Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Be nice to see Connors back, if he gets a decent run I think he'll be back in the Irish squad, after Josh he's our next best 7 but just having a mare with the injuries lately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yep! It's been like C.O.B. Neverending injuries

Thinking back, Leavy was in some form 2018. Would VDF had this season if Leavy was still playing? Jeez, that's serious talent at openside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Leinster were looking at him abit more in the number 6 position this year.. or he seemed to come on there.

Will be hard to shift VDF from the 7 Jersey but the number 20 Jersey is wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

2 years ago nobody gives of a chance when we kicked your ass at the RDS

but the next 3 comments after are way more ponderated then yours, and yeah it'll be tough, likely loss, but we'll give you a difficult night if we start well!

• Advertisement

easily, Blade is top-class, and Carty can be on his day (did not happen recently though)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Right well pretty sure you’re going to be in a minority of about 5 people globally with that view and 4 of those will be the Connacht halfback’s parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Totally understand bias to anybodies own club, but do you genuinely believe that is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Okay, let’s introduce a few facts into this nonsense.

1. It was 3 years ago, not 2.
    2. Connacht were given a good chance of an upset because Leinster fielded a very weak squad on the day, particularly in the outside backs, and Connacht were close to full strength. The back 3 had 2 19 year olds who haven’t exactly kicked on since then (Smith and O’Reilly).
    3. Sexton went off injured after 25 mins and Leinster had no 10 cover. They brought on Turner for him and had Luke McGrath taking the place kicks.

Blade is decent but there is simply no way that Blade-Carty is even close to as good as JGP-Sexton. It’s a laughable suggestion. If they were as good as the starting 9 and 10 for the number 1 ranked test team in the world then they wouldn’t be playing for Connacht, no offence intended. Connacht aren’t exactly a top side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Both feet? I thought just one. Nathan Hughes would do the one hand reach back and lift a lot at Wasps and Bristol and I'm pretty sure he would only have 1 foot behind the ball.

• Advertisement

Yep, both feet. Was a law change a couple of years ago on it. Refs were hot on it for a year or so, but they’ve all but stopped looking at it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Refs being hot on particular rules then losing interest is a peculiarly rugby thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If refs were hot on everything all the time, we’d see very little rugby. Directives change and so does to focus on certain aspects.

Wish world rugby would become hot on offside for once though.

Okay let's re-introduce a few facts into that nonsence

"No offence" as you said but January 2021 to January 2023 it's 2 years not 3.

"No offence" as you said but if some Leinster fans have long-term interest for anything else than Leinster (which is indeed the best team in the word, no irony in this last excuse for you), they'd know :

Blade and Carty are in a really decent team, Connacht is not what you seen in 2008, and Blade and Carty can match anyone, including your pair, on a good day. Which sadly happens 1 game out 10, I didn't say otherwise, but it may happen on sunday. They are not average players you see in Scotland of Wales. They are "medium range" on avarage. Very different. Not 12/20 all-season but 7/20 one day and 17/20 next.

Connacht will be close to full-strenght, you clearly won't (Porter Sheehan etc). Like in 2021. And Sexton injury has even more chance to happen now than in 2021 (don't get me wrong I don't wish that, 6 nations on sight)

Connacht are stronger than in 2021. Leinster even more though. And no real n°8 (Boyle) or experienced lock (Thornbury) will remove us the extra % we'd need for a major upset

So yes you should win, probably, but if Connacht start well (they didn't recently), it's a tricky one for you

Apologies. UR had it down as 2020, which is actually wrong. But Connacht are not stronger than they were in 2021. Connacht came 2nd in their conference that year. They are currently 12th in the league. That’s not better.

You said Blade-Carty is a match for JGP-Sexton. That’s just not true. Not even remotely.

I'd rather lose a match in yhe league now, than lose a play off euro match.

This week depends on who we field? I'm hoping Furlong gets onto the bench at least. I assume Ryan plays and either of Conan or Doris starts.

Connacht on their day can be formidable. I reckon it will be relatively tight. There's a few Ex Leinster lads with a point to prove.

