Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying second property for investment purposes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Talk about making life more complicated and stressful.

OP you would be daft to buy an investment property given your circumstances and timelines.

You have 200k cash and an asset worth X in your existing house.

I assume you have a decent family income also.

This opens the door to up sizing while retaining your existing property as the BTL if you wish or getting a new house, sellig the existing one, with potentially a very small mortgage.

In those contexts buying a BTL now makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

You don't even need to understand the words in the document, simply turn to page 9 and read the example of a person resident and ordinarily resident in Ireland who can apply the remittance basis.

I can't do anything else for you, you have conclusive examples from Revenue to refer to. I had a fair idea you would carry on behaving like a clown, and I was right about that too.

There is no advice on actions to take here, just a comment that Irish tax basis is not applied on a worldwide basis to all tax residents /ordinary tax residents. Everything else you allege is just your silly little games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 19,532 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your document, and any example in it, has no relevance to the OP. Your implicit agreement with the other poster that someone could have rental income in Spain and somehow avoid any tax implications in Spain, Ireland, or elsewhere, is also incorrect.

Nothing you have said is relevant to the OP. You can try to change goalposts all you like and pretend that you are talking about something else. If you want to talk about something else, go start another thread on it.

Sorry, I won't be deflected from the issue by wild accusations, you were wrong and that is that 😂

If you are an adult, you have a lot of maturing to do here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Is it you mission to ruin every single thread in the property forum. You can guarantee 100% when I scroll down through an interesting thread and then you make a comment in it that there will be whole slew of argumentative posts from you until the thread is ruined and eventually closed. Every single time. Why do this? Its almost like a mission that you have to just ruin an interesting thread. You just ruin the experience for everyone.

To everyone else - Sorry for the rant. Its just so annoying.

Well I tried to get away from it last night, but the poster keeps coming back and trying to bang his drum about his imaginary Polish person and condoning some scheme for an Irish person to illegally not pay taxes. Whatever they are going on about has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. The OP is an Irish person who lives here and has no intention of going anywhere. Advising them that the can somehow spontaneously elect to change their "domicile" is simply wrong.

And you come on as well to try to stick your boot in so I have to reply to you as well. Why you want to get involved is beyond me. But how and ever. If you don't like me pointing out facts to you on other threads, then you will have to learn to deal with that.

The other poster is simply wrong. They are trying to shift the goalposts now. But they have no relevance to the OP's situation. Let them keep digging. If they don't want to admit it then fine. It is a general rule on boards.ie that you cannot encourage illegality. Advising the OP to buy a house in Spain and not pay any tax anywhere on the rental income is encouraging illegality.

You can continuing being wrong if you want to. I don't care.

You do care and it kills you, you are that type of feeble person 😂

Ah I'm done with you, I'll let you whinge on to others, desparately lying to twist your way out of it.

Pathetic.

Yeah I don't care if you want to keep being wrong. Whatever makes you happy. No need for the projection. Have a nice day.

• Advertisement

Poor mr trump. He said he didn’t care about 25 posts ago but is still coming back each time. All he has to do is show a little humility and admit he is wrong and his initial googling wasn’t thorough enough or even just stop posting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

I thought its possible to write the tax off against the mortgage?

Yeah I don't care. Keep bringing it up and I'll tell you I still don't care.

You can take the various posters advice - buy a house in Spain, rent it out, buy a graveyard abroad and tell Revenue that you are now domiciled elsewhere and never have to pay tax again in Ireland or anywhere else. Result = profit. lol

Do what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The tax understanding and advice in here is appalling. Look at the post above yours, "write the tax off against the mortgage ". He must run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas. Somebody else said you don't get mortgage interest relief on a non PPR.

Best to just ignore all these "experts".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Donald Trump and DFB-D threadbanned.

It was a question on my behalf,ie I don't know the answer.

Not advise,certainly not an expert,not sure where you got that from.Perhaps you could give an opinion or an answer instead of being a pr1ck?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Sorry, but this just financial illiteracy and is something that drove the Celtic tiger nonsense. I see it from so many landlords on this board.

The function of rent isn't to pay the mortgage, it's to cover the expenses. Paying back the principal isn't an expense.

Deprecation is an expense.

Interest is an expense.

Property tax is an expense.

After all that is done you want a small return on investment.

Don't believe me? Take a very simple example.

House worth 100k. Interest of 5% over 10 years. Interest repayments of 27k. Assume house prices are static.

Rental income of 500 a month, 250 after tax. That is 30k rental income over 10 years.

Sell the property at the end of the 10 years for 100k and you have made a profit of 3k. This ignores fees, property taxes, repairs etc but it should illustrate the point that paying back the principal isn't the function of rent. Rent should be LESS than the mortgage repayments but it's the opposite in our market which highlights how screwed up the rental market is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Depreciation is only an expense for business accounts not for an individual landlord.

