Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Irish EV Sales

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

2 hour KPI! That one was definitely signed off by someone who sits behind a desk all day.

200kms range is not good enough really. For a variety of reasons like those you listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Little secret, we don't always get to every call in 2 hours but we are the only ones in the country in the industry with engineers and vans within 2 hours of all the customers depots (supermarkets and fuel stations of all things!)

But if we start missing too many calls on time because the van is charging after a busy day it wouldn't go down well. Plus a massive inconvenience for the engineers, and will they be charging at home etc...

For a van driver that works locally only or knows exactly where they are going each day 200kms could work. But not for us, the way things are anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Inconvenience? After a long hard shift I'd love to drive straight home rather than having drive to a fuel station to load up with diesel, then queue to pay for it, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Jizique

Bizarre that some chap on boards can tell us more about EV profitability than the large global OEMs; they would only build EVs if they were more profitable than ICE, and given around 40% of the cost is battery, it is due to the cost of this element

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

The smaller battery Ioniq 5 certainly is a lot of car for the money. I know they sell the smaller battery EV6 in the UK but decided not to bring it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They can't only build EVs because they simply can't get enough batteries. It's not profitability making the decision, but partly supply constraints.

Not sure what point you are making about the Denmark comparison but the price increase is from the OEM/distributor and not related to tax rules.

I am not connected to Kia (although I appreciate it might start to sound like I am!!) but surely dealers not taking orders for a period where there is uncertainty on supply and price is a good thing. Other threads on here have detailed difficulties with other brand dealers taking orders and then 6/12 months later causing a world of aggreviation for customers by trying a number of different techniques to back out of the deal or raise the price.

I would tend to agree with you that they possibly set the launch price a little too low but it certainly generated a lot of interest and demand. Also, there is a certain logic in rewarding those first customers that put down their deposit without having ever seen the car in the metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I'd agree with this viewpoint, take the Peugeot e208 as an example. IIRC the price difference between the base petrol and electric was around €8k for the same trim level (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Does that really sound like it's all down to the battery? And that's assuming they save nothing by not building a petrol engine or drivetrain

So while a bit of a price premium can be explained by the cost of batteries, the manufacturers are definitely taking the opportunity to get some extra cash

There's some that are doing better then others. VW for example seem to have no issues with battery supply, it seems to be semiconductors or wiring harnesses that hold them back.

Kia/Hyundai seem to be in a similar boat and if we're a secondary market then they'll likely always be constrained on sales somewhat

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Because they rightly figured they can get away with selling the overpriced big battery version here. They did something like this before when the Kona EV came out first, shockingly bad spec for a tiny car costing the guts of €40k. 3 years previously they sold the much bigger Ioniq 28kWh with a super good spec for just late €20ks and they were of course flying out. They learnt their lesson 😏

I for one wish they'd been slower on the uptake 😬

• Advertisement

The ioniq is a fantastic car, would certainly have one of those over a Kona. Would I be right in saying that the e-Niro only ever came with the one battery option (the larger one) in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I thought OEMs had legally binding emissions targets to meet so they need a certain amount of EVs to offset their ice sales. As the average emissions allowance is reducing year on year they need to sell a higher proportion of EVs each year. They seem to have no problems manufacturing this bare minimum number of BEVs each year, but making any more than that seems very hard for some reason.

Absolutely it would be an inconvenience. They won't be driving straight home they'd be looking for chargers to get them home and waiting far longer than filling with diesel and queuing. They don't know where they'll be day to day a lot of work is reactive and emergency.

I'd guess within a week we would be canceling jobs and having engineers stranded with no battery or driving around to charge before getting to a job. I couldn't see them getting anywhere near 200kms out of even an 80kw battery.

