Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Clare Village in Clarehall a rough area to buy?

Options
  • 22-12-2022 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, thinking of buying an apartment in Clare Village, been reading some mixed reviews about the area, some reviews on Reddit in 2020 were quite scary. Is it a bad area? Anyone has any idea how's the apartment block like?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

13 minute walk to Darndale. Expect lots of dodgy gangs of teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barelysane2019

Is this based on personal experience of living there or just snobbery because it’s near Darndale?

OP - I’ve lived there and liked it. It’s well connected by bus and great to have Tesco close by. My neighbours were all nice friendly people. I have never personally encountered any gangs of teenagers or had any issues. The estate is gated like any other apartments and codes or fobs are needed to gain access to blocks and main gates, car park etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've friends who bought a house out that way a few years back so I'm there quite a bit, well aware what its like.

You'll obviously be biased given you're committed to the area. Glad you like living close to Darndale but I'd rather steer clear myself.

OP, walk around the area at night and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barelysane2019

I said ‘I’ve lived there’ - past tense.

I still have plenty of family and friends living in different places close to Darndale and have to disagree with you.

Maybe it’s an issue in the particular estate / location that your friends live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many safe areas can be less appealing at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nierc

Do you mean in Clarehall generally or specific to Clare Village? It's gated apartment complex so I assume it's going to be quite safe? Unless there're some dodgy residents living there themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

I wouldnt buy there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Why are you drawn to that particular area? if the apartment is cheap then there's usually a reason.

Just thought it's near Tesco and not far a drive to town, and yes it's significantly cheaper, we're talking about at least €100,000 for the same kind of apartment, not sure if I'll spend that amount just for the neighbourhood tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Its less than a 10 minute walk.

My friend and his wife used to live there. They decided to move away when he was cyscling home one night and about 2 minutes from home he was attacked by a group of teenagers who pulled him off his bike, gave him a few kicks and walked off with the bike.

Maybe that doesnt happen often but his wife also had scary moments around the place so they moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PSFarrell

Take a couple of walks 10-15 away and you'll see burnt out cars and other unpleasant stuff...Had a friend living there who was stuck in negative equity for almost a decade sold as soon as they could

There's also new apartment construction going on in front of Clare Village. I wonder how it's going to affect the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Alot of expensive new developments built around this area recently especially down near Balgriffin.

TBH I think an area like this offers good value. Good transport links etc. But if I had kids I would think twice.

But of course their will be some dodgy people living around as In the past it was a cheap area to house people

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

I think Darndale talk is always overblown, yes it's a rough area but it's pretty hemmed in by the Malahide road and old N32. The most you will see from the outside is some clowns on a stolen motorbike on the said roads.

As mentioned by a previous posted, there is a large apartment development being built in front of it. DCC have already done a deal with the investor and it will be used for Social (and affordable?)

Seems like only 93 out of 331 units are for social housing, maybe the new construction is going to improve the neighbourhood a bit?

Ah ok, that's not so concentrated on social so. The only other point is in that CGI picture to the right what they aren't showing is a small traveller site. Every few years the Gardai and Council have to take away illegal structures that have been built up, static mobile homes etc. You also see horses tied up sometimes and small dogs on the loose.

The new built apartment will be closer to the traveller site than Clare Village then when that's built?

I've never actually looked at it on satellite maps until now. The actual houses of the site run somewhat parallel to the south block of Clare Village https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3990024,-6.1835884,165m/data=!3m1!1e3

It looks like the google street view car was down there very recently, it should improve the look of the place

Advertisement