Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depth of feed barrier for Weanlings

• 28-12-2022 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

I have a few small bucket fed weanlings that keep getting through the feeding barriers, someone told me to weld a bar the length of the barrier to reduce the depth of the barrier. What would be an ideal depth from the top of the new welded bar to the bottom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Mr..

You would be better off not welding because then its no good for bigger cattle in the future, if you attach a bar with u bolts or something similar you can adjust it to suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

I seen a lad using ratchet and straps for this issue. Pulled tight and in/out every second bar. Works well and easy remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I bolted on a length of galvanised pipe on my barrier,worked a treat, dry cows in there now, just unbolted and stored away ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

The top of their necks should be just free of the bar you put in, you could weld small bits of pipe a little bigger than bar to the diagonal feed barrier for something stronger than tying but still easy to remove

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Good loser

I read about that on boards. Did it in one pen with smallest stock. Simple and worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I bought a very light 20' aluminium ladder at an auction 10-12 years ago you could not use it as a ladders it was too light. I used it a few time to prevent bucket fed weanlings for leaving pens. I used to tie it on with a rope.

As minerleague posted just abo e necks. While weld can be easy to remove it will rust those bars you attach it to on the barrier over time.

U-bolts would work, ratchet straps would a good idea. Saw a lad tie on a 9x6 piece of timber but if there is ringworm you would want to burn it at the end of the winter

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

2 or 3 Scaffolding clamps and a length of tubing. Quick easy and strong. Shame to have a rachet strap in ribbons after cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

We also use scaffold clamps and pipe. Set it to any height or remove it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

15 foot pen, what would the cost be here

Also would the calves destroy the strap when it would be up? ie would they start biting and chewing it

Post edited by Tomjim on

Advertisement