Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

Financial Times has a piece on the Irish property market that indicates prices will continue to rise.

I don't hear anybody talking about the redress schemes. Once they get up and running there is going to be even more pressure on the housing market when people have to rent while their own houses are being rebuilt and I'm sure there will be a slow down on new builds when all these rebuilds start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

If you're talking about the "redress" scheme for Donegal you needn't worry. Theyve remediated 20 houses so far and have absolutely no intention of speeding that up despite whatever rubbish O'Brien spouts on RTE or the "420k For Everyone In Donegal" false headlines in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

you have repeatedly said…let’s wait and see how it works out no need to keep repeating yourself

I agree it's not going to happen overnight, and houses will probably only be rebuilt when they get to the point where they are uninhabitable, but huge numbers of properties in the west are visibly affected now and it will create extra competition for builders when a redress scheme is approved.

There will be a scheme but it will be a political spoof. Its been on hold for over a year already as the council and housing agency play ducks and drakes with the terms and conditions involved. Until someone gets into court and proves the government failed to regulate quarries adequately it will be a pretend scheme to fix houses for a small handful of people every year who can access the funds to top up the grant awarded to the tune of 150k+ as we have already seen. Until such times as the government is forced to get serious about redress the effect of these redress schemes on the rental market/construction industry will be negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Yes I concede house prices may rise in nominal terms. They may even rise as fast as (or faster ) than inflation for a while anyway. But mortgage payers will have to pay higher mortgages as interest rates rise and I don`t see those slightly higher interest rates bringing down inflation. To bring down inflation, interest rates would have to be higher than inflation and that can`t happen without crashing the EU economy. So the ECB is walking a very fine line between crashing the markets and prevent inflation from eroding purchasing power too quickly. If they do accidentally cause seriously problems ie margin calls, mortgage defaults, stock market declines, bank solvency issues etc I do not doubt they will do one hell of a u-turn which will send the Euro plummeting and inflation skyward. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Why does government/state need to regulate quarries. What happened to accountability.

You don't hear of these issues in NI and there regulation is a fraction of the cost here effective and insured.

Government won't hold those responsible accountable and have set up systems that allow the industry to get away with literal attempted manslaughter

These are all choices, one can only assume they are made for the benefit of there buddies. It's impossible to be so stupid and label it an oversight with so many issues for decades

I read a few years ago that Germany secured some sort of guarantee or insurance deal whereby they would be compensated if Eurozone inflation were to rise above 20%. So the the ECB were forced to pivot from it`s present policy of raising interest rates to lowering interest rates, that guarantee could come into play putting existential pressure on the EU. Unfortunately I cannot find a reference to the guarantee but I don`t doubt we will here of it, very possibly in the next 12 months. The reason I am confident of this is because I think inflation will go a lot higher toward the end of 2023 (contrary to mainstream opinion).

Inflation will go higher because

a) the interest rate increases are inadequate

b) Putin has no intention of backing down. The war the west is funding has both costs and consequences.

c) The Netherlands feeds 500 million people but the nitrates ban on Dutch farmers will reduce their output and increase food prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is not a general economics thread.

There is no accountability/justice in this country. If you are lucky you get a pay off through the courts. No admission of any wrongdoing though. Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You would prefer if it all went to judgement? Doesn’t a settlement often benefit the plaintiff, and they are under no obligation to accept it.

Ah Dav010 - popping up to defend the judicial system now. Since there is no obligation to accept a settlement it's grand. Nothing to see here. 🤣 Do you dress up as Captain Government for Halloween?

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What an odd post.

Im not defending anyone, just pointing out that the plaintiff can refuse the settlement offer and go to judgement.

What has what you posted got to do with the property market?

I was responding to another poster about accountability for quarries alongside redress schemes. You know this though. Its only a few posts back.

Have you ever been inside the high court? I have.

I have seen judges read "their own" judgements they've never even seen before that day written for them by state departments at the end of week long trials racking up massive legal fees for the plaintiff.

This is what happens when a case can set a precedent that threatens to cost the state billions goes to court. So let me tell you I expect it to be no different when someone with enough money takes a case when these redress schemes dont rebuild their houses as 1000s will come in behind if the result is favourable. I concede no-one is under any obligation to accept a settlement but I wouldnt blame them for taking the money when you see the result of entering the high court on a case that threatens state coffers. The only difference with this scandal (and the scale of this scandal) is we might see a public inquiry alongside a legal challenge. This can uncover all kinds of helpful evidence and also compel individuals to actually tell the truth for once. Its a long shot but until it happens any redress scheme is just the government doing the minimum required to defer such a legal challenge.

So I'll say it again. In this country you dont get justice and accountability. If you are lucky you get money. O'Briens much touted redress schemes may throw out headlines saying billions are set aside for redress but in reality will have very little effect on the rental/property market the previous poster was alluding to as the conditions attached are and will continue to be completely ridiculous. We've seen this already with government redress schemes.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

"Not bound by current rent control regulations"

Christchurch Dublin - how would this be a thing, the property has never been rented?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

Would the fact that it's never been rented mean you can set rent at current market or a bit above have morphed into not bound by current rent regulations?

