Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Correct.

French protests are well known for such scenes.

The above all from yellow vest protests starting from Nov 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Bolsonaro supporters planting bombs

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

These people would 100% make same sex acts illegal if they could.

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1607741993089892353?t=bMIF0_b0VqUJlCbNGTFldw&s=19

• Advertisement

Some people will say that these type of characters should be ignored.

Butas the tweesays, over half of Republicans, including TFG, buy at least some of this Q BS.

A full 22 years in to the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Sounds like a crazy woman.

Saying at least half of a group of people believe at least some of anythingis totally meaningless.

Give me any group of people and half of them will believe at least some of anything. Eg. Diana was murdered, JFK assassination was a conspiracy, Covid vaccines are bad, etc, etc.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The difference being, control of US Congress and the Senate finds itself intermittently run by a party currently indulging in those narratives you're dismissing; indeed the US Supreme Court is now controlled by notably conservative, right-leaning judges, installed by the previous president who himself happily stoked those prejudicial fires. The recent dissolving of Roe v Wade being a good example of this.

There's a reason why Biden recently protected same-sex and interracial marriage through legislation the other week; it was pure political theatre but also very topical for this very exact reason. There was real concern the Supreme Court's next target was same-sex marriage, and IMO that concern was legitimate. The right in America is increasingly the tail wagging the dog from an ideological standpoint, while belief in the JFK assassination conspiracy won't ever result in whole demographics becoming nonexistent or illegal.

She might sound like a crazy woman, but she's a crazy woman among crazies with power, influence and a media outlet.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Indeed. When some people weaponise LGBTQ+ rights against muslims its ironic because many of these people will also easily move to oppress LGBTQ+ people if given the opportunity.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

More hackery. Q stuff is incredibly fringe, I can't think of many mainstream conservatives who believe in it. I can't even think of many on the fringe who do. I don't even think that Alex Jones dabbles in it.

All the same, the child trafficking stuff shouldn't be laughed at or mocked in my opinion. People seem to have forgotten the Epstein stuff very quickly.Where many rich and powerful men were essentially having sex with young girls on an island? Elite pedophilia was once considered an insane conspiracy theory, yet it wasn't a theory really was it? It was true.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

More nonsense. There's a legitimate deviant element to the modern LGBT moment, which does not mean all people who are LGBT. The deviant element is a literal evil. Not one bit of this is helped by the fact that people like yourself will never call out the actual sick elements, are more likely to defend them. If I defended Hitler all the time, I'd be a Nazi, if you defend sick acts all the time, you'll get called sick. This is a problem created by your own side solely.

Most people have a libertarian view of LGBT people, as in do what you want, but keep it away from me. You refuse to respect said principle and force LGBT into everything, creating more and more people who are fed up being told what to think.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Nah. This "deviant" crap is to paint LGBT people as "evil". Modern conspiracy/far right/hate movements are obsessed with LGBT movements and painting LGBT people as deviant/evil. They started on trans people first but you can very clearly see it move from transphobic hatred to homophobic hatred. Even your post others LGBT people in how it presents LGBT people as other than people. The reality is that "people" includes LGBT people and friends and family of LGBT people.

Terry Pratchet

A lot of LBGT stuff is deviant by the literal dentition of the term. Once again, none of us "far right" people would ever even talk about these topics if they weren't so topical. They are topical, because mainstream culture is forcing these values on wider society, so naturally people will react to that. You literally have a LGBT flag as your avatar, you had a LGBT banner picture before that, yet it's the other side who are obsessed? I don't even know what you're trying to say with your last two sentences.

You've ignored my core point as many in this thread often do. When you defend sick acts, people will naturally call you sick. You can't defend the worst of it yet expect the world to only look at the best of it. It all goes together if you don't. I posted here a few weeks ago about how you never denounce anything, I posted an example of a gay man saying something sick, sometimes no decent person would be ok with. And what did you all do? You spoke about context, when there was no context in the world that would make what he said ok. It's no different to the Catholic Church, who hide their deviants instead of expelling them, and if there was any sense in your movement, you'd realize you too could end up like the Church. It's honestly mind blowing that you can't simply say "No, this is wrong, this doesn't represent us".

Touched a nerve I see.

The former President of the USA has pushed Q narratives. So too have several sitting elected officials and influential public commentators. I'd love to ignore this and say it's just idiotic wingnuts who take part in this and we don't need to worry. But we've all seen the impact of this type of individual getting power and the damage that comes from it. That's why it needs to be pointed out and refuted/ridiculed for what it is so casual observers don't assume it, or the people who push it, deserve to be part of a legitimate narrative.

As for your LGBT statement about a deviant element? Please enlighten us as to what this is and as you do, please also consider harmful elements/practices that exist elsewhere in society and ask yourself why are you, like others here recently, only concerned about what you perceive to be a danger from this particular subset of society.

And supporters of the removal of Roe v Wade as a right to abortion also have said that other judgements allowing interracial marriage, and same sex marriage could be looked at as well.

So, again, I'm going to call out the hateful bigoted motivations every chance I get so they don't get any chance to fester and infect public discourse despite those who simultaneously want to pretend such a mindset is both inconsequential and should be ignored and yet somehow what most people want.

I havent ignored your core point. Your core point is pretty much that lgbt people are "evil", "deviant" and "sick"

I was pointing out your "othering" of LGBT people

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/othering

Terry Pratchet

What Congress person currently believes inter racial marriage should be banned?