Will Connors has only played 29 times for Leinster. That's mad! He's been involved for 6 years. I would like to see him get a run. Is he straight back in? Does he get over Penny?

I'm not too sure he will. I would ease him back in. I thought Leavy was rushed back in and he probably needed a little more time.

Besides, Penny is playing well. He's earned every minute he's played. Why dampen his efforts by jumping Connors back in. Maybe Connors can get onto the bench and work up a head of steam.

Carty even on his best day isn’t remotely close to Sexton on an off day.

he is, he had great games or part of. This year not so much sadly

and table doesn't mean everything. I do think Connacht are stronger, more potential than in 2021. Didn't click for now. Hope so on sunday.

But again, without Boyle Thornbury and (maybe) A.Byrne, we're not 100%

And it's harder to beat even a 60% full-team of Leinster

I admire your confidence.

However, claiming an outhalf who your fellow fans are looking to be replaced. As good as one who was just nominated for WPOTY. Is stretching optimism into the realms of delusion. Carty is a bang average mid level URC outhalf. Who occasionally rises above that level. Sexton is a generational player.

• Advertisement

Carty is average. He just isn't top level. There's plenty of reasons why he does not have many international caps, the most obvious being, he's not good enough. The reality is Sexton at 37 is better than Carty. Imagine if Sexton stuck around u til he's 40! Would Carty bypass him?

I'd prefer a very limited but, very consistent Ross Byrne.

I just was thinking back to when Connacht supporters were saying that Wooten was in line for international duty. Now, he's not even in the 23. Some are calling for him to be released.

I've always been skceptical toward Alex Wootton, weak defender who cost us a try vs Munster recently again (great attacking threat, and who knows he could have been Lowe profile, was weak there too). But no, I'm not blind-eye, Woots may be released, no issue.

Carty is having some mare this season, yes we call for competition at 10 (Hawshaw?). BUT he has moments of genius, and he's the kind of guys who can raise his standard very high, smart, some vision, huge qualities. Just say you will swallow your (legitimate) pride on Sunday if it happens. It doesn't mean it will, doesn't mean either I can't see Jack has had very bad games overall, not really with hands or defence, he was ok, but kicks (in open play or tee) matter for a 10. And he wasn't up to it. At all. Mentally. Let's see..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster have played this very well, rested a lot of first teamers for Thomond and still got the win, so can now field a strong team for Connacht too. Send the second string to Ospreys and everyone is rested for Europe.

Healy Kelleher Alaalatoa

Ryan Molony

Doris Conan VDF

JGP Sexton

Dk Ngatai Osborne Larmour

JOB

I would hope Connacht come all guns blazing, they'll have had 9 days since the Ulster game, but I don't believe any XV they can field should be able to compete with that side.

again, I'm not afraid of that team bar back-row

i don't say Connacht will win

but they should feel they can, like Ulster and Munster did

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

Moments of genius? I don’t think I can remember one. Maybe his chip kick to score a winning try against Leinster in the RDS but that wasn’t near genius. To be a genius you have to replicate magical or game winning moments time and time again. Once in a career does not a genius make.

I will take it back if Carty has the sort of career that brings Connacht into the top 8 over the next few seasons but the writings on the wall in relation to that and him. I don’t believe he has the general playmaking ability to bring his team up and if Connacht had the ambition they would start at looking for an understudy if not replacement over the coming season or two.

He needs to spark plays, create line breaks, manipulate the opposition defence to create gaps, but it’s all too slow and readable currently.

That's why I said moments of genious and not genious.

https://media.balls.ie/uploads/2019/09/22105246/giphy.gif

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1367924388629274629

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=599568747559733

this last one in particular

The issues often take over the brillance, but he CAN do things Edimburgh or Munster outhalt don't. Hope he does on sunday (or Hawkshaw if he starts)

Post edited by connachta on

Carty needs to find touch. He has to improve placekicking. Otherwise... he's not getting national call ups.

• Advertisement

I hope the ex Leinster boys do have great careers at Connacht. Fair play to them. I see Dowling is getting minutes. He was a good pick up for Connacht.

In saying that, I wouldn't mind having Prendergast back.

Advertisement