Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Several reasons. I know there's fairly serious depreciation coming on my Model S. This was by far the most important reason for ordering the Model Y which is brand new, good value, a popular form factor, ahead of the rest of the market in many aspects, super efficient, subsidised by €5k and almost guaranteed to have low depreciation. Problem is that since I ordered the Model Y 2.5 months ago, my Model S has already depreciated by a good €3k or so - the whole used car market has collapsed or at least got a serious correction from the madness from earlier in the year. So this reason has become a lot less valid

Then there is the fact that I will be trading down. The Model S is not as well made as the Model Y, but it's the daddy. It's size / form factor / comfort / luxury of it and its speed are far superior. Also I have FSD, it didn't cost me anything when I bought it. It won't be worth anything if I sell it today. But it is getting damn good. All FSD cars in North America are now allowed use the beta software. That's over a million cars. It will come here too, but could be a while. I'm really interested in this area. If I sell the car now, I won't be able to afford it on any future Tesla I might buy. At the moment in the USA it already costs $18k and I believe Tesla will stop selling it and only let you rent it on new cars. For big money, could be $100 per day or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Yeah, I see your dilemma. Do you see used prices levelling for now or dropping significantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I think its fair to say that FSD is several years away from being online in the EU. The US probably alot closer than that. If you factor that in, then your S will be 3-5 years older when it eventually does come in and FSD could be so watered down at that stage that it might be little better than autopilot is now.

All I want for now is the beta 😂

Dropping further, but ICE cars far more so than EVs. The Model S is a bit of an odd one out. Not an easy sell a €40k+ private sale of an out of warranty aging car where 99% of people with that sort of budget for a car buy new and mostly with finance. That said, the Model S is something special, they are very rare in Ireland (and always will be), yet instantly recognisable. Particularly by young people. Literally every day you'd get a kid (mostly boys but also regularly girls) pointing at the car and shouting "Tesla!" - still find that a very weird phenomenon. Also it is generally regarded as the car that made EVs accepted. Even superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I've also been thinking twice about the model y.

However my reasoning would be closer to having an itch to scratch for an M car. Have been looking at F82's, E92's and even F10's. Problem with them is that they are really poor value at the moment!

A neighbour had an E60 v10 and a spin in that did not help matters in favour of propulsion via electrons 😄

So it's the usual head versus heart debate that I'm sure many on here have on a daily basis!

Head is winning at the moment though...

@Foreign Sports - funny you mention that. A neighbour of mine had an E63 M6 with the same setup many years ago. Got to drive it one glorious Monday morning and it was great except for the robotised manual transmission. Engine sound was superb hitting the 8500rpm rev limit. But did you give it a fair comparison?

My last Tesla, a 2014 Model S P85 (performance), also RWD only, had a slightly quicker but almost the same 0-60 time of 3.9s. But it is night and day, so effortless in the Tesla. I'm sure if you had driven the Tesla straight after the M5, you would have agreed it's game over for ICE cars...

@unkel I fully agree that you cannot really compare ICE vs electric. Even a model 3 performance would beat all of the above 0 to 100km.

From an emotional perspective though, can an electric car ever elicit the same response as a N/A V10?!?

I've never owned something with more than 4 cylinders although my dad used to have an E36 320i. Even that, with a modest 150hp had a lovely throaty sounding straight 6!

In 10 or 15 years time, most of us will have shifted to some form of electrification anyway so I suppose I'm just thinking of a last hurrah with ICE before I commit fully to electric..

Maybe the question I should be asking is do I play it safe with a new model Y rwd or go second hand model 3 performance which has the handling, the speed etc but doesn't have the last couple of years of (physical) updates, bigger warranty etc..

Last hurrah is right. When I took a Model 3 Performance on a decent test drive over the Wicklow mountains in track mode on roads I know well, I decided there and then to sell my pride and joy the Porsche Boxster. Superb to drive and orchestral sound from the flat 6 engine right behind your head, but it had instantly become irrelevant. A relic from history.

So yeah, go for the Model 3 Performance if that's a realistic choice. Amazing car. Keep an eye out on the Tesla used inventory, occasionally a rather cheap one comes up. That's how @Gumbo got his. A sedan with a boot simply doesn't suit me for practical reasons / dog, otherwise I'd have one too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement

Yep i saw that one alright..very tempting indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

The red one is a 2020 freemont build car, probably better to hold out for a shanghai built model 3

Is there really such a big difference in the build quality between a 2020 Freemont vs a 2022 Shanghai?

I know panel gaps and possibly paint quality etc would be improved in Shanghai built cars but would there be a discernable difference in build quality?

I mean such that you'd actually notice in terms of rattles / squeaks etc?

Of course depending on budget. 20k extra for the 2022 MIC one.

€79,500 for the 2022 blue one last week.

Maybe 15 extra for a 2021 one?

And the Fremont one has the nicer wheels 😀

I’ve had 3 Fremont cars now including a 2020 M3P. I have no panel gap issues, rattles or interior damage.

I’ve never owned a MIC car so I can’t comment on their “superior” quality but I think it’s over hyped.

Richard Symons done a sound test on the double glaze windows for example and found no sound difference in the cabin.

I've owned both and the freemont car was a complete disaster, the mic cars are far better built

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

There was the bargain to be had if one had a biggish budget, way batter value than 57k perf 2020. It sold a few days after it was reduced. I wonder if it is now this? https://www.carsireland.ie/3195170

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shanghai only make the RWD models, all P or L model 3s come from Freemont

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Model 3 performance are made in shanghai vin no.starts with LRW while 5YJ are freemont built cars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh, I thought all MIC cars were Lifepo4

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Not true. We have an April 2021 built LR with VIN LRW* i.e. a Shanghai assembled car with the LG 74.5 kWh battery pack. (Edit: This is about Model 3 vs Model Y. Sorry for contaminating the Y thread).

Wow, that's high praise indeed in comparison to a boxster. I can safely assume that a boxster handles pretty well so a model 3 performance comparing well in that company is very impressive!

Model 3 is very agile. It’s a point and shoot machine. Nice steering rack.

Brakes are a bit soft. You have to really step on them but they bite. Standard Brembo until they are warmed up.

Fast. It feels as fast 90% of the time as my previous Model S P90D Ludicrous, just not as violently fast if you get me.

It’s getting hard to decide if I’m selling it for the MY in feb/mar now too 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Boxster is a fantastic machine, pure bred Porsche and you simply can't beat a RWD mid engine setup. But it is simply so much slower than the Model 3 Performance, it's unreal. The Model 3 beat every competitor around a track, even the BMW M3, costing near twice as much. And that was before Tesla enabled track mode via an over the air update. And none of that launch control stupidity that you have with lots of modern performance cars (even the Tesla Model S post P85 cars). As @Gumbo said, just stamp your foot on the pedal at any time and it flies.

Go drive one yourself. Play around with the track mode and drive it hard. Then get back to tell us about it here 😁

The whole second hand market has calmed down. It couldn’t last.

Many posted on this forum alone that it was cooling, myself included last April.

I went from buying cars monthly to stepping back as the prices started to drop.

BMW the same many small dealers grabbing i4’s from the UK 3 months ago and I actually posted on the i4 thread that it was expensive and asked if it would sell. It’s still for sale today.

Its all relative though, the MY seemly outsold the Golf last month worldwide.

No.

$7500 credit for new Teslas coming next week. This shaves a huge chunk off the price of second hand Teslas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Advertisement