This seems difficult to believe.

I was referring to Q narratives when I mentioned elected officials.

But, that being said...

And 37 Republicans voted against the respect for marriage Bill recently. Including someone in an interracial marriage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Based on existing narratives, we already know the response: it's just one senator yada yada.

I had forgotten to mention in my own post that as your own screenshot notes, a Supreme Court justice has already noted that gay rights should be next to be dissolved. The Supreme Court is now right leaning, towards a specific brand of conservatism.

The contention seems to be that just because there's no official GOP policy towards the dissolution of gay rights, it's not a resting prejudice in the heart of its actions.

Surely you must know that Braun was asked about Loving vs. Virginia in an online interview.

He clarified his remarks saying

“Earlier during a virtual press conference, I misunderstood a line of questioning that ended up being about interracial marriage. Let me be clear on that issue -- there is no question the Constitution prohibits discrimination of any kind based on race. That is not something that is even up for debate, and I condemn racism in any form, at all levels and by any states, entities, or individuals,"

That seems pretty clear.

In relation to the Marriage Bill, recently Ireland voted against a resolution condemning the glorification of Nazism and Neo Nazism.

Does this mean we as a state are in favour of the glorification of Nazism or is there, perhaps, some nuance involved?

3 justices who said in the jobinterview for the Supreme Court role that Roe v Wade was settled law.

And a separate justice whose wife supported the insurrection and fed the lie that the election was stolen.

And a separate justice who it appears leaked the decision of Roe v Wade and then decried leaks coming from the court.

And all this after McConnell refused for a whole year to let Obama seat a judge beau of an upcoming election but then let Trump do it within a week of the 2020 election.

Thread title proven once again.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I lost all tolerance for Republican nuance after their last 3 SC nominees voted to remove Roe v Wade. (see last post)

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

After explicitly confirming that they considered Roe settled prior to being sworn in.

The modern GOP is just a vehicle for extreme right wing ideologies. Nothing else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Is that an answer?

Do you also see the Irish state as a supporter of Nazism?

The Democrats can hardly be seen to be impartial when it comes to the Supreme Court when they propose packing the court with extra partisan justices.

As for your LGBT statement about a deviant element? Please enlighten us as to what this is and as you do, please also consider harmful elements/practices that exist elsewhere in society and ask yourself why are you, like others here recently, only concerned about what you perceive to be a danger from this particular subset of society.

Once again, you play the tedious game of making people repeat themselves. You've been given examples on this site probably hundreds of times by now, yet you pretend that it never happened, a commonality with certain posters. Only a week or so ago I gave you an example of a gay man in said community speaking of children and male sexual parts. I honestly don't even want to type what he said exactly as it was written because it was honestly sick, genuinely outrageous stuff, that you and other posters tried to defend. This is the whole point, there's nothing that you won't defend, and that is causing the issue. Your own side relies on things like "silence is violence" when it suits you, yet you aren't just silent about these acts, you defend them, which is far worse. I don't know what world you people inhabit exactly, but I guarantee you, a large majority of society would share my views on that. You really don't get that. You think because most people support gay rights that everyone is all in on it, but that aren't, they'd be disgusted by some of the things you people defend on here. Most of the "perceived" danger comes from people just like you, and you're inability to say no, meaning that when problems arise, they aren't quashed, they fester and get worse.

Do you really think I read everything you say, or every post on Boards, or even this thread and can recall it and know immediately and specifically how it releates to every other comment?

Either say what it is you are trying to say, or don't but right now you kinda come across as 'old man shouts at cloud' because no one really knows what it is you are referring to.

In relation to your last paragraph, please give specific example of the danger coming from people like me so we can discuss it. I gave several examples in the OP, and many times since of what I am saying, items such as Brexit, Ukraine war, medical expertise undermining, the climate issue etc, etc.

Let's see what people like me are doing that is actually is a bigger deal than these things.

I get what TomTomTim is saying.

There are extremists on both sides. There are a minority of right wing conservative extremists who hold extreme views who are called out by the majority of conservatives.

While the minority of extremists in some communities, such as trans women with penises who condemn lesbians as bigots for not having sex with them are defended by their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It is the socio-political Left that has weaponized 'LGBT+', what comes from the right and far right is just a reaction to what the left started.

When any reasonable argument is made in respect of LGBT+ politics they are immediately labelled fascists or phobes and if often seems to me the constant promotion of LGBT rights is done just so they can do that. That is why I say it is the Left that have weaponized LGBT rights, not the right.

When the Right use the term deviant whether rightly or wrongly I couldn't care less because that is no different that labelling one a fascist or a phobe because the intention is the same, which is to say that whatever arguments one makes it's stems from one being a horrible person of whatever kind that forms their opinions.

So tough luck, you are just getting back what you have been dishing out and you deserve it.

OK, so extremists on one side 'condemn others' extremists on the other go all the way up to beating and killing people with same sex orientations in severe cases, or want to prevent them getting married in other instances.

These levels of extremism are not the same and it's another reason 'both sidesing' doesn't work on this topic.

We're still waiting for an example of this deviancy and so until then can't judge how accurate it is.

Accusations of fascism have been accompanied with no shortage of examples of how that term is appropriate for individual motivations, or wider movements.

Once again, just because there are 2 sides on this topic, you can't just claim they are equal and not expect to be challenged on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Loads of them are Feds anyway, as you well know.

Where do spooks work? Spook agencies

Advertisement