The function of rent is to charge what the market will bear. It has no relevance to how much a mortgage payment is.

I do agree the market is not functioning as a market. You can't force a market to act in a particular way, the market changes as the environment changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Thank you Casati.

Looks like the thread took a wrong turn, I am not planning to invest anywhere abroad.

As someone said, I might get the same rent for a property that is 100K less, so dropped this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

There is no law that the rent should be less than any mortgage payment, the function of rent is to pay the expenses and provide a long term yield for the capital tied up in the investment.

Even if the rent is the same as the mortgage, net of expenses, mortgage interest and income tax - the remaining income (that goes into increased equity in the property that is subject to house price risk) is likely to be a low yield on the amount invested.

This is why so many landlords are getting out, it isn't that they are financially illiterate. Quite the opposite, low yield+high risk investments just are not that popular for some reason.

Some of the risks:

• tenant stops paying rent for 3 years and challenges eviction in every court in the land, costing property owner 90k in lost rent and legal fees is a massive risk (as per recent case in the Irish Times).
    • Irish property price risk is significant based on historical variation, although regulation has changed and may have reduced this somewhat.
    • Political risk of a ban on on-fault evictions forcing sales with tenants in situe, impacting massively on property values.

And we have various experts on here complaining about 'free lunches'......

• Advertisement

Don't forget risk free bond yields are now up to 2.5-3% and the inflation adjusted growth in Irish property prices over the last 15 years is significantly negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

A mortgage is not capital(Edit: not quite true. What I meant to say is that it isn't money they sitting in a bank that they want a return on). If a landlord takes out a mortgage then the interest is the cost of mortgage. If a landlord invests their own capital then they can expect a return on that - and one would expect this to be better than bank interest rates otherwise they would of just put the money in the bank.

However as saving interest rates were basically 0 for 10 years one would of expected rents to be at an all time low but this didn't happen due to the total dis-function of our housing market.

I agree with some of your points. Landlord should have the power to evict tenants that are taking the ****. Very few would disagree with that.

Post edited by eoinbn on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They do have the power to evict them. Always have. but that power is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Most have realized now that its easier to get outside the tent and p!ss in than keep the property and be p!ssing out into the wind all the time.

The last few months I have seen that eaxh anbd every landlord I know who hasnt sold up has now decided to sell up. I dont know of any landlords keeping properties at this point except REITs of course. The straw has fallen. NOTHING is going to prevent all the landlords getting out of dodge at this point, bar more legislation to trap them in a business that is killing them. Its finished. The Turkeys have been voting for Christmas for some time and now its Christmas.

Hopefully OP has had enough info to re-think - better to put your money in ETFs, or you can invest in property REITS (if you really want to).

That way you can get your money back if and when you need it.

A lot of people liked the idea of owning a property for their kids to use in college etc. but that will soon be off the table the way things are going. Because once you have tenants in it will become their forever home.

The net result is that your savings subsidise the provision of stable housing for strangers, the property won't be available for your own family.

Better to leave that provision to the government and REITs that are given huge tax advantages, unless you want to set yourself up as a housing charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Govt is now blaming builders for not getting on with agreed planning wheels are falling off when landlords won't rent and builders won't build.

They need a new 5-10 year tax incentivized and open to all investors like done several times before to revitalise areas for residential accommodation and bring on supply

govt needs to listen to those in the business, lefties lobbying increased funding for universities won at the expense of vocational colleges for apprenticeships traning so we have no plumbers or sparks great.

So hold you may get an opportunity yet.

Ires share price down 36% in the past year.

Post edited by dennis72 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There has never been a real comparison between the investment in a REIT and an owner investment property.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Only the interest on the mortgage is tax deductible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im a landlord and im staying.

I can say without fear of contradiction that I have picked, treated and been treated very fairly by all my tenants over 15 years.

Ive never charged top dollar and always made repairs and replacements in a timley manner. If you make tenants pay unaffordable rent then your only lucky when they agree to move out, so charge high rent at your peril.

I know when the time is right to sell and thats not in the next 5 years and probably not even 15 years that I will not be making a profit on this, i only come out of it with the price i paid first day when CGT and fees are taken into account, the current rents go on mortgage repayments with very very little left over and ive been coming up with what i owe revenue myself, and its all above board tax wise.

If I sold and sat down and looked at the investment from day 1 to now i would have money, but i would have lost money overall.

Ah OK,thanks for the reply.

It really doesn't make sense for any normal Joe soap to aspire to buying a second house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No unless you can forsee a massive jump in property prices so that the value of your asset will increase greatly. There are no indicators of this happening, and if the governments plans for construction numbers come true (unlikely) it makes it leas likely. there does appear to be slight consistent increases over the last few years but nothing remarkable.

Advertisement