten your own argument!!!!

Remember you claimed remittance relief only applies if not ordinary resident!!!!!

There is no need for you to be so sensitive. Just because you had things arseways at the start (and still do) and try to cover up. Why you are now trying to imply that the OP is Polish and has only just moved here is beyond me.

The OP cannot do what you are advising them to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Our tenant has recently left and we are putting out property on the market in the new year. So glad to be out of the swamp that is property investment in Ireland. We do have money lying around though looking to be spent and we have actually bee discussing buying a house abroad. We even know the town and the particular houses we are interested in.

Its in Portugal where we have spent a lot of time over the years. We could airbnb it if we wanted for when we arenbt there, but arent pushed about that tbh. Have some friends who we meet over there when we go and have known them for many years now. Currently tapping them for their own experiences on it. One had a house in Portugal and had 3 apartments in Dublin up til about 2 years ago when he sold all the ones in Ireland, so he will be able to advise us well.

But I am rambling. Point is that I understand what you are saying, that it looks like its better to invest property money abroad than carry the risk investing it in Ireland. I hear ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Doesn’t seem like anybody has tried to answer any of the OP’s questions and instead talk about Spainish tax so here goes

1. You could get a standard residential mortgage on the investment property if you tell the bank you plan to live in it yourselves (and rent your current house). This is not illegal but if they find out they could move you to an investment rate.
    2. Repayments on 20 yr mortgage would be circa 1400 per month and rates are rising
    3. You will pay tax at top rate on rental income less rental expenses including mortgage interest
    4. Rent of 2400 per month would probably see you cover your costs after tax at the moment but if rent falls your costs stay the same
    5. Rent a room won’t work unless you separate and one moves into the new house - probably a bit drastic to save tax
    6. Taking a mortgage for this property will make it much harder to get a mortgage for your forever home.
    7. You are taking on massive risk of tenants not paying rent and wrecking your property. Anti landlord laws are coming all the time. This is a real risk
    8. Property seems over valued at the moment and rents also are far too high - pumped up by lots of factors

Wait a little while as more value will come into the market. in your shoes I would look to trade up to a house that has some kind of granny flat or annex that you can rent out and avail of rent a room tax free. This €18k a year could go towards paying off a larger mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Well said Casati. As a landlord who has sold all but one property, I wouldn’t advise anybody to buy to rent. Landlords are treated badly on every front. If the government want to secure tenancy rights they should guarantee rents for any property which is up to standard.

The judgement made before Christmas to allow tenants owing €70,000 remain for a further two months should be an eye opener for any prospective landlord.

Advertisement