Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart metre removal

• 28-12-2022 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 25 Fairy godmother

Has anyone successfully had their Smart Metre removed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭happyplants

There's more than a few posts on the Solar Irish facebook group where people are saying they have. Usually through Energia as the first port of call, but there was a recent one where someone posted an exchange with EI as the first port of call who seemed to arrange it.

The way the stories go make it seem "involved" at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What's the usual reason for getting it removed , is it to get onto day/nite metering ?

I didn't bother with one yet but presumably they're going to make it unviable to stay on the old meters eventually ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ryange

EI instaled new smart meter to my house approx end of October as they were doing installes in the area. My average bill during the year was €360 (prior to the Ukraine war it was approx 100 cheaper). First bill in December post meter install was €605. A decent sizehouse with ony two working adults until after 5PM. Daughter comes home most weekends . No additional increase in oil heating as we use solid fuel stove for the mainn living area. Unfortunatley due to Xmas break havent been able to contact Energia but did send them an online message. All they came back wth was to sign up to their special Smart Meter tariffs. Only for the 200 discount on a seperate email I would not have noticed as the bill appeared similar to the previous ones. Anyone seen this increase since Smart meter was installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

Are you sure the bill is for the same length of time. When ours was changed it was higher but it was for nearly 4 months instead of 2.

There is this side of it, and its especially reported on in the UK, but I don't really buy into the scam side of things. It is measuring unit use. If it was doing so inaccurately, I dunno, I just would imagine it would be bigger news.

My main issue is that the smart meter precludes a day / night rate (on present practice - no reason in principle) and the "smart" equivalent is no-where as good value across the board.

In essence, smart tarrifs are pretty shite right now compared to day / night rate especially for heat pumps / cars and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Fairy godmother

Thanks. I’m not on Facebook. ESB use MDE Installations for their work so the actual providers do not install them.

ESB tell me they have no old metres that can replace the smart metre. I find this very hard to believe and have also been told by an employee my husband knows that there are traditional metres still available.

Not sure where to go from here so was hoping someone else had been through similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Nonsense. Absolutely zero point in publishing EUR values of your bills - it tells us nothing other than to indicate that you're on a higher rate/standing charge and indicates to most of us that it's probably waffle. Show us your unit values in a spreadsheet over the last 3 years and back that up with screenshots of the bills.

There's a lot of stories here about bills going through the roof after smart meter fitted

Most will be down to changes in the billing cycle or 'actual' readings being taken and higher unit rates

Mistakes do happen though but they'd be a very small minority

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Fairy godmother

Getting off topic here. Really just wanted to know if anyone has successfully had their smart metre removed.

The unit rates also sky rocketed for many over that period due to energy prices hikes hitting home.

My day/night normal bill and also my gas bill on Bord Gáis Energy landed in my email this month and was the first one at seriously increased rates.

I’m going to have to stop heating a lot of the house for the rest of the winter as I just can’t afford this. The bill was nuts.

• Advertisement

Having cold areas in the house will just create other problems

Be better to lower the temperature a bit and eliminate draughts

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Think they have , you'll get your answer on the other smart meter threads

Presume ESBN would have to do this if it's possible. Smart meter co's wouldn't be going back ripping them out

They’ll just have to be cold. I literally can’t afford to pay this. The bills more than doubled doubled.

TRVs throughout the house, as much insulation as I can get into it etc. was built in 1978 so that’s got its limits. It has good windows that are up to modern thermal specs but it’s burning though too much gas in particular, but the electricity bill was huge too.

I already only heat it to 18°C

I just can’t afford to heat it at this rate. Just isn’t feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Has a Smart Meter to be registered with EI to get smart meter rates? If I don't register it will I be able to continue as if it was the old Meter? TIA.

It's actually a pity that the smart meter roll-out coincides with unit rates going skyward as it's reflecting badly on the meters themselves and is becoming a lightning rod for those opposed to the change. It's very easy to manipulate insufficient data and use it as a beating stick.

I agree that the deals on offer for smart meters aren't ideal, but that's not the meter's fault - that just suppliers reacting to a new commercial opportunity and screwing the customer. Competition should level that playing field over time.

The best advice that I have for you is to go onto the price comparison websites and see if there is a better per-unit deal available for you. Then consider breaking contract with your provider to change the contract.

Hopefully this helps.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Don't think there's any need to change from a current 24hr tarriff .Think that was mentioned on other thread ?

Replacing day/nite with smart meter dunno if you can keep dual-tarriff rates , think maybe not ?

Most of those questions would already be answered on the smart meter threads

I did a bonkers.ie switch to BGE a few months ago, which was the best tariff but it’s been hiked since.

I’m planning to do a recalculation in January.

Looking at getting in PV solar but that’s months away. Have solar hot water but it’s making very little impact this time of year with the short days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Not really, Im stuck with a smart meter. I don't WFH. All the smart meter tariffs do is punish me for having the nerve of using most of my electricity when I come home from work and before I got to bed.

Never mind the privacy invasion that is since October ESB gathers your energy usage data every 30 minutes. Excellent article by data privacy expert Simon McGarr here: https://www.thegist.ie/the-gist-how-smart-is-your-meter/.

A dystopian piece of technology. If you can get rid of it, chuck it out the window. If they were actually any use, they wouldn't force people to stick to smart meter tariffs once the box is activated but let people also still avail of 24 hour and day and night tariffs also on the market.

• Advertisement

Loads of reasons they were unavoidable

Physical meter reading would be lunacy going forward

Live data , multiple tarriffs/plans , remote disconnection, accurate billing, smoothing demand curve

Will they encourage tampering though?

Probably will

Ya There's the meters themselves and the new functionality

Then there's the pricing, different issues

I read the article. Facts dressed up as fodder for the whatabouterists. Use the technology to your benefit.

Yes, but no-one with a brain is really saying the meters are at fault.

People are saying that the very system designed to create an incentive for off-peak use is less of an incentive than a day/night rate on a day/night meter or, indeed, less of an incentive than the EV plans that pre-existed the increase in costs and stilll beats the smart plans for price.

So really, what has happened is that excellent technology has been paired with typical gouging behaviour in that

1. If you enter a smart tariff they won't let you off it. That has to create issue in European law in terms of anti-competitive behaviour.
    2. The smart plans are rubbish.

So its not mad to see the tinfoil hat stuff, but the problems are real.

Don't think anyone's arguing with any of that

Once there's a difference in price there's an incentive there to use electricity at different times

They probably don't need to supply off-peak at ~half price to change behaviours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sounds like a lot of advantages and savings for the supplier. Somehow I bet this will translate into higher prices for the consumer all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

In the UK, about 8 years ago when they started with smart meters, a few of the first generation meters had issues with led lights.

First generation meters were never used in Ireland.

I have a smart meter and with a little bit of management of electricity use, my bills are similar to last year even with the 100%+ increase in rates.

The op and the poster saying their bill jumped might need to understand that electricity unit rates jumped substantially in October.

But if you manage your use and use the very detailed information the smart meter can give you, you will reduce your use substantially.

Our biggest savings was in the dishwasher and washing machine - both now run on express modes unless absolutely necessary and tumble dryer is now used for finishing off drying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I ordered a smart meter then cancelled as I found companies have higher tariff between 5 pm and 7 pm, I am with Electric Ireland, there is a plan that doesn't charge high rate at 5 - 7 pm but I don't know how long that will last, I don't know if I am doing the right thing and it is hard to know

Advertisement