Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Conor Fitz signed a contract renewal in the spring, almost certainly for two years. TOH had a one year contract extension, he will retire, so the big question is will Porch will renew. Wootton's contract is up in the summer, but although he hasn't played much rugby this season, he has been a very effective try scorer in the past.

In the forwards DRMc was a stopgap renewal due to the province's inability to sign anyone else. We need another TH, I would imagine he will be trade in unless he makes huge progress.

Like last year, I think our best recruitment opportunities will be connected to the situation in terms of game time at Leinster, that's where there are players who are wiling to take Connacht wages for the opportunity to make a national squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

2 kicks for the Brumbies with a 50% success rate. 0 kicks for Connacht.

Until Hawkshaw arrived, place kicks at Connacht have been the jurisdiction of Carty, Fitzgerald, and, occasionally, Tom Daly. Elisaatwar's 2023 campaign for Tom Daly at outhalf is likely inspired by the one game he played there in 2020 IIRC against Edinburgh. He was effective, kicked well out of the hand and took his points from the ground as well.

Nobody can deny that Carty has been having a 'mare this season from the tee, and has been unacceptably inconsistent kicking from the hand. Unlike Elisaatwar, I believe he can do better in the latter department, but I do think he needs to be relieved of goal kicking duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

Lads if you think Cartys limitations are only from the tee I don’t know what to do but facepalm and gasp at the deficit of knowledge here. 

He regularly turns sideways to shovel the ball laterally without squaring his hips to the defence. I dont think I’ve ever seen him take the ball straight. He regularly crabs sideways and telegraphs the direction the ball is going to be passed as well. 

He is slow footed and hobbles around the pitch looking like an old fella on his Sunday walk. No urgency, no speed, no agility. He can’t get his backline moving and seems to swan around the park without a care. No urgency.

He regularly knocks the ball on, he goes into contact too high and tries to release the offload which he regularly knocks on. His decision making is poor in broken field play, he passes the ball without attacking or trying to beat the defender. No attempt at a switch or a loop. He doesn’t fix the defender and just shovels it on.

He is also subject to having no competition challenging him so there is no impetus to change his game or get better. In fact, he seems to be cantering along to retirement without a bother on him such is the loyalty of fans in the face of possibly the worst outhalf play in the league.

His defence is stationary and slow, he doesn’t break his neck to get across the field and make cover tackles. He can tackle but that’s barely it. He never clears out rucks and for anyone watching promising youngsters like Crowley he blazes into them and puts in big hits. Carty looks at it, thinks he doesn’t want any of it and directs his forwards in to them. 

His vision is good and he can spot a cross field kick but his execution inevitably lets him down. And as for his kicking from tee hand and into touch, he lets his team down over and over by the standards not being there. 

No one will call him out on the pitch for missing them and take his head off so he doesn’t dare do it again. I’m thinking Dunga in Brazils ‘94 World Cup type of standards. It’s not good enough and his enablers on here aren’t helping Connacht progress. It’s regression.

Post edited by Ernie McCracken on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Lets take out the hyperbole. I won't say Carty is an amazing outhalf. He is also not a terrible outhalf.

If you discount kicking he is an average starting option for a midtable team. Deeply flawed but quiet capable in some respects. As a goalkicker he is one of the worst first choice goalkickers in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,464 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The question is, do you feel Carty is holding the team back?

If you think he is then he has to go. If you don't then we stick with him.

I'm in the camp that feels he is preventing the team from progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think he's holding Connacht back but equally he's not the OH they need to bring them forward to where they want to be.

If Connacht are serious about being in URC playoffs on a regular basis, then they need someone else, if not to replace Carty then certainly to compete with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Get a grip lad, the only thing you haven't called out is his hair. Feels like your foaming at the mouth and spitting while typing that.

Post edited by ShineyShiney on

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

There's an awful lot of talent in Jack Carty. I wouldn't be writing him off. I'd like to see him have some competition alright but he's quality when on form.

And I will direct any of the same old Connacht what do we do next to posters like you. You’re holding back the team with blind loyalty to a player who isn’t up to it. It’s harsh and I understand the defensiveness, but he is too slow and lateral to ever get anything out of our backline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s an Internet forum nobody here’s opinions are affecting Connacht rugby and their selections

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think our issues are systematic rather than down to Jack alone. Our attack was good last season, and Jack played a key part in that by hitting the ball at pace from depth and attacking square and straight. I don't think it's a coincidence that our attacking structure has collapsed since the coaching team restructure.