Different ball game to a private car. We have a 24,000 euro a month fuel bill at the moment so I'd love to cut that out but would see sales drop or wages increase to offset that and a lot of very pissed off staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Some will find it easy to keep believing the nonsense that some large global oems are spinning such as Toyota. Price up a new replacement engine and an automatic gearbox for a modern car. It’ll buy you a good chunk of an EV battery. Bizarre

UK EV market is not so dependent on having decent range. They have public transport options and a better public charging network that make smaller battery EV’s viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

The lack of EV grants and no significant disincentive to buying ICEs may also be a factor. As many, many EV advocates continue to argue, the vast majority of Irish drivers travel less that 40 - 50km daily and charge almost exclusively at home. Only reason smaller EVs are not selling here is that manufacturers make more money from selling bigger cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

^^ Yeah, so the real world figure of 200kms is about spot on.

It's not that much of an ordeal! Plus you would surely get fuel during your shift. Maybe at lunch or passing.

200km range is a long way away from adequate but it's surely improving with every generation!

• Advertisement

200kms is pretty standard for most small commercial EV’s currently for sale. Ok for your local flower shop doing deliveries but far from adequate for most use cases. While businesses can still vat back on diesel etc. , there’s very little incentive for them to make the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

What's people feelings on 2023 EV sale numbers?

Will we see exponential growth again, up 80% over 2021 this year OR relatively stable numbers due to supply limiting factors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

I would say a strong growth. Alot of cars ordered in 2022 will only arrive in 2023 leading to a boom next year.

Overall for 2023, I think it will be relatively stable with maybe a 20-30% increase on last year. Q1-Q2 will be busy with cars being delivered that were ordered over the last 6 months and others taking advantage of the SEAI grant before July. After that EV sales could be very modest and it’ll be more about economics than supply issues. A combination of recent and future new car price increases, used car values dropping off, interest rate rises making pcp & hp unattractive, fuel prices stabilising and high electricity prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

There are a few reasons to think why new car prices won’t come down when supply is resolved. They just may not increase as much as other things when supply constraints are resolved. The EU is expecting to be above it’s target of 2% inflation to the end of 2025 which means skewed economics for many things. For cars add the reducing government levy, higher interest rates so worse financing deals, lower second hand car prices. The fuel and electricity prices can still be volatile. China is re opening so there is more volatility that stability in next few years

imo this makes any 221-223 EV a good deal (relative to other things)

Tesla is the only car maker (except the Chinese) who actually make profits on their EVs, so I won't expect any other manufacturer to bring any prices down, even if we lose the €5000 subsidy sometime next year.

Ambitious prediction: Tesla Model Y best selling car in Ireland. Or worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wonder how many women buy Teslas….

anyway, the selection is very unbalanced at the moment. Lots of premium and crossover cars but few enough practical family cars at reasonable price. I’d be all over an ID3 estate. Efficiency is going to get more and more important too with electricity prices as they are. And too many of the cars in the market are needlessly massive heavy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

My woman (That sounds terrible😊) would love one just for the Dog mode.😃

Joking apart, they seem popular with the fairer sex..

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hasn't ev sales been about 80% up on the previous year for the last 2 years now?

Either:

Lots of the early adopters have got their 400km+ range ev now, and have no need to buy again for a few years, so uptake will slow a bit.

Or

Word is getting out that EVs work and demand will again surpass supply.

I reckon the second option. I don't see it slowing... Unless they remove the grant

Cost of living has to start affecting people's spending. New car sales figures will drop drastically. Ice and EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

Old enough to remember the aftermath of the GFC and people with money sitting in the bank were nervous to buy new cars as didn't want to be perceived as showing off they had money. We haven't reached that stage yet. It may not happen again. But just to note

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think the slowing is starting to happen already. Some reports of more cancelled orders for 2023 already in the trade. (Some might be due to late deliveries) Grant is going or definitely being reduced. The €50K EV BIK exemption is being reduced and hence EV’s aren’t as attractive as company cars as they were this time last year. Company Cars & Fleet requirements make up a huge share of new car sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I believe we'll probably see a slight reduction in the growth rate. In terms of market share by end of 2023 I'd be expecting around 20-25%. Maybe 10% PHEV (Could be higher).