So agent not being accurate....the rent controls will use what you first set the rent as a baseline to apply the rules and regs might be more accurate but doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Was amazed to hear of a woman working for an auctioneer here in Clare who has been put on a three day week, apparently the work just isn’t there.

Maybe people are a bit more reluctant to buy with high prices, rising interest rates and a weaker economic outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Maybe the main cohort of people who were ever going to relocate out of the bigger cities has already happened? Given prices outside of Dublin have been rising faster than Dublin itself maybe the peak has already been reached and as you infer the high prices might now be preventing sales. If you look at the US once the market stalls the EA community are very quick to cut back on staff costs

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

The housing crisis is an intergenerational mess and needs a COVID style response to fix it and it is holding back the country, so says Leo Varadker. Yet again, empty words.

There's too many vested interests that think the housing crisis is just about supply, but to alleviate the crisis, house prices and rents need to materially drop and this is a step too far for too many of these interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

That's great Leo, don't forget to add in that it's your policies the last ten years that have us in this fking mess.

• Advertisement

I don`t agree with the housing redress scheme. I don`t agree with the cement levy either. I would agree with a state redress scheme for those impacted by the mica/pyrite problem but not for those impacted by dodgy building practices. So what is the difference you might ask. Dodgy buildings requiring fire proofing remediation tend to be concintrated in places like Dublin. Those affected by Mica/pyrite are located in the north west. This "Dublin is Ireland" mentality is harmful. If Ireland was a cancer patient, Dublin would be the tumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

What an absolutely ridiculous statement and that comparison is shameful.

Nearly 30% of the population live in Dublin and 40% in the greater Dublin area.

So screw some poor people who were shafted by developers and builders, and help others just because of their geographical location? That’s very clever…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I dont agree with the concrete levy either as its punishing future buyers but it's hardly surprising. Any time anything goes rogue in this country a levy, tax or bailout is brought in and no-one held to account. For the fire proofing apartments defects people should be in jail - it should be a criminal investigation. Can you still get an apartment block fire certified years before it's built today?

I find your Dublin comments a bit strange. Everyone who is affected by these issues is entitled to redress and compensation no matter where they live in Ireland but there has to be some kind of accountability. When you have a government who wont do it what are your options? You can attempt to get compensated personally but what about the wider issues. Quarries are still producing sh!te blocks and concrete. Even if you had full redress and rebuild for everyone in the morning where does the concrete come from and how can we be certain of its quality? What aggregate testing do we have in place at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

The only way to force down inflation is for interest rates to rise above inflation for a protracted period of time and the ECB can`t do that because it will crash the EU economy.

If this current bout ofinflation was demand driven then that would work. But this is the problem Central Banks are facing.

You should have a read of a lecture given by Lagarde last month which explains ECBs challenges on using monetary policy to control inflation quite well.

"As a result, ECB analysis finds that demand and supply factors are currently contributing more or less equally to core inflation, with demand being more important for services and supply more important for industrial goods..."

Raising interest rates may temper the demand side, but controling inflation on the supply side much harder to deal with and Central Banks, despite what they say, have very little influence on this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don’t know tbh, rural areas would have benefited more from remote work, and this woman would have been selling houses in a fairly large town so I’d say it’s unrelated, but I don’t know for sure. Property certainly was in very short supply there until a few months ago, but there have been some completions and the economic outlook is a bit uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your commentary here is all either insulting or really rather odd, and generally off-topic too. I'd advise you to read the forum charter, and mod warnings in post 1 here and then, preferably, not post again after doing so.

So it`s alright to screwpeople in Donegal but not in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

This shows how incompetent or corrupt or both they are. Inflation, as measured by the CPI, has only recently soared, but the general cost of living has soared for much longer, probably since 2015/16 when we were well out of the woods from the 08 mess, things started to get way out of hand. The biggest driver of the cost of living crisis is housing; it typically makes up 20-50% of people's expenditure from their pay packet and has increased by double figures each year for the majority of the last decade. The single biggest expense for people growing so hugely has created devastating problems for the country. The large driver of this was the central bank itself, keeping rates too low for too long and horsing free money into the capital markets to allow debt-fuelled zombies to linger on instead of collapsing. The ECB are now caught in an Inflation© crisis of their own doing and scrambling to cover themselves by blaming COVID, Russia, Brexit and anything else they can.

The big question that officials don't seem to want to entertain is "why, at full employment and with good economic growth, do we not want people to save money and not just borrow it the whole time? Why do we not want companies to wean themselves off debt?" There is a dangerous normalcy bias that is in play which thinks that private debt is perfectly normal and is how society works, but we are now at the point where the whole system is debt driven and saving or making profits is not encouraged at all. This is where the reckoning should have happened after 2019 if COVID didn't come along and justify keeping the whole QE/low rates farce alive. The corrective measures needed are now much larger and people and businesses that don't have solid profits/jobs/cash savings are going to get found out to be swimming with no togs as the "easy money tide" recedes into next year.

Why have we been supporting debt driven companies and individuals while giving little to no support to those people that save and businesses that have low debt and solid profits? This is unsustainable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Again, people deserve redress for bad building practices no matter where they are living, Donegal to Dublin.

You said people in Donegal deserved redress but people in Dublin don’t deserve it because of where they live. Absolutely bizarre.

Advertisement