You’re having a laugh if you think Carty is hitting the ball square and at pace. It is partially down to the quality of ball he gets but stationary and sideways is what happens under pressure. Anyway, I don’t want to flog a dead horse if you disagree or want to protect Jack I understand that. But you will not get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Having seen most of these lads play AIL, byrne won’t be good or technical enough to make it, Will reilly nowhere near it, gilvarry was released around Halloween. D Murray, illo & mccormack the most influential in games I’ve seen. The backs have been mixed as largely can depend on what’s going on upfront but personally I’d build around them 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

So your saying Jack no longer knows how to mess with the oppositions defensive line and it's now a coaching issue when he did know how to do it in the past.

Every game is lateral these days. How is a back 3 to win at that carry on. But it's the coaching direction versus the individual showing no initiative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Was hoping Byrne could be a rotation option like Masterson but you are probably right, he's certainly not an elite prospect.

What's your read on Shane Jennings at 15 and Harry West at 10?

I don’t think it’s so much a coaching issue as it is also a conditioning issue. The coaches are responsible for the conditioning of the players but the players themselves have to turn away that slice of chocolate cake or decide not to butter the toast in the morning.

There is also additional callisthenics / yoga / pilates / plyometrics that the player should do outside of set training if he wants to gain that extra yard and improve his alertness and conditioning on the pitch. Darcy called it marginal advantage- getting that extra 2/3% on your opponent.

He should also communicate this with the staff if he feels flat footed or training in the wet and mud is slowing him down. We don’t know who is at fault but it looks like both sides in this equation are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

After reading article linking Ben Healy to Edinburgh, would it not make sense for Connacht to make a play for him ? Would be a win-win for both parties

Also interesting to hear that no Connacht player out of contract this year has been offered a new contract yet, perhaps waiting on confirmation of Wilkins/New DOR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If Connacht were interested they can't offer more than what Munster have offered

The same way people talk about players from Leinster if they're happy where they are can't do anything about that

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Is Bundee out of contract after the world cup? Since the 7 week ban he is reluctant to commit to secondary tackles. Fully understand he might subconsciously thinking don't give the ref any reason for a card especially with 6 nations and WC coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think if there is an offer from outside of Ireland. Then they can offer more.

With Healy though Edinburgh may be able to offer more than just money.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Healy is a lower half urc team out half, would be decent back up option but certainly not as a starter.

Remove the munster multiplier of pashun and legund and your left with a kicking outhalf that can't kick under pressure (yet).

He's young so there always a chance he can progress greatly but I just don't see it.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the money at connacht is almost always going to be worse, but this is compensated for by the opportunity to play and ultimately break into the national team. For players who grew up in Ireland that ambition is what defines their career. Healy appears to have been bounced to number three, and may fancy a move which could make him number two. PErdsonally, I'm not red hot on him, but given the discussion above he would appear like the most reasonable player to approach if Connacht want to chase another 10. And he has a massive boot.

In terms of recruitment, one thing that has pleased me about connacht this season is that we have fulfilled our end of the bargain tot he Leinster players who moved during the summer. Dooley, Murphy, Byrne and Hawkshaw are all getting opportunities, which shows the undecided that they will get is a real return if they head west.

Unfortunately, Bundee has made very little contribution to Connacht in recent seasons, in part because of his international commitents. That's tough for us but good for Ireland, and he's very valuable to the province's profile and a source of great excitement for many of the supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I can see Bundee moving on. He's 33? He won't be in the Ireland plans after the world cup. He likely won't get a central contract. France may be an option?

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd imagine Bundee has already been offered a one year extension to lock him down for a potential World Cup slot. As good as McCloskey is, Farrell and Co have their favourites and Bundee is absolutely one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Do remember him and Mils Mulianina (open to spelling correction) being signed. And while Mils was just doing a touring pro at the end of his career Bundee was just starting out and was really the best purchase. But there reaches a time when it just isn't happening anymore. So I would be surprised if Bundee simply WANTS to be playing for Connacht anymore. And I get it. He did very well for us but he knows he needs to go and Connacht fans understand he needs to go

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

May mean nothing at all but Bundee has been posting a lot of stuff the last few days from Toulouse.

Could just be coincidence as he's close with Pita Akhi, Jerome Kaino and Tim Nanai-Williams who are all there, but if there's no central contract on offer tough to begrudge the guy making one last big contract after he's given so much to Connacht rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Could be a bit of turnover at Connacht this summer

“John Porch unsure of Connacht future ahead of clash with Leinster”

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/john-porch-unsure-of-connacht-future-ahead-of-clash-with-leinster-42251309.html

Advertisement