Overall volume may take a hit given the current economic situation.

As for best selling EV, I'm fairly certain it will be the ID.4 by a wide margin. Production has skyrocketed such that the ordering constraints shouldn't be much of an issue anymore.

I know the manager of a fairly sizable VW dealer and he told me that more than half their current order book for 2023 are EVs, says its nearly doubled from last year.

Funny enough he says most people are requesting to collect a fully charged car and trying to do that is costing them a small fortune.

Is he really giving out about the cost of having to charge customers cars for collection?

Miserable shower

I wonder did he put diesel in the Tiguan tanks in a previous life

Demand is certainly there I would say, and supply is increasing with additional factories being brought online for most brands and more models getting released

My guess is another step increase in sales, but possibly not as big as this year's. Maybe around 50-60% increase on current numbers

The Journal.ie had an article up saying Applegreen were going to stop selling fossil fuels in 2024!

They seem to have deleted it again. 2024 eh, which "journalist" missed that one before posting

The transition will be quick. But not THAT quick 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

They've come out stating it came from a spam press release.

Shame as bold decisions are needed, but no business could survive that timeline.

No, but when you see the likes of Shell converting entire forecourts over to EV charging it's easy to see where they think the future is

• Advertisement

I think if they followed through they would set down a marker that they really cared about the environment.... go Applegreen

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Well I think the problem is having to install multiple DC fast chargers as you have a large amount of cars to prepare and get charged up in a very short period of time. They aren't left charging over night.

He had at least 40 brand new ID.4s there when I was there, 40x77kWh is over 3MWh of electricity that's going to be used during peak daytime hours. Definitely not cheap. Also probably a large draw on the local network.

20 euro or so of electricity for a 50000 euro car shouldn't be a problem. Nor should the logistics of scheduling charging multiple vehicles from a commercial premises that sells them. My EV came with a full charge and I absolutely expected that.

Doesn't have to be DC and don't need loads of chargers either, how many get handed over in any given day, even in January?

I worked in a bmw dealership years ago and the rhetoric was always about how to milk the customer for anything possible.

If EVs are so much better, why do they need incentives (subsidies) and why must there be a disincentive to ICE, as EVs are so much better. Surely the tax on oil and diesel is sufficient disincentive or is more required. Is it not obvious that further incentives (subsidies) will only be added to the price by the OEMs?

Which Chinese make a profit on their EVs? BYD make a small profit but not Nio, Li or Xpeng

Closing the business is definitely one way of putting down a marker

They aren't going to deliver 40 cars in a single day. The dealership doesn't just roll them off the trucks and then throw the keys to the customer, the cars are checked, cleaned and all the paperwork needs to be done. There's probably only a few ID.4s delivered per day

My local VW dealership has a bunch of AC chargers and a 60kW dual plug DC charger, I'm guessing it'll do 30kW when two cars are plugged in

They seem to charge most of the cars using the AC chargers, probably overnight and then they top them up from the DC unit before delivery.

It's a pretty good system IMO, when my mum picked up her ID.3 I was able to demo plugging the car in and out so she'd know what to do at home

I'm pretty sure the dealership can handle the cost of charging. I'd say because it's an extra cost it comes out of the salespersons commission, which is why they're annoyed

Mostly the Chinese companies making cars mainly for the Chinese market, really low end stuff. That's why I didn't really want to mention them as they are not that relevant (yet) for our western markets

What is really remarkable though is that Tesla manage to make 25%+ margin even on their cheapest cars, which are well equipped as standard and are cost competitive compared with other EVs that sell without generating any profit. This is where Tesla is many years ahead of the competition, not so much any particular tech advantage.

• Advertisement

Does the tesla 25% take account of all the warranty repairs, the 257 failures per 100 cars?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement