Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Rashists join Ukraine in celebrating Christmas on the 25th December. 200 soldiers have absconded and gone on the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That's the danger of any peace agreement with Russia. They will just use their time to build up their military to invade again and learning from their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We all know Saratov now as the base of Russia's long range bombers that was very recently attacked by a Ukrainian drone. Now there's reports that a soldier was killed by strangulation in Saratov. His body has been returned to his relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

The substance of the picture is true and that is all that matters.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another reminder. If you are incapable of interacting in a civil manner then do not post at all. Otherwise you will face a threadban and further sanction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

A landgrab for sure, agree with you there, but….could all of this been a sign of something more?

This my own gut feeling, based on nothing, but part of me wonders if Putin felt that unless he at least tried for a military take-over of Kyiv, then his days were already kind of numbered. Belarus might only be a few years from thier own version of a Euromaidan, and if that happens, what would that mean for Putin’s Moscow?

My guess is that he wanted a war, first to grab Ukraine proper, and second to give himself the appearance of a military strong-man. Then he’d be safe in post for as long as he liked.

Alas for him….that’s not how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Russia would be foolish to imagine that there are not western trained Ukrainian commandos and technical saboteurs operating in the border provinces.

Maybe they aren't naive about it at all, maybe things are so bad in their security services as a whole now, that they can do little about it.

I would imagine this soldier came across a Ukrainian special forces insertion of some sort and they killed him.

Just one more to add to the 98,000+ Russian boys Putin has sent to their deaths, these 10 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

More incompetence from the 2nd army!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

He has always had to have an enemy that the Russian people need to be protected from, or to be seen to be righting historical wrongs against them. Always the Hero / victim, never the instigator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

You could well be right at that. Certainly not the usual Russian military way of executing their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Basic journalism ethics is that you use the photo as it is. Whether or not it “gets the correct point across” is irrelevant. It’s accurate or it is not. I am reminded of Reuters firing a photographer in Beirut for submitting an inaccurate photo of an Israeli air strike. Nobody was arguing that there wasn’t as Israeli air strike going on, but the photo was not an actual depiction.

There are honest mistakes, and there is deceitfulness. There is enough going on that the latter should be unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The warm European winter continues. Putin must be punching walls. A severe cold spell will eventually come but the fear of a long cold winter is over. There will be no blackmail of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't know. I think this has been such a disaster that they won't be trying anything again for another generation at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They have been using up a surplus of military equipment that took them 70 years to build up while crippling their economy,I agree completely with you, they won't be attacking anyone in my lifetime again, more likely that they will have to defend themselves from invasion,loss of sections of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some months ago, I remember seeing that Lukashenko was asking the Russians if Belarus could have its nukes back. They must have been transferred to Russia all those years ago, along with any other Soviet nukes from the newly independent corrupt former members of the USSR..

I've seen no mention of this since, but I don't imagine that Putin's trust goes that far with his sycophantic chum. Has anyone seen anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Russia waited 8 years to get ready after 2014.. most of that financial preparation,

A peace treaty now , wouldn't mean peace - it'd be Russia trying to prevent a Ukrainian recovery, while getting a large army in place , refurbishing equipment ,and stockpiling ammunition..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

People don't seem to realise this enough. Russia is burning through a Cold War inventory decades in the making and storing, it absolutely doesn't have domestic ability to replace these losses in any sort of remotely meaningful way.

Modern war is high-tech war, and hugely expensive. Russia's industrial base and economy cannot support a protracted modern war against an opponent willing to dog it out like Ukraine is, even with limited backing from western nations.

Their genuinely modern inventory is totally minuscule compared to their Cold War stocks. They're not built or structured, economically or industrially, for a modern war of attrition.

Neither is Ukraine obviously, but it has the obvious defenders advantage and the national will to resist in any form possible, as well as western backing.

They literally cannot win at this point, and even if they gave up today, their military has been so severely weakened it wouldn't be restored to its pre-invasion level for a very, very long time.

For Russia to win this war at this point, it'd need massive numerical superiority of probably 5:1 in tanks, aircraft, soldiers, etc, as well as industrial capability to maintain that ratio. None of which it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No one wants to invade Russia, and Putin would instantly use nukes in any such situation.

They aren't under any threat whatsoever from anyone, only themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Advertisement

No country would proactively attack a nuclear-armed Russia, they'd be guaranteeing their own destruction (Russia has thousands of nuclear weapons)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Coincidentally, Swedish Grippen's are now the aircraft of choice for the Irish Aer Corps. Finally, the Civil Service has realised that, apart from a clear constitutional breach of Irish Sovereignty, we cannot continue to rely on the RAF QRF to intercept Russian bombers.

12 to 16 aircraft are being proposed. I'm my mind, it's a no-brainer. They are extremely versatile jets. Perfect for a small air force like ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't quite agree with you, it may not be an immediate conversation piece but the effects and facts of this war are in all our faces daily. Whether it's refugees or rising food and energy costs - everyone dealing with daily life can see the consequences.

That's a path we have chosen as part of the EU and as individual citizens are paying the price of it. We are all invested in this war to a greater or lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

Zelensky wasn't born yesterday, and he will know as well as anyone that the Russians could not be taken at their word, so any peace deal would have to stipulate grave consequences if the Russians were to have another go at Ukraine. At a minimum, it would mean western troops on the ground in Ukraine, at least west of the Dnieper and heavy fortifications along the eastern and northern borders. But full NATO membership would be ideal. Ukraine is the prime example of what can happen when you're not in it and you have a massive belligerent neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The attack on Ukraine was planned anyway. US intelligence had info that Putin was up to something as far back as last autumn and they were aware he may have been planning an attack on Ukraine proper. It's true though that he appears to have wrecked the Russian military and economy in the process, as he assumed the war would be over in 3-5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll point this out again, Russia has a tendency to win the wars it loses. Its more willing endure high losses than most countries. Eventually the other side choses to cut bait and compromise rather than accept further loses even though they're knocking the **** out of Russia.

That's why we should worry about the US not giving Ukraine the hardware to prevent any further bombardment of civilian targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Another Russian missile attack this morning. The volume looks to be down on previous.

Gas back to pre-war prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Afghanistan comes to mind when countering that argument.

• Advertisement

Looks like it was far fewer than the 120 that the Russians were claiming, and it appears that the Ukrainians got quite a few of them. Three injuries but no deaths reporting in Kyiv. A lot of power out in various cities though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement